Estate Agents, who are the honest ones?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Zofia
Resident

Estate Agents, who are the honest ones?

Postby Zofia » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Following on from a thread on the General forum, I was wondering how anyone looking for a house in Spain has any way of knowing which agents are the good ones, and which ones are the rogues? Even after 7 years of having a house here I'm still finding out things about agents who I'd thought were ok.....

Are we allowed to name names on here? Might be helpful for those looking to be able to recommend or warn.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:19 pm

I absolutely agree, people seem really reluctant to name and shame and/or recommend good agents, it would be really helpful for lots of people on here I'm sure :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Problem with this is that someone could name an agent simply because the deal never went their way for some minor reason.
If the estate agent were able to defend themselves then no problem as I am sure from what I hear there are some who do indeed bend the rules, and only recently we wasted a day driving to look at a property which was totally misdescribed.

For every bad agent there must be 100 bad or timewasting punters.
You've only got to listen to a few moans from househunters in the bars or watch living in the sun and similar.
People go over there with 20 pence and expect to get Blenheim Palace in its own orange grove with seaviews and an Olympic sized pool.

They always look pretty p1ssed off to me if the house they've been shown needs a kitchen or a lick of paint...............I reckon some of the agents must have very good temperaments as I'd last about 2 minutes before telling them to sod off :oops:

Kenny

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:52 pm

I can thoroughly recommend Mary Beker. 8) She has her practice in Cortes de la Frontera. Very experienced and gives good honest advice on country and village properties around the general Ronda/Ubrique/
Montejaque area etc. :)
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Naming and shaming is ok if a lot of punters are naming them but Kenny is right, its never black and white. I do think though (and I know a lot of you on here are agents!) that I don't think it is possible to find a truly honest agent, perhaps not downright crooked but economical with the truth.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 am

Estate agents...almost everyone who is selling...put their property up for sale with an agent.
Most of the Spanish people.. when buying...use an estate agent...knowing that their fees are high...and excepting that.. ( I personally know 3 who have brought properties this year via agent)...their are hundreds of agents who only have Spanish clients...all fully running and making a living....without any one complaining (well they might have a little moan and shrug their shoulders)about the cost of their services.... I think they are more accustomed to commissions that Brits as commissions are part of Spanish way of life.
Some estate agents are run by people who know how to sell but don´t know much about property laws and situations...the high commissions earned attract a lot of dodgy salesmen.
It used to be quite easy to search for a property direct from the seller...but things have changed as most sellers today DO use an agent...because they want to sell...
There are a lot of "agents" disguised as "private sellers" who put even higher commissions on the real owners price.... and a lot who add on to their selling price the same commissions.
How to find a good agent for buying...that seems to be the main problem... I would go for a Spanish agent... one that Spanish people use....When you find a property then insist theu negotiate a better price...or make an offer.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 am

I can recommend a an absolutely genuine and honest agent in Estepona. It took me almost six months and was about to think there was no such thing in Spain after dealing with the likes of Viva etc. Anyone interested please pm me.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 am

Campo Kenny wrote:For every bad agent there must be 100 bad or timewasting punters.
An estate agent I know has just ‘sacked’ a client.
I also know the client and I’m not at all surprised by the agents’ action. :evil:

gretch

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:57 pm

We bought through a local Spanish agent in Velez Malaga. It's a family company (pm me if you want contact details). We bought about 4 years ago, and haven't needed a gestor since, as they've been great, and helped us with all sorts of things. Imagine a UK agent still helping 4 years down the line. As someone else mentioned, they deal with mainly Spanish people, and their website is hopeless, but the people were great
AlisonB

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:33 pm

We used an agency to buy 3 years ago. One of the reasons was that of those contacted they were the only ones who listened and actually showed us what we wanted to see...not what they hoped we would buy. Bought the second house they showed us...mind you we had told them it was of interest after visiting their website. They have been invaluable with after sales services of all kinds. Everything from heloing us change over the electric to getting internet installed ..finidng someone to install septic tank etc. They were very frank also about their being no possibility of getting permission to enlarge what we already had.We did see a few others (agents) that were really not worth any effort. Suppose it all comes down to finding someone you like and can trust. Often their track record speaks for itself. Go into their office and see how many return or satisfied customers are still around!

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:57 am

We used a small local spanish agent who is well known in the village. He has sold lots of houses to happy punters so thought that was recommendation enough. In a small village reputation means alot so you look after your clients and they pass the word on.
Chris

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:10 pm

From my experiences, i believe that most of the properties the estate agents haven't even seen the properties that they are about to show you.
We have met the agents in all sorts of places, then waited for what they call a corredor (not sure on spelling) who is just a runner who goes out looking for properties on the requirements that the buyer would like, i.e. how many beds, condition, price etc. the corredor then took all of us to the property and left the estate agent to speak to the sellers, then they translated back to us the details etc.
We got lost a few times with the estate agents looking for the properties, and they apologised when the properties were completely different to what we asked for.
Jenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Yes, I have noticed some agents don't really know how to get into some of the properties, or out! We were once stuck with an agent inside some electronic gates, took us 40 mins to get out. Bought our last two houses privately.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:13 pm

silver wrote:.... I think they I would go for a Spanish agent... one that Spanish people use....When you find a property then insist theu negotiate a better price...or make an offer.
I certainly think that's excellent advice. Alternatively try going it alone and phone the number on the bottom of the Se Vende notice on that house you really like the look of. Of course it goes without saying you'll need a good gestor or abogado.
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm

A lot of the se vende signs are agents though, I found 2 out of three were.

festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

Viva Estates

Postby festival » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 am

Anyone got any news on Viva Estates as I notice a few branches have closed and I have never had a viewer since regestering my property at 2%

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Shouldn´t you be addressing that question directly to Viva, especially why no viewings? :?

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:00 am

Wouldn't even waste my breath with Viva never mind give sell or buy a property through them, that is probably why they are where the are now

robperrie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby robperrie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:56 pm

meow
Last edited by robperrie on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fruity
Andalucia.com Amigo

Estate Agents

Postby Fruity » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 pm

We are in the process of trying to find a house and have been dealing with every agent under the sun, they all want a piece of us!

I don't think I know one estate agent on this coast who is working on your side, they all want high commissions and just lie through their back teeth to tell you what you want to hear, if I were you I would place an ad in the SUR direct from owner or words to that effect and get yourself a good lawyer, we don't need estate agents, they are all hungry and greedy, we went to look at a house with VIVA last week and found out via another agent that the sales % on the house was 10%!!!!!!!!!!!

How ridiculous is that, London estate agents only charge 3% for goodness sakes, I could understand it when houses were €10,000 many, many moons ago but now the average house price has gone up considerably so they shouldn't still be charging high commissions - 1-2% is ample when buying a house through an agent, majority charge anywhere from 5-10% and that just takes the biscuit.

Me and estate agents just don't get along, I would love to earn €5-10,000 for just showing someone a house!

Fruity