moving in september - Benalmadena

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
adventureGal

moving in september - Benalmadena

Postby adventureGal » Thu May 15, 2008 7:27 pm

hi everyone, i'm moving to benalmadena in september, have somewhere to live sorted, for at least 6 months, hope to find general work, cleaning/bar work etc... i know this will prove difficult as its the winter season, but fingers crossed it will all work out!! if it doesn't, i'l be returning to blighty happy that i gave it a go!!!

really want to try make some job contacts before i go, make it a bit easier! not expecting an easy ride, i understand long hours and low pay are the way it can be but hey, i'm game for a challenge!!

all advice from you guys would be welcome
xxxx

jonnie321
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jonnie321 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:13 am

Hi, Can't believe your post has had 184 viewings and NOBODY has replied so I thought I'd just say 'Hi'.

Good luck & I hope you make it work.

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Wed May 21, 2008 10:28 am

I'm moving over soon as well (can' wait!) so I can't offer much advice, but I too wish you good luck!!! You've got one life...live it! 8)
Last edited by Biskit on Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 am

jonnie321 wrote:Hi, Can't believe your post has had 184 viewings and NOBODY has replied so I thought I'd just say 'Hi'.

Good luck & I hope you make it work.
I'd been thinking the same but I can't give any advice as I'm not even over there yet. But at 18 my daughter did something similar - went to Spain (Costa Brava though) with only a suitcase and plane ticket. She got work & a small apartment immediately and loved every minute. She left behind a nervous wreck of a Mum of course. Hope it all goes well for you. I'm sure someone will have some 'advice' for you at some point.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Wed May 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Have you been to benalmadena... there are whole expat familys living in one and 2 bed apts who all clean for a living, it can be a very rough area
and I wouldnt rely on bar work as a lot of bars ,restaurants are having a very rough time. If you are single with no kids it will be easier to perhaps find a job .
We wish you good luck. but would try a different area.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Well, I think, good for you adventuregal..what have u to lose? Everyone needs some adventure in their lives and what have you got to lose?
anyway, anyway, love from me.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 21, 2008 6:16 pm

jonnie321 wrote:Hi, Can't believe your post has had 184 viewings and NOBODY has replied .
It is just, I am sure, that one gets fed up advising people they must have a pretty awful life in the UK to contemplate moving to a country where they don't speak the language, are competing with the lowest of the low for menial jobs, stand a good chance of getting ripped off, and have to run the risk of no medical cover until, if ever, they get a contract job or earn enough to take out private health insurance.
Anyone with any ambition will stand a much much better chance of achieving their goals in the UK, and if they have no ambition will just add to the dross immigrants here.
A lovely place to live, but you must earn the money somewhere else in order to be able to afford it when you retire - the right time to come over.
Come on now all those with rose-tinted specs - shout me down! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm

I agree Peter. I did think when someone said "you have only got one life live it". Cleaning on the CDS :shock:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed May 21, 2008 7:19 pm

peteroldracer wrote:A lovely place to live, but you must earn the money somewhere else in order to be able to afford it when you retire - the right time to come over.
Retirement might have been the right time for you to make the move but don't presume to speak for the rest of us!
I moved here when I was in my late 30's, am still here nearly 5 yrs later, I earn a good living in the same profession I followed in the UK, I own properties outright and I can afford private health insurance.
I am still ambitious, still achieving goals, just different ones! I prefer to make the most out of life while I'm still fit and healthy and not drawing my pension :wink:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Now, now Pete. You must be getting old and losing that va va voom younger people have. I went to Italy with nothing many, many years ago. Sometimes slept on the beach, sang in nightclubs, did all sorts of "unplanned and inadvisable" things. When the fun aspect of it all ran low, i returned to the Uk having had a brilliant time in the sunshine meeting many, many interesting people and just generally broadening my horizons. Like she said, if it doesn't work out, she can go home.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed May 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Surely the right time to go anywhere is different for everyone. And in this case - single, no responsbilities, aware it could be tough - go for it! If you can't have an 'adventure' when you're young it's a sad world. As she says, if it doesn't work, she can go back.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 pm

hillybilly wrote:I moved here when I was in my late 30's, earn a good living in the same profession I followed in the UK, I own properties outright and I can afford private health insurance.
A very different scene to that proposed by the enquirer: no career established and thinking she will be happy cleaning or washing up in 40 degree heat on 2p an hour and all she can eat/steal from the kitchen? :D

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm

But Pete...life isn't just about that. It's about experiencing different cultures, talking to people. having new feelings, feeling uncertain, not being sure of tomorrow. A smirandamac said, if not now, when? I am supporting (emotionally) one of mine as he goes round the world, one(financially) in London and another (emotionally) in Kansas. If it all goes t*ts up, so what? they have seen a bit more of the world than Stockport has to offer and made new friends, invaluable.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I have done lots of things in my life, even been an au-pair but I knew it was only for a few months (I was only in my teens). But to set your sights at cleaning jobs :shock: If thats the only work I could get I would prefer to do it in the UK. Hardly seeing the world is it living in an ex-pat area and cleaning pubic hair out of the bath!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Maybe this is all saying more about me than the young lady: many moons ago I had to make a choice between turning professional at motorcycle racing, and trying to establish myself by touring the continental races with a van and some race bikes, or taking an offered promotion into management and pursuing a more conventional career. I chose the convention, meaning that I neither won a world championship nor died in my thirties wrapped round a lamppost somewhere in Eastern Europe. I cannot regret anything, because that is now my history.
I have been struggling to decide how I feel about the death at 47 of a man called Robert Dunlop in the Northwest 200 road races the week before last - what is a father of 3, approaching 50 doing still risking his life? And even more struggling to come to an opinion about Robert's son, Michael, not only taking part in the very race that his father was practising for when he died two days earlier, but winning that race.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Horses for courses.
Some people like taking risks whether financially, physically or whatever, others don't or can't. We're all gonna die sooner or later and I'd prefer to go whilst doing something I enjoyed :wink: than languishing in a hospital bed with bedsores and minus me faculties :wink:
As for jobs, sometimes we have to take whatever work's available to put food on the table. Sometimes a "menial" job can be quite rewarding.
What's that saying about when you're about to die you don't think, "I wish I'd done less with my life"...?

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Exactly. Just like you'll never see on a tombstone -"I wish I'd spent more time in the office".

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 am

katy wrote:I agree Peter. I did think when someone said "you have only got one life live it". Cleaning on the CDS :shock:
When I said that, I was talking about the adventure of moving to another country, taking a chance in life, meeting new friends, taking on new challenges...not a cleaning job, smart *beep*. You know nothing about this girl, but you're quick to judge.

She asked for some friendly advice. Sometimes, if you you've got nothing good to say, it's better to say nothing at all... God, you must be bored! Or maybe you're cleaning on the CDS???

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Biskit
Tourist

Postby Biskit » Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 am

I wonder if some of these people would be 'brave' enough to say to you in person, what they write in a forum? I very much doubt it... :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 22, 2008 11:30 am

Living amongst ex-pats in Benalmadena is hardly an adventure, just a change of location to work, as Peter said, for a few euro an hour.

I thought she wanted advice anyway and being fairly "smart" I just tell it like it is :roll: