I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
lone
Tourist

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Postby lone » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:32 pm

I hope to be moving to Spain, WHEN i have sold up in the UK.
I am a Domestic engineer, repairing Washing machines, Tumble dryers, Electric ovens etc.
Whilst i have a knowledge of virtually every make over here, i need to know what makes (and model No`s if possible) of appliances you all have, as i will need to know where to source wiring diagrams,spares and diagnostic codes.
If you could help me out it would be appreciated.
P.S if anyone has problems with their appliances i will try to help out.

regards lone

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Good luck and good forward planning. To do this legally and officially I think you would need to get your qualifications ratified by Spain - the Spanish Consulate in the UK can help you with how to do this and then after that you can look at the makes. Or look at makes sold by Euronics as they are here too.....

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 am

Thing is lone, with all due respect, you´d probably charge more than the friendly local Spanish chappie who covers the area already. :(
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 am

I recently called up a "mobile, domestice appliance engineer" (a brit) who told me over the phone that his "call out consultation fee" was 50 euros regardless of what work he did (non functioning oven) I replied with two words, the second of which was "off", our pool man fixed it for me and it cost 7 euros for the part, I got him pi55ed in Tres Leijonas as a thank you and he refused to be paid for the work, lovely guy.

In all honesty and without predudice I have to say that if I was a brit coming to Spain today to find a supporting income I would do a considerable amount of research before committing myself.
Ah! the full english!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am

I prefer to use the authorised ones for the brand. More expensive I know but you do get the job done correctly (usually). If not you have at least a 3 month guarantee. I called one technico in málaga last year as they advertised they covered the marbella area. The receptionist told me it would be 50 euros call out plus mileage which brought the total to arund 87 euros!

Did have one Brit plonker once for a gas heater, said it needed a new part. waited 6 days for the part (expensive) and it wasn't that. He then came back and tried to charge to do something else. Got the dealer and he sent me out for 2 bottles of agua fuerte, problem solved...40 euros including a service :D

andygwen04
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andygwen04 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Lone, Good luck in all that you are hoping to do when you move over here to sunny Spain! Hopefully by getting at least one reply that answers your quest you wont be dismayed by the other slightly negative replies that have come to you already.
The make and model number of our domestic appliance is:-
Female, good vintage model, economical to run ( feed and water regularly), exercise not needed!
Oops no, that me sorry........lol
The washing machine is a Zanussi FA621.

lone
Tourist

Postby lone » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, for the people who think every brit is out to rip you off, There are good and bad in every race. I have never ripped off any of my customers, I rely mostly on word of mouth and am proud of my work. My charges in the UK are £15 call out, if you have the work done then you dont pay the call out as well.
I never used to charge a call out till last year, but with the cost of diesel, and the plummeting prices of white goods, and the cost of parts costing more than the machines, you have to make a fair living.
Most makes of machines have the same diagnostic faults, eg if the machine is not spinning properly, a common cause is the filter is blocked. I would ask them first to check that........NOT just go out to get my call out charge and try to sell them a pump they DONT need. Thats why i get so many recommendations. And as i said earlier on the forum if i can be of help i will.
regards lone

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:32 pm

--mistake--sorry--
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:34 am

Ithink the major problem will be the language, if you speak fluent Spanish you'll probably be able to get the correct licences and attestations, but without them you'll be working illegally.
Ah! the full english!!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:01 am

working illegally?
now there is a thought,could it be possible in spain?

jesus christ i have never met a plumber etc(add your own trade here)( )from the uk that has any spanish qualifications unless they run a legal business which most dont and if they do the spanish say corgi thing is probably much easier to get and pass and will be a money making thing for the local council

i am only saying the last part as my food and hygene from the uk was not good enough so i had to instead take a free 24 multiple choice questionaire test and get 12 right,i just passed,then 5 years later i had to retake it,cost 45 euros,had a lecture for 3 hours where i was told to wash all veg and salad in bleach and to keep the said washed veg and salad at the bottom of the fridge below the raw meat :idea:
time for a new thread
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:33 pm

[quote="frog"]working illegally?
now there is a thought,could it be possible in spain?

jesus christ i have never met a plumber etc(add your own trade here)( )from the uk that has any spanish qualifications unless they run a legal business which most don't
That, my friend is why most so called "British craftsmen" are basically viewed as vvankers, how on earth can anyone expect to be taken seriously unless they are prepared to put in the necessary time and effort to do it right, I personally would NEVER employ a brit in Spain purely because of their collective reputation
Ah! the full english!!

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:23 pm

off subject I know-but Frog is it a British or Spanish bar you run :wink:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:34 pm

mijas-lady wrote:off subject I know-but Frog is it a British or Spanish bar you run :wink:
This is a by Frog from another forum:-

The subject is:-
i hate british bars

and the quote is:-

anyway i use british bars as i hate spanish ones even more

So it is difficult to establish which sort, if any, type of bar he runs.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:50 pm

hi mijas lady,i dont run a bar,sold it,but it was an english one and busy for 7 good years,the difference with me and the majority of bar owners here was that i had worked in,owned and run pubs and restaurants in the uk for 20 years,mainly from the kitchen(my wife was front of house)
cheers frog

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 pm

my gran lived next door to Frank Maudsley

do americans get confused about the flock of seagulls song 'i ran'

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 am

crikey ron,what did she think of the hair?

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Thu May 01, 2008 9:16 pm

his was tidy compared to mine, mine was down to shoulder blades.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 pm

well he was a hairdresser if i remember correctly