Help desperately needed please

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Tue May 15, 2007 10:01 am

I think shameful because what happens is a young professional comes on here looking for advice and is moving to the coast, Estepona we'll use as an Example.

Then some twit based in a tiny little spanish town in the middle of Granada whose painter decorator husband can't find any work comes back with a response that says.....Are you mad? is this a joke? No spanish? no years of planning? don't be silly etc etc....

This would be a great response if she was a painter decorator in a little spanish town in the middle of Granada, not such a great response otherwise!!!!
from La Cala with love...........

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue May 15, 2007 11:07 am

Colena - personally moving to Spain was the best thing we ever did and I recommend anyone to give it a try.

HOWEVER, finding work was not easy and - unfortunately - there are an awful lot of people with the TEFL certificate here chasing every vacancy.

Why not rent for 12 months but keep a base in the UK - that way you can find out if Spain in general, or the particular area you choose, really does suit you AND your son.

Actually I think that aged 7 is a great time to enter a totally Spanish speaking school - everyone we know who has done this has been fluent within 6 months whilst many adults, including us, struggle past the present tense 5 years down the line.

Do realise that you will be living on a tight budget - cost of living here is not that far off UK now in many areas - and, if you genuinely find it hard to live in the Uk on 2K a month you may really struggle here.

Accommodation is much dearer on the coast - why not look slightly inland where prices are cheaper yet the coast is very accessible?

I sincerely wish you every success - your dream is achievable but it WILL be hard going.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 pm

After you have done the weekend course (part 1) are you going to part 2 (80 hours of guided self-study) and part 3 (40 hour week of teaching practice in a UK language school)? If you do that you might get a job in a language school but be prepared for part-time hours and evening working. I understand that the 'better' schools prefer Celta teachers and want at least one year's experience.

angel
Tourist

Postby angel » Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 am

From my experience even the best laid plans can go to pot in an instant - I have seen that happen to many a new arrival in Spain. The right frame of mind is the key and the determination to stick it out until it comes right. Good luck.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 am

Best of luck getting a job.

The weekend TELF course is not worth the paper it is written on unless you have good Spanish and experience in teaching to support it. :shock:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Seat.driver
Tourist

Postby Seat.driver » Sat May 19, 2007 8:15 pm

for what its worth, i moved here with 50 quid in my back burner, and no job. I didnt have a 7 year old, but they dont cost much, and if youve got 4k to get started, then there is a chance!

dont bother witht he tefl (i had that too) best option is et up your own business...it may take time, but its the only way forward here. There are plenty of expats here dying to find stff to spend thier money on, and as long as youve got a bit of nouse, there are plenty of options.... maybe not fungirola way, but there is plenty around for a hard workingperson!

good luck whatever tho, keep in touch!

seatdriver

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun May 20, 2007 11:41 am

Seat, as a matter of interest, what is your profession and what actions do you perform in Spain to earn your salary and do you have a fulltime contract, regards Retro.
Ah! the full english!!

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun May 20, 2007 9:57 pm

Er, am I reading this wrong or what?? How can you say that a 7 year old doesn't cost much???? We have an 11 year old and already he is size 9 feet!! So we are talking adult clothes, shoes etc.

Anyway, good luck to you Colena - we did it 2 years ago renting our house in UK still, but bought here now, we have work (not regular, but enough to keep us going, easy) so go for it if it's in your heart to do it.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun May 20, 2007 10:51 pm

It's funny that we are all chatting to coleena but she seems LONG gone,
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Mon May 21, 2007 10:12 am

annie_d wrote:It's funny that we are all chatting to coleena but she seems LONG gone,
Probably just unloading her bags at Malaga airport :?
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

colena
Tourist

My move

Postby colena » Mon May 21, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi everyone. No, I am here. Thanks you for all your advice. I have not been well so this is my first opportunity to have come online. I am considering all you have said. Some people say just do it and take a chance, and just as many people say don't so at the end of the day, I have to decide what to do and only I can make that decision. Every day, I wake up in a different fame of mind so at the moment, I just don't know.

