NO Where is Perfect

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Continue with studying in Ireland then finish by a total immersion for 4 weeks. I know people who have a good pass at A Level and cannot converse well. Also many of the language schools around here are...questionable!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Yo learned espanol de la gratis cd's a la Sunday Mail.
They had mi habla-ing fluent espanol en cinqo semanas.
Yo listened para un hour per dias in mi coche and para about tres hours per dias in mi casa.

It travachoed para mi y ahora yo is fluent.

Adios,

Kenny

Chrissie
Resident

NO Where is Perfect

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Kenny......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That gave me a laugh :!:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I'm impressed that you also speak Spanish to such a high standard Chrissie and were able to completely understand El kenny, did you have the same cd's? :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: NO Where is Perfect

Postby frank » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Chrissie wrote:This is a really good audio magazine (bi-monthly). It's aimed at advanced speakers, but if you take it slowly it should be OK. I think they'll send you a sample to try.

http://www.champs-elysees.com/products/ ... fault.aspx
Agree, I think it's one of the finest Spanish learning tools, it's an excellent product. I had it for a few years, but the delivery was all over the place, you could wait months for your CD. I used to complain, and they'd send me another old CD to keep me quiet. I think the first 12 month subscription I had, took about 20 moths before I got my 6 CD's. It was taken over by someone, and I believe it is now back on course. I'm very tempted to order it again. It's definitely not for a beginner though! But the content is always up to date, relevant, and interesting.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Kenny I am impressed I didn't realise you were fluent. ¡Enhorabuena!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Si, yo esta mucho fluent, pero sometimes yo no comprende hombres de outside Andalucia.
EL cd's esta worked wonders para mi y me esposa. Esta mucho easy para us to blend in con the locals y become mucho gusto'd by todo.

Ahora we fully intiendo espanol we are travachoing on our Francais y our greek.

If mucho mas Inglis come over aqui we will be calling it a dias and *beep* off. Y quite fancy uno de these places donde el propeteria is cheap :shock:

To all of tu, esta worth compra-ing some cd's y following mi example.

Hasta Back,
Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You do it so well, I bet you really are quite competent.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I'm impressed that you also speak Spanish to such a high standard Chrissie and were able to completely understand El kenny, did you have the same cd's? :lol:
Oh Spanish..............
What I wouldn't give to have Kenny's facilidad para words y otra things tambien. Pero the CDs are muy caras y es difiseal to be fluente :lol: :lol: :lol:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:16 am

I no tengo got a clue que your habla-ing about. :evil:

Yo cannot habla much aqui hoy. Esta neccessario para mi to finito el tiling in mi nuevo abierto plan cocina

Gracias a bunch

Kenny

Chrissie
Resident

NO Where is Perfect

Postby Chrissie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:50 am

Campo Kenny wrote:Yo learned espanol de la gratis cd's a la Sunday Mail.
They had mi habla-ing fluent espanol en cinqo semanas.
Yo listened para un hour per dias in mi coche and para about tres hours per dias in mi casa.

It travachoed para mi y ahora yo is fluent.

Adios,

Kenny
The scary thing is I actually understand it. :shock:

The accent thing is something I have heard of and will try to take into account.

Dubliner74 wrote: howya hiker

have you heard of the the Instituto Cervantes in Lincoln Place, D2?

we're learning Spanish there at the moment, I can highly recommend the place and when you join you have access to the library - learning material, DVD's books etc.
My wife will start there this week but I cannot do any day class because of work and because I live a bit outside Dublin, I'm not that keen on travelling thru the cold, dark, winter nights to do night classes. Tried it before and I did'nt like it.
There is a very nice young lady from Bolivia living in my village who is giving Spanish lessons in my house.
€7.50 per hour which is about €1 more expensive than Cervantes but its a one-to-one session so I'm going to have a go at that.

Do Bolivians have an accent? :lol:
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 am

Kenny, I went to W H Smith every day for over a week to get those blo*dy C.Ds. That was over a year ago and i'm still only on c.d. no. 2. I listen again and again and it still sounds like double dutch (or spanish).

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:59 am

I bought a Spanish Linguaphone course over 30 years ago, I've still got it and I'm still only on to part 3. :oops:
It really does help having at least some basic Spanish communicating skills, before arrival in Spain, but it will depend where you go, I have great difficulty in having conversations with the locals in our village, but no trouble in Madrid.
Moving to Spain doesn't have to be too big 'a deal', but as everyone keeps saying ..be careful, and make sure that you keep some money in reserve.... :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:06 am

hiker wrote: €7.50 per hour which is about €1 more expensive than Cervantes but its a one-to-one session so I'm going to have a go at that.

Do Bolivians have an accent? :lol:
That is really cheap! £5 an hour!! We had a girl from Barcelona, and she used to get £30 for an hour and a half! Sign up quick before she puts her prices up
Yes, they have an accent, and it ain't of mainland Spain. You'll probably end up with a South American accent, but you'll be easily understood They use "el seseo" (and in parts of Andalucia) which just means sounding their "s's" differently. Beer, for example, would normally be pronounced something like "therbetha" (the "s" and the "z" is almost a "th" sound) They would pronounce something like "servesa" "Asento" instead of "athento" por accent (acento). It's not a problem, just that you are bound to imitate her accent. Some words are different, carro instead of coche for example, but again, no big problem.
I had a Chilean lady teacher for a while, and I thought it was a lovely accent. I attend a class with a guy that has learnt his Spanish in South America, and apart from us having different accents, we understand each other perfectly.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 am

Wendy, my OH queued for them too. Just persevere with them and you will become word perfect like myself.
Now I now speak perfect Spanish I can honestly say I wouldn't worry too much if you or anyone else can't pick the language up..........it doesn't matter 8)

If you get stuck.........say someone short changes you, or someone gives you a nice present and you don't know what to say, or someone slips over on their flip-flop and go's rolling down the street, just say "oi, oi oiiiiiiiiii!" with the emphasis on the last oiiiiiiiii!
It works wonders and is really the only phrase you need over there. The locals will assume you're from the next pueblo and born and bred Spanish :idea:

I use it all the time, and although now fluent rue the wasted hours listening to those CD's.

Kenny

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:56 am

frank wrote:
That is really cheap! £5 an hour!!...
Frank - you are mixing up "s" and "c". In Spanish an "s" is always pronounced as such. With ceceo pronunciation the "c" before i or e becomes more like "th" and the "z" is always "th". With seseo pronunciation as in South America and parts of spain the c before i or e and the z is pronounced similar to s. Maybe it was just a typo on your part.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceceo

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Yes,I thought that was very reasonable. I have my second lesson tonight at 7pm.
So instead of treking into town after work and eating a bag of chips in the carpark, I can go home, have a meal and be brain-ready to learn.
Cool, eh! 8)
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

dubliner74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dubliner74 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:04 pm

My wife will start there this week but I cannot do any day class because of work and because I live a bit outside Dublin, I'm not that keen on travelling thru the cold, dark, winter nights to do night classes. Tried it before and I did'nt like it.
I know where yer coming from, I'm lucky enough to work literally round the corner from the Institute so can finish work and head straight there and Donabate is a bit out of town - I'm actually heading to a wedding at the Waterside Hotel on Saturday.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Unless I have read it wrong, Franks post sounds about right. Not an expert on S. American though.