Moving to Almeria

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
becks2406

Moving to Almeria

Postby becks2406 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Me and my family live in the costa dorada at this present time, and as the seasons here are getting shorter, and its very difficult to get work here in the winter, we are looking to move to Almeria or any of the surronding towns. The question i have is, if anyone knows what work is like down there, and also schools as my son has started school here.
The type of work i am looking at is bar or waitressing. I have managed a bar for 3 years here, but as i said its only for the summer and its getting harder and harder in the winter. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Retro P
Resident

Re: Moving to Almeria

Postby Retro P » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Don't know about Almeria but it's not that far from us (Nueva Andalucia) around here people looking for service type jobs are really struggling especially in the bars and restaurants, I know it's not what you want to hear but I'm trying to be objective and truthful.
Ah! the full english!!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Almeria is a big place, but the Brit areas are Roquetas and Mojacar, none of them really big, the work situation isn't good there for the Spanish, lots of people looking for work, sorry its not better news.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:32 pm

There is not a lot of bar work in Almeria but why not come down for a week or so and network and see what happens, there are lots of houses available to rent very cheaply!!

becks2406

Postby becks2406 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Thank you for all your replies, Doesnt matter whether its good news or bad news, as long as its the truth, and it means we can look elsewhere. We are going to get the summer out of the way where we are now, as i have a good job coming up, its just for the winter that we are looking to move, and we are looking to come down for a week or 2 before hand to make sure things are good there. Odviously we are not just looking in Almeria, just wrote that because we saw some rentals there that looked good. If anyone has any news about work anywhere in the surrounding areas of andalucia, all news welcome. Thank you

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 am

DONT COME TO THE COSTA DEL SOL,no work here either,unless you get lucky,my wife has 10 yrs xp in bars here(7 our own i admit) but is well known,liked and good at her job but now has 1 day a week
jayne countys most famous song,google it

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 am

by getting lucky,i mean that you walk in a bar the same day a member of staff has been sacked for stealing or has left to go back as the wages are not so good and the employers dont have a clue what they are doing,there was a time when you saw many jobs advertised as you walked the seafront,but i havnt seen a staff wanted sign for 2 or more years,most vacancies are filled by word of mouth
jayne countys most famous song,google it

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:37 pm

We live in a very small village and it really is who you know here.
Get to know as many people as you can especially Spanish.
We have managed to find work, so don't give up.
Chris