One Way Van Hire

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

One Way Van Hire

Postby brianjackson » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm

It would be really useful to me to be able to cost effectively hire a Transit / Luton size of van in the UK (Newcastle/Gateshead area), and fill it up with surplus items I have at home here and take them out to my new place in Spain.

If I could then leave the van in Malaga (Airport preferably) and fly back to Blighty it would be "job done".

Has anyone here experience of doing this? Can you recommend a company that offers this service ?

Does anyone know how long it would take me to drive down, and any tips on which way to go and what to avoid would be really useful. (Yes I know its South !)

Thank you.

:thumbup:
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

Retro P
Resident

Re: One Way Van Hire

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:32 pm

In that type of vehicle 2-2½ days including ferry.
My friend looked into this a few years back and apparently the cost was horrendous, because they have to pay someone to take the vehicle back, maybe things have changed.
There is a poster on this forum by the name of Big Col who has a good reputation for bringing things to Spain in a professional manner, put up a post for his attention and see what happens, good luck,
Ah! the full english!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi brianjackson,
You could buy a cheap van bring it over and use it as a chicken house when finished 8)
There are some nice pictures of vans on this site.......... :D
http://www.euromover.net/

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Trato Hecho
Resident

Postby Trato Hecho » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Unless u really want to do this the cost will outweigh paying for removals,

The hire cost with the added insurance for continental breakdown is crazy....

Fuel i think u will be lucky at 25mpg. Ive never done the ferry as i prefer to drive and see the scenery change as u head south...

But if u r determined have a look on mappy.com for routes etc and tolls etc , there aresome older threads on here about the best way to go and where to stay,,,

I have done it from Calais in 27 hours.... watch where u sleep/nap. i drove through the night and then slept at petrol stations during the day which i felt safer doing.

U have more chance of sharing it to bring someone else back to the UK at the moment.

If not Big Cols ur man....nice pics Enrique... :wink:

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm

It seems Big Col may be my man !

I will keep you posted with developments as they happen.

I liked the idea of bringing an old van and keeping chickens in it afterwards ! :wink:

Cheers

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 pm

I bought a van, made sure it had plenty of tax and sold it for double I paid......it covered all my costs.
Plenty want to buy a cheap english transit for their journey home.

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Well I've sorted it out.

If you want to drive down, enjoy the scenery, your not in a hurry, you want the van for a week and not any shorter, youve got plenty of money, then hire a van !

If you want stuff getting from A to B quickly. If you want someone who responds to your E-Mails quickly. If you want to do it for half the price of hiring your own van. Then look up Big Col.

He's your man !

Sorted.

:thumbup:

tim&bina
Tourist

Postby tim&bina » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm

If you have extra space in the van there always seem to be lots of people willing to help part finance the trip in return for delivering some of their extra stuff. We managed to get some old furniture from home delevered cheaply this way.

Of course you've got to find them (Gumtree seems favourite) & you've got to trust each other. Otherwise (as everyone says) use Big Col

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 am

hi, with regards to on way car hire we used a company in malaga the only one and they
ripped us off. what the website says is lies. they owe us our deposit and it broke down
we had to pay to get it repaired and they havent reinbursed us. be warned if you use
these rip off merchants oh nearly forgot the van was bright pink with tatty writing on. :crazy: :x

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

OMG Can someone blow up the bridge?? trip trap, trip trap .....

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am

this may be of help to many people thinking of hiring from this company. :wtf:
and the topic is one way van hire :?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

wendyakemp.. :thumbup: my thoughts exactly. :lolno:

Liz Fox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Liz Fox » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

We've done the journey from the north east to Seville in our van loads of times and it takes about 3 days. You could probably do it quicker with two drivers belting on through the night if you're desperate. France is a nightmare - they only direct you via the pay roads and it costs a fortune in a van - it was much better last time though cos we had a Sat Nav and avoided the peages. I wouldn't do France again without a Sat Nav - it saved a lot of tears!!! The journey was very expensive in fuel though - there's only electrical appliances that are more expensive to buy here so re-think what you need to bring.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I´v always found driving through france very easy,with only the help of a map, I´ve always enjoyed the journey.

