UK emigration

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

UK emigration

Postby hillybilly » Tue May 20, 2008 7:24 am

There is an article in today's Telegraph regarding the imminent annual report by the ONS on the number of emigrants from the UK in 2006. More interesting perhaps are the comments from readers, below...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/yourvie ... ating.html

Chrissie
Resident

Uk emigration

Postby Chrissie » Tue May 20, 2008 9:18 am

Fascinating comments Hilly I agree. Deeply depressing though for those of us who are still here :(
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

julian
Andalucia Guru

uk

Postby julian » Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am

looks like the grass isn´t really greener for those talking about rushing back to the UK from Spain.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am

Yup, we are definitely better off here until some sanity returns to the asylum.......although Spain is becoming increasingly europeanised.........so we could be in the same Brussels gravy boat soon here as well.......

Why doesn´t the UK take notice of the exodus as it is mostly those who have skills or higher standards of education - the statistic yesterday that two thirds of those on incapacity benefit have no skills or qualifications whatsoever says it all - poverty and lack of education is a trap....and most people caught in it are not happy.......

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 am

Funny really, I actually quite like the UK. Of course nothing is perfect - especially the weather - but overall it's not a bad place to be. I don't mind people moving here from other countries as long as when they get here, they do their best to contribute. Most do. Of course we only hear about the few that don't. Good stuff doesn't make news. I just hope that when we make the move to Spain, that we can 'contribute' in some way. I don't expect it to be perfect but I hope I'll make the best of what we have.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 am

Everyone seems to give more or less the same reasons for leaving and then they read the Daily Telegraph and write comments whilst living somewhere else. :lol:

I think the people who slate the UK the most are the ones who don't always settle in another country. Most countries have their bad and good points. They criticise the benefit system and then grumble when they get here that there aren't any! Mass immigration is a global occurance and all EU countries are overun with Eastern Europeans. Taxes in the UK aren't always the highest either.

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK

Postby ICCSL » Tue May 20, 2008 12:12 pm

I used to be a person who would kiss the ground when I returned to the UK. Now I have no idea how anyone can afford to live there. My daughters have very good jobs, one lives in Manchester, the other in Southampton but they are working to pay the bills - not to have a life.

I have not lived permanently in the UK for over 14 years and if I moved from Spain, it would not be back to the UK. There are now so many rules and regs there that I would probably spend the rest of my life paying fines for not adhering to them. Things have changed so much since I left and I cannot see that it is for the better.

I think maybe if you are absolutely loaded, don't need to work, don't smoke, are prepared to be politically correct all of the time, happy to lose your culture and heritage, then it would be quite nice to live in the UK.

I also think that it is very, very sad that a country which I considered to be my home would not now even be in the list of countries I would consider living in.
Tina

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm

It's strange the way people perceive things, maybe we see what we want to.

I worked very hard to get a degree at the same time as holding down a full time job, which maybe ties in with the perception that the well educated are the ones emigrating, but it's been absolutely useless to me here. I would have had more chance of getting decent employment if I had spent 4 years studying hairdressing or gaining bar experience! It's even been a hindrance at times as prospective employers can't or won't accept you are prepared to do something completely different, one agency even advised me to leave it off my CV!

I find Tina's observation that you would have to be loaded and not need to work to afford to live in the UK as strange because that's how I feel about being here in Spain. There are many things I would like to try here but they are all so expensive that I would need to work to be able to afford them but the hours can be so long and unsociable that if you found a decent job you would no longer have the time, catch 22.

Work is what you make it, and if you can have the luxury of doing a job you enjoy and get paid for it that's a bonus. I think the problem for many is that they don't enjoy their work, so much of it is just to pay the bills.

