Treasured Possessions

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Treasured Possessions

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Am I correct in thinking that everyone brings a treasured decorative or ornamental item with them, when they move to Spain?

What I mean is, have you brought with you a momento of your past, perhaps something that belonged to a close relative or friend, or maybe just a reminder of where you lived or worked...And I'm not referring to your partner ! :)

We brought a selection of pictures and paintings and some pottery, each piece represents a part of our lives or are sentimental , and most are not of great value, but just important to us.

Having moved house many times, my first job at a new house is to put up all of my pics. and paintings, I now feel at 'home'.

If anyone is 'still' considering moving to sunny Spain, I would suggest that you don't 'car boot' everything before you leave UK, do keep something from your past..

So did you bring anything ,like the above ?.. :|

Heston
Resident

treasured possessions

Postby Heston » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Benidorm

I brought two lorry loads!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 pm

I brought too many and now want to get rid of it. :oops:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 pm

My CDs have been put onto a hard drive and my DVDs removed from their cases and condensed into a filing box ready for the move by HWMBO. The nice cupboard they used to be in stands empty and we haven't even got a buyer for our house yet. :shock: :o

and I'm not happy because there's nothing quite like a good rummage through your CD and DVD collection is there. :?: :cry:

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

treasured possesions

Postby ht006d5256 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 pm

I bought not only pictures 2 laptops 2 tower computers 2 flat screen monitors ( the fastest processor I have found here is 2.8gh mine are 3.2gh) so glad I bought them with me, also 480 DVDs for a rainy day (been here 8 months only maneged to watch 4 episodes of Mash) well you never know. My partner bought over her collection of Tuskers ( much to the amusement of the locals) also her doll collection which the kids love , I think what I am trying to say is that although you are starting a new life doesn't mean to say you have to forget your old life the past is as important as the future enjoy both
Howard

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:28 pm

We brought our dog.
Is there a more treasured possession?
:D

Cheers
Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:33 pm

I can't remember what I put in storage but I have a lorry load coming over in a couple of weeks so I'm sure there are some treasured possesions in that lot :wink:

safeashouses
Resident

Re: treasured possesions

Postby safeashouses » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:20 pm

ht006d5256 wrote:My partner brought over her collection of Tuskers ( much to the amusement of the locals)
Had to google, would that be her ornamental elephants or shoes. :wink:

2 laptops 2 tower computers 2 flat screen monitors you didn't come in an ark did you. :?: :lol:

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 pm

gerryh wrote:We brought our dog.

Cheers
Gerry
Yes, two dogs :lol:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 pm

....also our beloved 13year old cat!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Apart from all the usual tat and my beloved book collection my most treasured possessions are totally worthless, in monetary terms, 'gifts' from my children which include a bright green coiled 'Mayan' pot that my soon to be 21 son made for me in school. It has pride of place in my kitchen and is just big enough to hold a head of garlic :D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm

pwwm wrote:
gerryh wrote:We brought our dog.

Cheers
Gerry
Yes, two dogs :lol:
OK I lied! We also brought our cockateel w :D but I didn't include him in my first message as I'm not sure how to spell cockateel and my spell checker doesn't know either k :oops:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:40 am

aww,i came with two holdalls..one for my son,and one for me...
My hubby was already here...
I sold nearly everything at the car boot sales..including my hardly worn"hunter wellies"...I wouldnt need them :shock: How wrong was i???
I found homes for my two stafford dogs,photos all went into boxes at my dads...cds all went into folders at my dads..ALL of my record collection,got snapped in half and thrown out for the bin men :cry:
Came here with two holdalls...and after nearly five years...never in a million years would we cram it all back in to two bags...would be lucky to get it into one lorry.
Its nice because we often sit in our house,and say...OMG :shock: look at how much we have bought in 4+ years,compared to what we came with..we have built it all back up...and we own it all. :wink:
Its a nice feeling. 8)

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

tREASURE POSESIONS

Postby Big Col » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 pm

hI ALL

BEING DOING REMOVALS FROM UK TO SPAIN FOR 2 YEARS , AND THE FOLKS FROM HIS SITE HAVE BEEN VERY SUPORTIVE, I FOUND THAT THE MOST ITEM THAT FOLKS LIKE TO BRING OVER IS THE TRUSTY RUSTY OLD LAWNMOWER AND STRIMER.!! :lol:

