Life in Manilva?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
nifaro
Tourist

Life in Manilva?

Postby nifaro » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:27 am

Hi there, I am thinking of moving to Manilva from El Burgo, can anyone tell me how it is there to live, I have been there to visit on many occasions but have never lived there. It is the newish development called "Vistalmar" If anyone has any info on it then I would be most grateful. Also my kids like Fuengirola and Benalmadena, but we have always lived inland although spent time at the coast..............
Nicola Falla Romero

scotty
Resident

Re: Life in Manilva?

Postby scotty » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:20 pm

I have a good friend living there. He says that theres nothing wrong with the area but it is really over developed. They have a huge overhang of property and nothing can sell as a result. Why dont you rent for a while & see. That way you wont get stuck with the property.

nifaro
Tourist

Postby nifaro » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for your reply Scotty, I was definately intending to rent at the moment, but even with renting I want to make sure it is a nice area. As I say my kids and myself really love Fuengirola and Benalmadena and I would say that Fuengirola is the place I know best, lots there to do without the real need to use the car, it just needs me to make the right choice, really appreciate all the help, many thanks, :)
Nicola Falla Romero

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:42 am

Hi there,

I live at Vistalmar, the only worry I would have for a family is that it is a bit out of the way for day to day life.

There is a little bus which goes from the main road into Manilva and Sabbinillas, and Duquesa is within walking distance, but apart from that they may be pushed for local "playmates" unless you are willing "taxi's".

It is quite quiet, so unless that is your sort of thing, your family may feel abit marooned.

I am not trying to put you off - but different horses for different courses etc
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

nifaro
Tourist

Postby nifaro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:32 am

Hi there Rookiekookie and thanks very much for that information with regards to Vistalmar, it really is a good help to have some very useful information with regards to an area. I was actually thinking that it may be a bit quiet for us, not that my children are roudy or anything as here in the UK my children do not ever go outside of the house even though they are almost 17, 16, 12 and my youngest is 4years old and unfortunately he has Aspergers, so he would love the peace and quiet, but even then I would like to be able to take him out for a walk without having to actually take the car all of the time. How far is to the nearest shops, bar/restaurants or the beach, and Im guessing I would need the car for all of these? We lived in Sabinillas in 1998 and to be honest I found that a bit on the quiet side lol. Thanks very much though for the info it really is a great help to me :) I have the chance of a few properties to rent in various areas like Vistalmar in Manilva, Fuengirola and Benalmadena, I know of the areas well but I just want to be sure of the right place really for the children. Are there many british living in Vistalmar area?
Nicola Falla Romero

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:54 am

Know nothing of the place, apart from what I have just read this morning, that over 40% of inhabitants are foreigners. ;-( Even worse, Benahavis, 57%.
En la provincia de Málaga, la media de población extranjera es de un 18,41%. Por municipios, destaca Benahavís donde casi un 57% de la población es foránea. Alcaucín, Cómpeta, Mijas y Manilva superan el 40% de población extranjera. En la Axarquía, además de los ya mencionados, destacan Torrox con un 37,57% de residentes extranjeros y Nerja con un 32,31%, Frigiliana 32.44%.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

nifaro
Tourist

Postby nifaro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:18 am

Querida Frank, y gracias para su informacion, :)
Nicola Falla Romero

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:22 am

I am amazed, people say some of those places are the "real" Spain :lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:40 am

There is another forum manilvalife dotcom used by people that live in the area.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:45 am

"Querida Frank, y gracias para su informacion, :)"
¿querida? Venga, nos tuteamos, ¿vale? ;-) A propósito, es "gracias POR"
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 am

The nearest shops are probably about 15 - 20 mins walk (to Eroski) - would be shorted except for where the crossings are (overhead walkways). The biggest problem is the walk back - it is all up hill and a killer if you are not used to it.

Otherwise beach - 5 mins by car, Eroski - 5 mins by car, Duquesa nearest (and dearest) place for bars/restaurants 10 mins by car - but personally Sabbi is favorite for such things.

If I were you - and you are able - go for a visit to see how it has grown - you may be surprised.

Do look at the local website - which I will pm to you - for further information which you will find useful - especially for schools etc.
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

nifaro
Tourist

Postby nifaro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Hola Frank and thankyou for putting me correct on my incorrect spanish eh!!!!
Nicola Falla Romero

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Vistalmar is a very long way from shops, restaurants and the sea. It is a huge development, with I think, quite a number of unsold properties.
There have been reports of damp problems in some properties, which, I suppose is not uncommon in a part of Spain where builders are under the impression it never rains! (WRONG - it does!).
I would choose somewhere a bit nearer facilities, possibly within a short walk to the beaches.
You will need a car - unless you are fit !
We live about 500 metres to the west of the Los Hidalgos roundabout, which is where Eroski & MaxiDia are situated; the problem from the western approach to the shopping centre is the lack of safe, continuous access along the A7 (N340 as was), although there are some short stretches with safe walkways.
Vistalmar is accessed by a slip road, just by where we live, leading to Hacienda Guadalupe and then up & up the hill for some distance.
Sabinillas has all the usual facilities, including a Mercadona and two Supersols and a LIDL.. There are around 14 bank branches in the town! There is an absolutely excellent new health centre.
Gibraltar is about 25 minutes away.

nifaro
Tourist

Postby nifaro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Many thanks Pigs-might-fly for all your useful information, I am trying to think more of the children really than of myself and yes they probably would like to be more nearer facilities than to have to rely on me being their taxi lol. I also have the chance of a property in Sabinillas so no firm desicions made as yet. My daughter who is 17 works for Mcdonalds and can get a transfer to another Mcdonalds wherever we decide to move to. Again many thanks for all the advice and info, :)
Nicola Falla Romero