So what about Nerja then?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:45 pm

My hubby has a job in Nerja and we have 1 day left in Spain to view rental properties (my parents can view for us if we don't see anything tomorrow) so I wanted some advice on nice places to live near Nerja. The town itself is a bit busy for us so somewhere a bit quieter a bit further in land would be nice. We had a look round Torrox pueblo while we were there which seemed like a nice place but what do I know?

I also need advice on schools in the area and does anyone have a 2+ bedroomed house to rent?

HELP!!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Torrox pueblo is very noisy and parking is awful. Unless you are looking for a small cheap pueblo house then you would be better off looking on Torrox Costa.

There are loads of appartments right on the beach. If you are looking for a house then look slightly further back from the coast. There is a big development at Torrox Park which is midway between the pueblo and the coast. There are some new houses being built between Torrox and Nerja near to an "alledged" golf course.

Nerja is wildly overpriced and long term rentals are expensive as they can get so much in the summer. A 6 month winter let (Oct to April) is more reasonable. There are some nice properties on the road from Nerja to Frigiliana.

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:15 pm

Sid, bit harsh to say Torrox Pueblo is noisy. Don't live there but have been to far nosier places.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm

wish i could afford to live there :(

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:16 pm

SL from what I have seen so far it is no more expensive than inland and a lot cheaper than west of malaga.

If I get a house with enough bedrooms you can come and be my lodger if you like :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:20 am

Di, I know you're talking about renting but house prices in Nerja are astronomic compared to surrounding areas so I would have thought rental prices followed suit.
Our first taste of Spain was Nerja and after 2 seperate stays in the Balcon decided we'd love a holiday home in Nerja. The prices of the town houses were just not viable for a "bolt hole" so we bought in a town "up the hill".

Nerja is a funny place, you see places advertised for sensible money but when you see where the place is it is not actually Nerja, it's usually on one of the urbanisations in between Frigliana and Maro.
We wanted a town house in the town to stumble out of and into the bars.........no chance!

We decided that with the "so called Nerja houses" that were out of town, it was a waste of time for us personally as you still needed the car to go out at night or face a really long massive walk, plus most of the out of town stuff were let out as holiday rents and we would have been stuck in between washing lines full of England football shirts :roll: .....not what we wanted.

We know people who say they live in Nerja when in fact it's nowhere near.
We bought a townhouse as I said up the hill in a quiet but thriving town and it was still only a 25 minute drive in.

Funnily enough we still look for genuine town houses in Nerja central as we still would buy one. We saw one last time over.....smallish terraced true townhouse, 3 beds, 1 bog and a lot of work needed on it....550,000 euros, ouch :shock: .

Have another look at Torrox and if you want info on any other paces give me a shout.

Good luck in the search.
Regards,
Kenny

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 am

dido72 wrote:If I get a house with enough bedrooms you can come and be my lodger if you like :wink:
OY! What about me? 8)
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 am

Morcambe :shock: ....sorry mate

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:57 am

Campo Kenny wrote:Morcambe :shock: ....sorry mate
That's you off my Xmas card list.......... :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:16 am

Campo Kenny wrote:Sid, bit harsh to say Torrox Pueblo is noisy. Don't live there but have been to far nosier places.
I think living in a pueblo is always going to noisier than living outside. The pueblo is usually fully "occupied" rather than outside deveopments where many of the properties are only used occasionally.

We had some friends who rented a town house in Torrox pueblo and visited them a number of times. The nearest place to park was at least 500m away. It was very noisy due to the mopeds flying through the small streets together with the Spanish trait of always talking at full volume, day or night!

You are right, there are noisier places but if Dido found Nerja too noisy, Torrox could only be worse.

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am

Understand what you say Sid. A lot of the towns have now though clamped down on the bike noise, funnily enough when we had a townhouse we used to think that this was "part of the sound of Spain" and laughed about it.....agree about the loud conversations though 8)
It annoys me more now we have a place which is totally on its own in the campo and some ignorant *beep* in a house you can't even see has music blasting...........noise travels far up the hill I've since found out.