WE FIND THAT AFTER CHATING WITH THESE GREAT PEOPLE THEY HAVENT EVEN GOT A LAWN IN SPAIN, :P :lol:

ITS FUNNY AND WE ALWAYS TRY TO HELP PEOPLE ON THE DAY, AS THE LADY OF THE HOUSE ALWAYS HAS PRIROTY :lol:

BUT THE MAN ALWAYS ALWAYS GETS HIS NEW 42 ICH LCD TV WITH SUROUND SOUND AND HIFI WHERE THE WIFE GIVES US THE WEDDING DRESS AND HAT BASICALLY SAYING THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM .
THEN COMES THE WHITE GOODS, THE PLANTS 100 BOXES OF ASSORTED TREASURES. AND A NEW SUITE
ITS ALWAYS THE HUSBAND WE ARE SNEAKING THINGS ON THE VAN FOR AS NORMALLY THE THE HUSBAND NEVER GET A LOOK IN.

SINCE DOING THIS WORK WITH MY SONS, SON INLAWS AND DAUGHTERS WE REALLY REALLY LOVE IT THE FOLKS TURN INTO GOOD MATES AND THE WHOLE EXPERIANCE IS JOLLY AND STRESS FREE.
MAKEING SURE THE CUSTOMERS ARE HAPPY, WHICH IN TURN MAKES US HAPPY.

BEEN ASKED TO TRANSPORT A PARROT, 2 DOGS, AND THE WIFE, BROUGHT OVER THE HUSBANDS AS ITS A WAY FREE TO GET OVER HERE ON THE LORRY AND THEY OVER HERE TO HELP, AND GET FURNITURE AND THINGS SORTED BEFORE THE WIFE COMES OVER AND CHANGES EVERYTHING. :)

WHEN FINISHING LOADING UP. AND THE WIFES HAPPY THIS IS WHEN THE HUSBAND SNEAKS HIS TOOLS ON THE VAN, :lol: THEN THE RIGHT AT THE END A 16FT SET OF LADDERS THATS WHEN WE GIVE UP SRATCH OUR HEADS AND HAVE A CUPPA OF TEA. THE LADDERS RARELY GO ON SO YOU MEN OUT THERE BE BRAVE AND GET THE LADDERS ON FIRST!! :idea:

WEVE TAKING MOTOR BIKES THE LOT AND THE BEST ONE YET FOR THE OLD MAN 12 CASES OF GUINNESS!!

THE THING IS FROM THE LITTLE ORDAMENTS THAT THE KIDS BOUGHT YEARS AGO TO THE COOKERY BOOKS THAT ARE NEVER OPENED TO THE OLD 3 GENERATIONS OF TOOLS ALL THESE THINGS ARE SPECIAL AND MPORTANT TO ALL FOLKS, SOMTIMES IT NEEDS FOLKS LIKE US ON THE DAY TO BE MORE HELPFULL THAN JUST LOADING ITEMS IN THE VAN THAT THEY KNOW THEY DONT EVEN WANT TO TAKE.

A MOVE THAT WE MADE FROM NOTTINGHAMSHIRE 3 MONTHS AGO. GREAT FOLKS FROM THIS SITE. PACKED THE VAN TO THE MAX BOTH COMPLAINING THAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE TAKING ALOT OF THIS STUFF.
TO SPAIN :oops:

THEY WERE GREAT FOLKS ALWAYS LAUGHING EMPTING THEIR GARAGE AND LOFT, WE MOVED THEM IN LOCALLY TO US NR BAZA A MONTH LATER I LET THEM BORROW A VAN AND TOGETHER WE TOOK SOME OF THE ITEMS TO THE BOOTSALE, MAKING THEMSELVES 230 EUROS IN FACT IT PROBALLY COST THEM £300 TO BRING THE ITEMS OVER!! :lol: :lol:

WOULD I CHANGE WHAT I DO? NOT ON YOUR NELLY!!! , :D :lol:

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:03 pm

Good to hear from you Big Col, how are you? You certainly seem very cheerful. That´s certainly the way to live your life.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I bought the wife!!! :(
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 pm

keddyboy wrote:I bought the wife!!! :(
How much for??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie