UK emigration

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:13 pm

masterrob. As you are clearly not very well informed about docklands, at the weekend there are very few bankers around but there are many tourists from around the world, my comparison was not only concerning the docklands but other areas as well. Thousands have left the uk for many many reasons, some of which I made being only a few.
I can understand why you live in alora as there are many needy people there.
The uk is run down, dirty, full of ridiculous rules, expensive, full of disease
and I could go on, but I am sure you wont agree. you carry on living in your little finca in alora and sending your pennies to some charity, and I shall continue to run the uk down, We were considering returning to the uk, but now wouldnt go there if you paid me. Its my opinion and many others opinion, we cant all be wrong.

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Why can't you be wrong? It is my opinion and many others, that you are wrong. So maybe you can be wrong. :idea:

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:56 pm

the figures speak for themselves. all this support for lovely england from people who have actually left themselves. hipocritical springs to mind.

This is my last post on the subject.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:32 pm

bubba wrote
We were considering returning to the uk, but now wouldnt go there if you paid me.
No chance of me doing that as I'm one of those needy people here in Alora that you seem to know so much about!! I save all my money to shop amongst the celebs and idle rich at the prestigious Cartama Sunday market!! :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

opinion

Postby julian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 am

It´s not a question of who is wrong and who is right...people have and are are entitled to their own OPINIONS, and if they don´t match your´s it does not mean that they are wrong.

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:28 am

bubba wrote:the figures speak for themselves. all this support for lovely england from people who have actually left themselves. hipocritical springs to mind.
Which particular figures are these? Is everybody who leaves the UK duty bound to slag it off? Can't we enjoy Spain and the UK for different reasons? What is hypocritical about living in one country and NOT slagging off another? :?

I came here to live in Spain, not to escape the UK! I enjoy many aspects of both countries and I dislike a few aspects of each.

mirandamac
Resident

Re: opinion

Postby mirandamac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:08 am

julian wrote:It´s not a question of who is wrong and who is right...people have and are are entitled to their own OPINIONS, and if they don´t match your´s it does not mean that they are wrong.
Exactly!
And as PaulaJean says, it is possible to enjoy more than one country and probably for different reasons. To appreciate the good things in each and accept the not so good. I'm planning to leave England but I don't hate it. I really like where I live, I have good friends and family here. Of course it's not perfect but I know how lucky I am. I'm leaving to experience something different and for a bit more good weather.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 am

Well said Paulajean.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

I know quite a bit about alora, it is a fact that it is the dumping ground for problem families, and those who have commited certain crimes.
What are you going on about celebs and rich in cartama market, yes cartama market is very popular and thousands pour in here on a sunday from all over the coast, I dont know why.
you obviously have a slight chip on your shoulder. and I am not saying anybody is wrong. My opinion is my opinion wether you agree or not is entirely up to you. but as usual someone voices their opinion and the minority attack.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 am

Bubba as I pointed out I live in the UK and also have a house in Spain. I would certainly not want to live in Spain full time. You are not being attacked for your opinions, merely for generalisations made from limited input (people I talk to all want to leave UK etc) and not making comparisons with like for like.
With reference to your comment on contraception in Africa: Yes contraceptives have been available there for many years and were being used with some success. George Bush reversed this positive trend by withdrawing US finance from the contraceptive programme because of his 'Christian' belief in 'Just say no to sex before marriage'.
If you will make sweeping generalisations based on very little evidence, but more on your own personal prejudice you must expect to be challenged.
Grouser

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 am

bubba, you wrote previously
This is my last post on the subject.
Maybe it´s time to do just that? :?

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:40 pm

bubba wrote:but as usual someone voices their opinion and the minority attack.
Please feel free to attack, but in my opinion the UK is a good place to live or visit with, to name a few things: a fantastic health service and on the whole good schools and universities; wonderful libraries; theatres with a great range of productions; a diverse and interesting population; a capital city that is apreciated and reveered by many around the world; good quality public services; and a fabulous choice of restaurants from every corner of the globe.

It suffers from, amongst others: being very expensive; a poor quality popular press aka The Mail, The Sun, The Express, who always want to report (or invent) a negative angle; over crowded roads; unreliable weather; and too many people who want to blame someone else for their misfortune or unhappiness.

I could give similar examples of pros and cons for every country I have visited or lived in.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I cannot beleive what I am hearing, good health care, good schools are we talking about the same country I dont think so, and yes every stranger that we spoke to did hate the uk and would leave tommorow if they could, it is not an exageration.
Good food , you must be joking.
Either you are on a wind up or you havent been to the uk recently.
As I said previously everyone has different standards.

PaulaJean
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PaulaJean » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Well I'm talking about the UK, not sure about you bubba! :?

My sons went to the local comp. went to 6th form college and went to ordinary Universities. This gave them the ability to establish their own successful business from scratch whilst still in their mid 20's. I would say that is a success for the education service. Not everything is perfect by any-means but the vast majority of young people get a good education. Schools are much better resourced in the UK than in our part of Spain and most of the teaching the UK is at a higher standard than what I have witnessed here in Spain

I have always found the health service to be very responsive whenever we have needed it. Survey after survey show that the majority of actual users have nothing but praise for it.

As for the "strangers desires to leave the UK, I can only quote masterob
masterob wrote:You said that any British people you spoke to hated living in the UK. How many did you speak to, dozens, hundreds, thousands? A few people who tell you they wish they were living elsewhere is hardly a barometer of the level of discontent across the whole of the UK.
And food.... within 15 minutes from our house in the UK we can eat top quality food in Italian, Spanish, Bengali, Chinese, Indian, English, Thai or Mexican restaurants. I love Spanish food and eat nothing else here, but I do enjoy the variety in the UK when I am there.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Yes Paulajean - you said in 'your opinion' and as it happens my opinion is the same. We have good schools with some superb, very dedicated teachers. We have a good health service (of course it's not perfect) again with excellent staff on the whole. I'm really happy with the choice of restaurants in and around York - as you said, food from almost anywhere in the world. We are quite choosy about where we eat out but we have plenty of good places to choose from. Public transport isn't brilliant (almost non existent from where I live) but I can't complain about that as I probably wouldn't use it anyway. When we do go into the middle of York we like to moan about the number of tourists clogging the streets but that's the price of living near somewhere that people want to visit!
I don't read the papers you've mentioned - for the very reason that you said. Actually that's not quite true, I did skim one while waiting for my dental appointment yesterday (anything to take my mind of the filling I was about to have) and it just confirmed to me why I don't read them.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:53 pm

PaulaJean wrote:
bubba wrote:but as usual someone voices their opinion and the minority attack.
Please feel free to attack, but in my opinion the UK is a good place to live or visit with, to name a few things: a fantastic health service and on the whole good schools and universities; wonderful libraries; theatres with a great range of productions; a diverse and interesting population; a capital city that is apreciated and reveered by many around the world; good quality public services; and a fabulous choice of restaurants from every corner of the globe.

It suffers from, amongst others: being very expensive; a poor quality popular press aka The Mail, The Sun, The Express, who always want to report (or invent) a negative angle; over crowded roads; unreliable weather; and too many people who want to blame someone else for their misfortune or unhappiness.

I could give similar examples of pros and cons for every country I have visited or lived in.
You forgot to mention the daily stabbings and shootings, general disrespectfulness of youth, high local taxes, **** public services, *** medical services, grabbing and unscrupulous MP's, stupid judges and a host of other things, the UK is a pretty crap place to live right now if your an indigienous brit on a low to basic income with not much opportunity to prise yourself out of the poverty trap :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Digressing slightly but - I have to say I am really shocked as stabbing deaths literally are every day at the moment, its dreadful...........and we must remember that most of us are comparing pretty comfortable lifestyles or areas to live compàred with large cities......I have never been able to imagine living in one of those London tower blocks by the side of the main traffic routes in south London.........seems very depressing and depressed to me, yet there is a great sense of community...

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:59 pm

Walking in to the small garden by the railway station we are confronted by a large steel and seemingly abstract sculpture. Directly in front of us a staircase leads up to the centre of this piece of art. We climb to the top to be confronted by a rather surly man who pointedly turns his back on us. To one side a mattress is shoved in a corner, to the other is a slide to the ground. From the boxed in area in front of us comes an overwhelming smell of human excrement. We hurriedly retrace our steps down the staircase and move off in to the park. As we traverse the side of the sculpture it is revealed to be a huge dragon. We walk past some pools of water, with strange towers beyond them and find a small cafe where we purchase coffee. We are required to pay in advance and are warned to keep a tight hold on our possessions. This is unprecedented. We watch a man carefully shaving using the cold water from a drinking fountain while around him youths in grubby tracksuits sit chatting and smoking in a bored offhand way.
Where are we?
The centre of Barcelona
One of my favourite European cities.
You gotta roll with the punches.
Retro most of the things you cite could apply to anywhere in Europe.
I would disagree about the NHS in any case.
You think it's crap to be poor in the UK, try the third world.
Grouser

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Due to the two french people being stabbed to death recently,
France is saying that the uk is a jungle, and a country full of knifes.
Wont be long till word gets about in europe.
British people already have a bad name. this just makes it worse.
I really am not concerned with the third world countries you keep on about , when there are so many problems in my own country, which I would like to return to some time, but feel unable to due to the state of the country, look at reality and stop burying your head in the sand.

You also mention Barcelona, which has a huge amount of imigrants, and high crime mostly caused by the immigrants.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:13 pm

How many times do I have to reiterate the fact that I live in the UK before it sinks in.
Of course knife crime is worrying. Of course gun crime is worrying. Of course murder is worrying. Do you think these things only happen in the UK? No violence in Spain? No crims on the Costa? No murders in France? If you believe that it is you who have your head in the sand not I.
Grouser