Liz Fox
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Liz Fox » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am

Maybe with a van full of furniture we're a bit more cautious about gradients :wtf:

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 pm

If you do Hire a van for a one way hire, its a must that it has a turbo, there are a lot of hire companies that buy non turbo vans because their cheaper to purchase, so quicker to get their money back.

As Liz posted
Maybe with a van full of furniture we're a bit more cautious about gradients

We've seen a few vans stuck overheated on a Gradient, this is the lat thing you will need, and it will get a lot worse if the trafico, stop and then offer assistance to get you moved to a weigh bridge.

We have been caught 4 times in 4 years, Once in Spain, 260 euro ticket and a warning letter, this is because our driver had a Residentia, Twice on the M6 and once on the M1 fines totaling £3200, and compulsory van checks etc.

Don't get me wrong,The drive is an experience, if using the Pride of Bilbao can be a nice break
Always drive safe Be prepared. But don't under estimate the cost of the fuel, A large van fully loaded were talking about 12-16 mpg, and fuel bill will be high. There are many route planers and folks on the forum who can help, offering experience and practical help, We have and will continue to pm any advice or routes etc.

Sometimes the cost of proper euro van hire and returning it,Fuel ferries hotels and tolls and other bits
far outweighs the cost of a small low cost Removal company, especially if you can get back load runs

All the best

Big Col

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 pm

I was very lucky, I managed to have a company recommended by a friend who just happened to have a van about 100 miles south of me with no return load.

He popped up - took mystuff - and it arrived a few days later. Very cheap.

If youve onlt afew things there are a few companies that will do you a ood deal if they are in the area and have the space.

I would say though, go by trusted recommendation. There are lots of people who will willingly take your money and sell your stuff at the next convenient car boot sale ! Be Careful, Be sensible ! 8)

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Brianjackson,well done for being in the right place,right time.It sometimes happens that way,I`ve done it myself,just happen to get a phone call,and discover the pick up is fairly close and if there is space available,then give the person a good deal.That way both are happy.
I don`t mind losing a job to another company if they are like myself,or Big Col,Fred Phillips or any other company that is legal,with Operators licence and paying there tax and insurance.That`s the name of the game,win some,lose some.
However,it is very galling to quote someone for a job and they tell you that Joe Bloggs with an old transit van would do it for half the price :evil:
I tell them to go ahead and hope that their stuff arrives safely,if at all.
I was offered oil paintings last year in the port at Bilbao from the driver of a removal company for £50 each.
I said to him,that those were his customers belongings and he just shrugged his shoulder and said that the company insurance could pay for it....
The other important thing to remember about the van hire is,as Big Col pointed out is the weight factor.If you hire a 3.5 tonne Luton body Transit or Sprinter van,then the capacity of that body will be about 15 to 20 cu m depending on whether it`s a short or long wheelbase.
If you load that up with boxes of books,cd`s,dvd`sand personal items as well as your bedside cabinets,the flat pack wardrobes that you have dismantled to save space,then I`ll guarantee you that your gross weight will be about 5 tonne.
If you get caught in the UK,you will be fined and made to offload until you are within the legal weight.If it`s in France or Spain,you will have a hefty fine.

Jimbo :wink:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 pm

We used Jimbo the Scot :wave: :wave: last year for a part load............. he was reliable and everything arrived safely :clap: :clap: I'd go with him :D
I'm not on commission from Jimbo, just a satisfied customer..................... Can you take passengers Jimbo if this volcano keeps on........... I want to get home :crazy:

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 am

We did Middlesbrough area to Lucena area in 26 hours in total, using toll roads in France. About same on return journey.