Furniture delivery

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
maggiebee
Tourist

Furniture delivery

Postby maggiebee » Mon May 28, 2007 10:22 am

The little house that we are thinking of buying in is in the middle of a small village and has no road access. We are buying it fully furnished but would want to buy some new things eg bed, dishwasher etc. Do you know if the furniture shops would actually deliver the goods to the house? I assume this is a fairly common problem and the shops/delivery men are used to this, but I have a terrible vision of my new bed being left at the entrance to the village!!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 am

No problem Maggie. Our first place in Spain was situated in a narrow street with no car access whatsoever. It was also at the top of the town and a struggle to get anything back to................we had the same worries as you.

Not a problem, virtually every shop either in town or down at the coast were more than happy to deliver. They take it all in their stride and we worried more than they were..........if we had have ordered a full blown Aga they would have delivered it. :wink:

Must add the house also had 4 stories and they were not put out hauling stuff upstairs.

Kenny

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks kenny. You've made me feel much happier about it all. Actually, I've always wanted an Aga............
Maggie
x

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Maggie, I was totally amazed by the different attitute of the Spanish delivery men, to the 'men' we have back home.
ok, they may not have arrived exactly when they said they would, however beds were carried up to bedrooms and assembled. Also chairs, tables, sofas etc were unwrapped, assembled and positioned to our liking. then the waste wrapping was removed by them.
It was a complete culture shock for me!

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Mon May 28, 2007 12:42 pm

Wow, that sounds great, Colin. Do you - or anyone else - know how I could get rid of the old bed? Thanks, Maggie

Julie
Andalucia Guru

bed

Postby Julie » Mon May 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi Maggie

In our village you just put anything like that at the side of the bins, then watch yout watch to see how long it takes to find a new home, normally seconds :)

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Delivery

Postby gronc » Mon May 28, 2007 3:34 pm

I have always asked the sales person if they will take the old furniture away and they always said yes and did so. Even a very heavy sofa bed up lots of steps and then up a very steep drive that the van would not come down.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon May 28, 2007 4:28 pm

I agree - it's no problem at all getting things delivered to a village/townhouse with no car access. One deliveryman carried a 3 seater sofa up the street to our house on his head - the dreaded 'elf and safety police thankfully haven't reached Spain yet.

Often things we are throwing out don't even get as far as the municipal bins before they are claimed. We took down the horrible corrugated iron roofing from our roof terrace and set off to carry it down to the bins sheet by sheet. A Spanish guy passing on his bicycle said "are you throwing that out" and when we said yes, he promptly dumped his bike by the side of the road, seized the sheets of corrugated iron and made off with them. Recycling in action!

Our local council has just introduced a facility of a phone number to ring if you have items of furniture etc. to dispose of, and they will come to collect it free of charge. They are trying to encourage people to do this rather than leave stuff by the bins, so maybe your council will have something similar.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon May 28, 2007 10:15 pm

This news is very welcome to me. Our house too is off the beaten track and i havebeen quietly very worried. Restores faith in human nature, so it does.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Tue May 29, 2007 9:13 am

Many thanks for your helpful replies. It certainly doesn't look like the huge problem I'd imagined it to be!
Maggie
x

Sandy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi All

My husband works for the local furniture shop here in Casariche and go to may different houses and flats with narrow stairs. They assemble everything in the room its required and take away every last packaging. They even sweep up and leave it tidy. Lights and pictures are also hung.

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks Sandy - I'll PM you when our plans are a bit further forward.