Moving to Seville - Can you help?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Jenha,
Perhaps we should not assume you have already checked out the Andalucia.com section on Seville written by Fiona Watson who lives and works there.

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm

and a completely different version in Spanish by Shenai Martínez Fernández.

http://www.esp.andalucia.com/ciudades/sevilla/home.htm

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Thats terrific flan_taster, exactly what I wanted.

anyroads

jenha
Tourist

Postby jenha » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks for your post, but unless I'm missing something these pages are more directed towards tourists, with info about hotels etc. I have sorted out accommodation for the first week in a hostel, but what I am really looking for is information from people who live in Seville about which areas are the best to look for a flat. From what I can gather, the best area for us is going to be around Reina Mercedes/Bermejales, as I am told that there is a large student population there, which should suit our budget and need for somewhere with a bit of life to it, and also if it has good transport links then it will be perfect as I need to go to Dos Hermanas every day to work. What I want is somewhere cheap, safe and where I don't have to walk miles to get a bus or train. Is there a metro in Seville? If anyone has any advice or suggestions on this post, please get back to me asap, as I'm leaving mid August to look for a flat! Thanks again

Don

Postby Don » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:18 pm

jenha wrote: Is there a metro in Seville?
There will be jenha, see http://www.metrodesevilla.org/ but it is not all up and running yet and there have been many many months of city disruption in places due to its construction.

jenha
Tourist

Postby jenha » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks Don, I thought that was the case but a Spanish friend of mine (not from or in Seville) swore blind that it had one. I think she just assumed it would have given the size of the city. I'm flying out on 23rd August to look for a flat. Wish me luck! Thanks for all of your advice.....if anything else occurs to you then I'd really appreciate it. So far I'm still trying to tie everything up this end, and haven't got much time to think about what's going to happen when I get there!

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Jenha, the metro is running to a very limited extent in the city centre, or to be more precise the tram between estacion san sebastian and plaza neuva. They have trialled line 1 metro proper which will go from Dos Hermanas through the city to Mairena but it is not fully functioning yet.

jenlafemme
Tourist

Postby jenlafemme » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi Jenha. Not sure if you are still posting on this board, but I was just wondering how you got on with finding a flat? I was sort of following this thread as I too was flathunting at the time and had the same sort of requirements as yourself. I've just moved to Sevilla and am staying in Centro, near el corte ingles. :) Are you over here for work?
Jen x

jenha
Tourist

Re: Moving to Seville - Can you help?

Postby jenha » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Wow, that's a good location! Yes, I found a flat in the end. It was hard work as a lot of the owners were away at the beach, so every time we rang we had to wait to see those flats that were still available. We'd wait and they'd tell us they were taken. In the end we got up really early and rang as soon as new flats were posted on the internet. We were lucky to find a flat we really like and we told the guy if we could see it straight away and we still liked it, we'd take it there and then. The landord's great and we are in the area I wanted to live in. We've got everything we need here and I love the neighbourhood.

I'm a secondary school teacher when in England but have a job teaching in a primary school. I haven't got to see as much of the city as I'd like, but I've been a couple of times before and I'll probably do the tourist thing when people come to visit. Did you know that if you take proof that you live in Seville to the Alcázar you get in free? I don't know about anywhere else, but from now on when I go site seeing I'm gonna take a bill or something with me. Do you know anything about the swimming pools around by you? We're not that far away and my mate and I have been trying to find out about getting an abono for the pool. So far the ones we've found seem to make things quite complicated. Any idea? How long are you here for? Are you here for work too? :D

Donna Quixote
Tourist

Postby Donna Quixote » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Jenha and Jenlafemme

I'm moving to Seville in five days. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've rented an apartment for a month with sevilla5.com (thanks to someone on this forum who posted the link) and I've been offered a full-time English teaching job. I'm still cacking it though, so I'd love to hear how you're both getting on.

My plan is to use this month to find a longer-term apartment rental, then I've a ferry and van booked end Jan to bring over all mine and my partner's stuff (he is staying at home with the cat till I find us somewhere).

It's the hunt for a place that scares me most (well, apart from having to plan 22.5 hours of lessons per week...). I am budgeting for between €600-750 per month for a 2-bed place with private terrace or balcony in the centre of town. Does that sound realistic to you?

Also, can you tell me anything about the public bike scheme? I'll have to get from my apartment by the Jardines de Murillo to the Isla de la Cartuja every day.

Thanks very much! 8)

DQ

Don

Postby Don » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Donna Quixote, check out http://www.sevici.es/ for the bike scheme. AFAIK you pay about 150 € deposit and then you can take bikes from any SeviBici station to any other SeviBici station and for less than half an hour it is free. Above half an hour it is chargeable. Beware as they refund then take the deposit again, or they used to, each month so you need to keep the float in the bank so to speak. Beware also that in peak hours the scheme is so popular that bikes run out at hot stations and you need to find a station to drop it off again before any charge ends. 5 days time means you are here before the weekend and thus for the kings parade, one of the big ones around here on the eve of Jan 5. Welcome to Sevilla. Where on Isla de la Cartuja I wonder, I work there.

Donna Quixote
Tourist

Postby Donna Quixote » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am

Hi Don! I remember you from posting ages ago - you were helpful then, and you have been now: thanks! 8)

The bike scheme sounds like a major hassle for regular use, I think I might just try and buy a second-hand one. Although I suppose at least with the scheme you don't have to worry about it getting stolen. Is bike theft as big a problem in Seville as it is elsewhere?
Hmm. I'll be bringing my Vespa over when I move properly, so I am really going to have to ponder this, actually.

Oh, how exciting re the King's Parade! I shall go along, even though I'll be Billy No-Mates. :lol:

I'll PM you re where I'm working.

Don

Postby Don » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 am

Yes, bike theft is rife in the city, also parts of bikes are taken and even the sevibici bikes have been vandalised. The scheme is popular and does work apparently quite well but you cannot guarantee that a bike will be there when you want it or a space will be available to park one up when and where you want it. Vespas and scoots are a good way to get around for sure.