moving in september - Benalmadena

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 am

It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but each to their own...

It might not seem like an adventure for you, but if somebody else is up for it and wants to do it...why *beep* on their bonfire?

jonnie321
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jonnie321 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Someone once said to me, "Don't walk away from negative people.......run! Sound advice.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: moving in september - Benalmadena

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 pm

adventureGal wrote: all advice from you guys would be welcome
xxxx
Note the word "all".

If johnnie321 asked what the pros and cons were should he step off a really tall cliff, he should only be told that he would get a wonderful view. Some people are soooooo thick! :shock:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Some people are soooooo thick! :shock:
I've read this thread and I don't know who you are talking about :?
Do you mean the initial lady who posted? or do you mean the people who have replied with a bit of moral support?

Kenny

jonnie321
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jonnie321 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm running!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:
I've read this thread and I don't know who you are talking about :?
I mean the guy who thinks only positive views should be aired - he is the sort that would believe a politician!
If everyone who asked for advice here was told 'go ahead, you will live a life of ecstatic joy and riches with oodles of leisure time and no problems with the ever-helpful local and national governments' there would be a lot more folk in the bankrupcy courts! :P

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm

jonnie321 wrote:Someone once said to me, "Don't walk away from negative people.......run! Sound advice.
Very sound advice! Myself, (like a lot of the regular posters i notice) have been refraining from posting recently, due to the increasing number of snide comments from the few regulars who are bored with their life here, (and i wonder whether i mean bored with their life on earth or just in Spain :wink: )

There are many out here like myself, hillybilly, dido, to name but a few, in our 30´s enjoying life, new experiences, people, cultures, and don´t feel the need to belittle others who want to come over to experience the same, however they may want to fund it!

adventuregal, biskit.....i say go for it! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Absolutely!!! 8)

julian
Andalucia Guru

moving

Postby julian » Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 pm

it´s sad to see how many people are so afraid to move out of their comfort zone, and even more worrying how many put others off from moving out of their´s...life is not a rehearsal

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu May 22, 2008 8:52 pm

And another absolutely! Also, I don't think anyone was complaining about good advice - positive or negative - more the way it's put across. The alternative to 'going for it' when you have the chance is to spend the rest of your life wondering "what if?". And as Julian says, it's not a rehearsal.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 pm

karandjon wrote: Myself, (like a lot of the regular posters i notice) have been refraining from posting recently, due to the increasing number of snide comments from the few regulars who are bored with their life here
As a ps to the above - it's people like you who encouraged me to keep asking questions on this forum so please don't disappear. I've had lots of helpful advice from yourself and Dido and quite a few others - please don't stop! Do as you advised me to do: ignore the snide comments etc.

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Thu May 22, 2008 10:36 pm

I use a lot of ex - pat sites. I think they are really useful for people wishing to move over to Spain. I know that most of you have a lot of experience of living in Spain but I really can't understand all the negative posts on this site. Most people who are going to move have given it a lot of thought and done background work. I'm not packing my rose coloured specs when I move over.
Last edited by katie on Fri May 23, 2008 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu May 22, 2008 11:59 pm

now this is my kind of thread

you will find it hard to get a job,if you do it will be a low wage,5/6 euros an hour,possibly plus tips.

5 or 10 years ago,it would have been a lot easier and certainly the wages havnt changed much in the last 5 years but the prices are a lot higher,so if you want to go out a lot you may find it tough

you will be lucky to get a contract so your employer ,if you get a job can treat you like *beep*,even though they know nothing either and will probably be gone before you

you have accommodation sorted for 6 months,hope this is with family as you will find it hard to pay for

anyway,really,now is the time to come for a few months not later in the year,or wait till next march
jayne countys most famous song,google it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 am

mirandamac wrote: ignore the snide comments
It does seem that some people define 'snide' as 'any comment that they don't like, or want to hear'. I contend that any comments I make (not speaking for others!) are possibly thought-provoking, maybe seen as discouraging, but not 'snide' - and in any case mostly the responses here are a balance of positive and negative, making it a good resource. :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:11 am

It is usually the same posters who can't wait to jump into the spat and support one another. They keep threatening to refrain from posting....no bleeding chance of that :wink: :lol:

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Fri May 23, 2008 10:18 am

Even if they did katy, we wouldn't notice, They/he/it has more heads than Wurzel Gummidge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Fri May 23, 2008 10:21 am

FAO peterancientracer

You're not over the top are you?? - 'go ahead, you will live a life of ecstatic joy and riches with oodles of leisure time and no problems with the ever-helpful local and national governments'

Is that really the advice someone looking for a bit of bar work etc would really expect?? She knows it's not going to be easy - that's why she's asking for advice.....

You're just sticking your nose in where it's not wanted. You're obviously boring yourself to death, now you want to bore us to death as well.

I for one won't be listening to 'ol gits' like you, whining about how miserable it all is. I'm moving over to Duquesa in a few weeks. Maybe I'll bump into you...hope not! :D

To the other people who give genuine advice... Please keep doing it! It's greatly appreciated. You're an inspiration to others. I'll keep posting on this site when I move over and will gladly offer advice if I can.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:39 am

Now you mention it the above post does sound a little familiar :lol: :lol:

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 am

:lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Biskit wrote: peterancientracer whining about how miserable it all is.
It is far from miserable for me, but I am not contemplating being stuck in a non-airconditioned kitchen with a pile of dirty plates, or spending hours rushing to and fro with plates full of 'English Breakfasts' and other gourmet treats for the cognescenti who patronise the Jolly Pirate et al whilst running their fingers under the words in the Sun, mouthing what they read as they go.
"Arbeit macht frei" my @rse! :D