One of the good things I will take back with me is the freedom to be able to choose a job I enjoy as having lived here on OH's pension I now know I don't need everything I once thought I did!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Good post Cassandra.
Personally I think you need to leave the UK to appreciate what was available to you when you lived there.
I also think that loads of the people emigrating would have sunshine as their main reason for leaving. (I'm in the UK for 4 days and have the heating on!)
Yes there are loads of things wrong with the UK now, plenty wrong in Spain and other places too! I'd never want to live in UK fulltime again (at the moment) but I'd never write it off completely either.

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Wed May 21, 2008 3:40 pm

we moved over in 2004 mainly for kids as inner london schooling didnt look a good bet. I still keep a UK house as I could never be 100 % sure about Spain, even now most TV we watch is UK which would be the same for most here. So whilst we all may live abroad we dont ever cut off ties because quite simply theres a lot of good things about the UK.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Kelly, you can't mean the TV is a good thing - can you?

elgordo
Tourist

moving to andalucia

Postby elgordo » Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 am

will the last englishman leaving england turn of the lights :P
david

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu May 29, 2008 8:00 am

I think that, with all its faults, the UK is a better place to be for elderly British people with no family support in Spain.
Yes, you hear horror stories of grim care homes in Britain and so on, but as an older, but still reasonably fit, person I would certainly wish to move back to the UK before I became less mobile, as there is little or no help available in Spain outside the family.
No family = no care!

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 am

lavenda

Yes i would associate UK TV as a good thing about the UK weather not warm enough yet to sit by the pool.. Weve been here four years and have spanish family near here and can seak the local lingo culturly we feel very different.

elgordo
Tourist

Postby elgordo » Thu May 29, 2008 11:52 am

on reflection i have a mother she may be 90 but she is in a home in 3 weeks her health went from fit and well to infirm why because in England today we have no health service its privatized in all but name when you get to 60 your finished, with all the taxes we pay we get no police, 2 weekly rubbish collection , we are unable to leave our houses after dark I would be mad to go back permanently. here if i stumble with my shopping the children help me not in England.
david

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu May 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Interesting.
I live in the UK
I am over sixty.
According to you I'm finished.
I must say I hadn't noticed.
I think the NHS does a fine job and it's getting better.
They are starting to move to prevention rather than cure for example.
Nothing wrong with the rubbish collection where I am.
One week: rubbish
Next week: cardboard
Every week: organic waste for recycling into compost.
Best not to stumble with the shopping.
Best to look where you are going.
Grouser

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu May 29, 2008 12:22 pm

elgordo wrote: we are unable to leave our houses after dark I would be mad to go back permanently.
Who's unable to leave their houses after dark? :? Speak for yourself! ........Depends on where you lived as it does in every country on the planet, Spain included.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 29, 2008 2:14 pm

If you had a 90 year old Mother here you would need to be at home caring for her.

Kenny is right, there are places to avoid in any country. Just that we don't have a Spanish Daily Mail type newspaper here to scare us.

I couldn't think of anything worse than to live in Spain and be really broke. We Brits are spoiled regarding Social Welfare.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 pm

I have worked in many care homes in the UK some are good some are awful and I would rather look after my parents myself than put them in a home (they are 61 and 59 so don't need to worry yet!). They looked after me, provided for me, sacrificed for me so when the time comes I will do the same for them. There are not many nursing homes in Spain that could cater for non Spanish speaking elderly people, there are some but they are private and very expensive!

However home care is available to all people over 65 or with a disability card as long as they have been resident in Spain for a certain number of years. This is social services funded but I think is means tested so you would only be allowed a certain level of savings to qualify.

elgordo
Tourist

Postby elgordo » Thu May 29, 2008 7:04 pm

i will tell you why the health service is getting bad the cleaners have been privatized so the hospital is not cleaned properly only to cost, i went into hospital and got mrsa that is not very nice i was sent home with antibiotics and my wife nursed me.
if you have been to south London lately you wouldn't go out after dark either we have "hoodies" and they carry knives if you don't believe the daily mail look at the BBC news site :wink:
david