The noisiest and most uncomfortable places when I've visited friends are the cramped urbanisation properties which people buy then rent out to pay for them. The guys who don't rent out don't know who their neighbours will be from one week to the next.............and the holidaymakers don't give a toss about the noise they make.

For me personaly I'd only either have a place either right on the coast or miles back up the hill...............the places 2 or 3 miles from the coast seem to defeat the object for me.......yes the price is right but they have no vistas, are usually flat and often very built up IMHO.

Kenny

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks so much for your advice again guys, you always come through.

We have spent the day in Frigilliana today and rented a house there :shock: . It was market day so nice and bustling but not manic....nice! The house is just right for us for now, it is not one I would choose to buy, but to rent for a year it is perfect, there are shops, restaurants, bars and the market just around the corner and the school is a nice stroll down the hill (and a heart pounding slog back up pushing a double buggy!!) . We are moving mid September, and at times I thought I would never say those words :roll: .

Back to the UK tommorrow for a hectic 4 weeks of putting everything in storage and sending letters to everyone etc etc etc....wish us luck!

Kenny, I agree about Nerja, ridiculously overpriced but the surrounding areas are cheaper and very pretty indeed, we love it!

Dealer you know you would always be welcome but my husband would say no....you, with your reputation :wink:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 pm

OMG good luck!
anyway, anyway, love from me.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:10 am

Dido, that seems to have gone fast, you have got it sorted really quick, I'm really glad that your hubby as got a job, and you have a new house in Frigilliana, enjoy.

Best wishes for the future.
Jenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:35 am

Last time we were house-hunting we looked around Nerja, prices were the same as marbella. One we viewed we went in the agents car and it was struggling to get up the mountain it was so steep! and a dried up river bed had to be crossed! Wonderful views but I could see why they had 2 freezers in the garage. We moved 4 times before we got what we wanted, rural, walk to the sea, quiet neighbours, no rentals or tourists. Shops a short drive. Only noise are the cockerels and I am used to them, quite like to hear them if I am awake.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Diana,
Wow, you soon got that organised! No stopping you now gal :!:
Best of luck with the move, and please keep us up to date with everything both before and after the great event :D
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:31 am

I rented a house in Frigiliana for 6 weeks, way back in 1990, and just fell in love with the place. Went back a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how much it had changed, virtually no land left between it and Nerja, loads of new apartment blocks ( I stayed on Calle Real, and the village finished just at the top of that road), and a huge great autovia on the road between Nerja and ****. Progress I suppose, and the old town is still pretty, but I must say I cried......

Still like that area compared to the rest of the coast though, I must say, and sometimes go to Maro beach.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:03 pm

I started a thread about moving to Vinuela on the living in.. forum after looking at one about moving to Nerja last year which had plenty of responses. I still like Nerja more than other places I have looked at. You should be able to find that thread.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks for all your best wishes everyone, we just had to take the plunge now as the time seems so right. The worst that can happen is that we spend a few grand on a year long holiday, learn some of a foreign language (my daughter will probably be fluent in a year amd my 16 month old son can already count to 3 in Spanish :shock: ) and come back to the UK and start again (hopefully not!) :D

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:34 am

Zofia wrote:I rented a house in Frigiliana for 6 weeks, way back in 1990, and just fell in love with the place. Went back a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how much it had changed, virtually no land left between it and Nerja, loads of new apartment blocks ( I stayed on Calle Real, and the village finished just at the top of that road), and a huge great autovia on the road between Nerja and ****. Progress I suppose, and the old town is still pretty, but I must say I cried......
Yes, we have been visiting Frigiliana for about 15 years, and like you, have seen a huge amount of changes, and not many for the better. It's been like a continuous building site for many years now, and at least when the carpark is finished, it will be a vast improvement. We have Spanish friends there that rent out several properties, so we normally stay in one of their places. As you say the old part is still nice, that is pretty much as it was years ago. At the end of Calle Real, most of the work is finished on the apartments there, and a lot on the bottom road is now finished, but now most of the work seems to be going on at the entrance to the new part of the village. We'll back again in October though!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?