Chrissie
Resident

Help desperately needed please

Postby Chrissie » Mon May 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Why don't you pack a couple of suitcases and go to Spain for 6 or 8 weeks. Look upon it is a longish holiday, and see what transpires when you get there?
You're bound to be getting cold feet about any move at this stage, just have courage and do it. As has been said before, you really have NOTHING to lose - think how you would feel if you spent the next few years regretting not having tried :!: At the age your son is now he will soon adapt, but if you leave it much longer before you know it you'll be worrying about his GCSEs :cry:
Good luck
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 22, 2007 9:35 am

Well ,Colena,
You've been offered all sorts of advice, from totally reckless to the very cautious, and really they are all valid comments.....However only you know your real personal circumstances, and accordingly, I would suggest that you 'sit down' and make a written list of pros and cons....
Many people make the move abroad because of difficult personal circumstances, some are successful here, many are not, and have to return to their home country..
It is very difficult to get any form of work in Spain, and opening a business is frought with problems from the onset..I really wouldn't want to put anyone off from trying to 'better' their lifestyle, but I can only suggest that you proceed with extreme caution..
I'm sure that you will make the 'right' decision, and I wish you success in what ever you do.Take Care.......

juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby juliesteve&joe » Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 am

Rookie- I completely agree. She asked for advice not on your opinions of whether or not she should make the move- that she can decide for herself.
The more I read on A.com the more negative I feel about the whole forum. I hardly visit it these days, because of all the negativity & condescending attitude of some users.
All I can say is that all these users must have planned there move so much better than I did. We decided to move here In the January, bought in the March and were here by August. We sold up completely in England- leaving a fantastic lifestyle, and lots of disposable income- to come to no jobs. We are still here and it was the best move we ever made.
We have a 2 year old who now has an amazing, uncomplicated lifestyle.
Good luck to you, life is too short. Going back to the UK if it all didn't work out, would not be a disaster, and your son would have an experience.
Jesus, people live a little!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Well said Julie, couldn't have put it better myself 8)

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Tue May 22, 2007 5:54 pm

I sent Colena a pm with proper advice and information, she has been in touch and appreciated it.

I hope that people are not treated like that in future - we are supposed to encourage members - not make them suicidal !!!!
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 22, 2007 5:57 pm

By PM :!: isn't anyone else moving to Spain entitled to this "proper" information :roll:

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Tue May 22, 2007 6:01 pm

Good point Katy - I asked her to consider working in Gib and living in Spain - then she gets the best of both worlds - she will not have to learn a new language to work and should be able to earn a reasonable amount to keep them confortable.

She will have automatic health cover in Gib, her son will be entitled to free health cover but in Spain.

She will not be able to enrol her son into a state Gib school, but a Spanish school will probably be better for him - I can not really comment on this point as my daughter is all growed up and we did not have to sort out education.

She has sent her cv to the agencies - although they will not really take her seriously until she is over here - but being in the legal profession will help her greatly.
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Good advice :) at least you get a "real" job in Gib.

Seat.driver
Tourist

Postby Seat.driver » Wed May 23, 2007 5:20 pm

hi retro

well, i dont actually earn a salary, as I am self employed (as my post indicated!) My experience on arrival here was that

a) tefl was all but worthless
b) even though I speak fluent spanish/english, GOOD jobs, with social security and half decent hours were few and far between
c) the ones i tried turned out to be 'too good to be true' - a bunch of crooks trying to get me to work lots for low wages, and then had the cheek to try and NOT pay me (operative word was 'tried!')
d) only real option was self employed / own business.

started off with a small translation service, which basically earned me enough to survive, but with the contacts made etc, now run a slightly shakey, (in terms of loose decription of job title!) but currently very successful investment company. Basically find multiple ways of investing other peoples money, and cream off a small slice for myself...everyone is happy!

how about your good self?

i did look at gib when i moved here, all those years ago, and it was so nasty, i was not interested. I hear it has a face lift now, both physically, and image wise, and is now a better bet, but i will let people who know about gib describe that!

regards

Seat