Moving to Costa del Sol!!!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Moving to Costa del Sol!!!

Postby lynn111 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi there,

My first posting on this forum and I guess a familiar subject! We are planning a move to the Costa del Sol next summer. We have three children, the oldest of which is doing his GCSEs this year, so we are waiting until he has taken his exams before we come over. We have sold our house in the UK (exchanged last week) so will have to rent here for another 6 months, and then we intend to rent in the Costa del Sol. I have been to look at International Schools already and have chosen one in Torremolinos so will look to live within 20 minute drive of there. My parents already live in Mijas so I think we will probably be quite close to them. Anyone with recommendations for rental agencies would be greatly appreciated. I would also like any recommendations on areas we might like to look at. Ideally, I think we would like somewhere relatively accessible so that the eldest can get around independently and I would like somewhere that isn't a ghost town out of season but full of holiday makers during the summer.

Its an exciting time and lots to plan, but we are so looking forward to starting a new life!! :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Costa del Sol!!!

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Welcome Lynn111,
I hope that your plans come to successful fruition, which I am sure they will, you sound as if you have done your homework.

With regard to rentals I would suggest that you look through the adds in the local papers, plenty on offer, and prices can be negotiated.
The fact that your parents already live in the area puts you streets ahead with regard to guidance, I'm sure that they will scout for property for you.
Can I suggest that you really do select a property that is in walking distance of all amenities, otherwise you will be on permanent taxi duties for your children..

Bonne Chance

Regards,
Gordon.

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that it is helpful having family already in the area but they own their property and therefore don't have a great deal of knowledge of the rental market. I guess when you say look in the local press you mean Sur in English? I am banking on the fact that there will be a good choice of properties to choose from in the current market conditions?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm

There are pages full of ads at the moment, always go in with a lower offer.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Torremolinos itself has plenty going for it - closest town to airport, on the train line so well connected, certainly not a ghost town in winter, but not a typical Brits abroad, bucket & spade brigade, tea like Mother makes purpose built resort either. It's a proper town with all the resources you will ever need, and if you live in or near the centre, you will never really need a car.
Most Spanish owned rental properties will require employment and/or bank references. Do you have employment lined up?
I will send you a PM with a contact who may be able to help nearer the time.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 pm

I agree with Miro, I live just outside Torremolinos town and love it. What kind of place will you be looking for. Our Neighbour is in the property business so I can ask him if you like.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:32 am

dont go to an agent to rent a property as they will probably expect 1 months rent as their commision,try to deal with owner direct
jayne countys most famous song,google it

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:40 am

We will need a four bedroom townhouse or villa. As I said earlier, I would like to be situated somewhere relatively accessible so that my eldest can get around relatively easily without having to be driven everywhere and I don't want to have to commute too far to their school everyday so I guess we are looking at Benalmadena or Torremolinos pueblos or maybe a bit further towards Mijas. Once we have sorted out our move to rented here in the UK in the new year I will come over and do some scouting of areas/ urbanisations to get a better idea.

Just taken hubby to the station this morning and had to scrape snow off the car (-1 degrees). He's got to squash onto an overcrowded train standing all the way. Keep reminding each other that this is the last winter to endure this!

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 am

Hi lynn111,
Don't move too far inland from the coast otherwise you will still scraping the ice of the car, its -1c here 8)
You will not be cramming in to trains as they have taken up the lines , but then they have turned them into Vias Verdes ,so great to cycle and walk along.
All the best in your move.
J

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Lynn,
Churrianna and Alhaurin de la Torre are inland towns fairly close to Torremolinos. I don't think there would be enough excitement in either for your eldest son and he would definitely need a scooter or something similar. A d l Torre is a working town, many of the inhabitants commuting to Torre to work.
I like A de la Torre because it is peaceful, rural and not as difficult to park in as the coast but am a lot older than your boy ! We also get the choice to go to the beaches or high life if we want to without living with the tourists, but it's all personal preference. My son and daughter needed their own transport when living here at your son's age. I think they would have preferred the coast if they had been given a choice.
Torremolinos is fine, up for a world heritage award even. When you say you don't want a winter ghost town, I think Torre may suit your needs because it is a working town, not just a resort, it is fairly lively and there is plenty there for your son to do. On the outer edge, just follow the promenade, is the very charming La Carrihuela area - different again, little back lanes, fish restaurants etc.,. On the negative side, in Summer, you will find it very difficult to park because of all the tourists.
Benalmadena is great for night life, discos etc., but I cannot comment on anything else about it. The little I know is from my grown up kids' adventures to the nightlife !
A little further along is my favourite beach, Mijas la Cala - always quieter than the other two beaches and very pretty. You can always get a sunbed there in summer because some of the tourists don't know the area, but again, may be too quiet for your son.
Good luck with everything :) .

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:27 pm

You mentioned commuting to schools, and your husband's commute to work in the UK, but not about work plans here. Just curious, but for example if you choose to live near Torremolinos, but have to commute to Marbella or beyond for work, you'll be dependent on the car and a daily drive along one of the worst stretches of motorway in the known Universe. (Apart from the M25, of course :mrgreen: )

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:40 pm

we're fortunate that we will be based from home for work with some travelling back to the uk (hence it will be better nearer to malaga airport). The N340 is definitely the worlds worst road but is still preferable to commuter trains in rush hour! I understand that there should be some improvements to the road in the future as they are trying to get better access and exit sliproads put in? Maybe that project will get shelved with the current financial situation.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Sounds like you'll have the perfect set-up then.
For the kind of property you're looking for, I would have a look around areas like Playamar, La Colina or Los Alamos, with possibly Churriana (although a bit boring for the kids I would think) and the Alhaurins as options if the first ones are too pricey (being nearer the beach etc.)

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Lynne

The very best of luck with your move to the Costa del Sol.

I live in Los Alamos and love it. We don't have a car but manage completely fine with trains and buses.

Los Alamos is a lovely area to live in , close to beach, train line and buses.

Leona

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:47 am

certain areas,like all main towns are a bit dodgy[quote][Torremolinos is fine, up for a world heritage award even/quote],still cant believe that,must be a joke,ok if you are gay though

stick to the sticks if you have a family
jayne countys most famous song,google it