Test Drive Living in Almeria - House Sitting Opportunity

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
fuentearriba
Tourist

Test Drive Living in Almeria - House Sitting Opportunity

Postby fuentearriba » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:14 pm

What am I looking for in a house sitter?
Experienced couple to look after Andalucian Cortijo (Farmhouse) in the very Spanish village of Lubrin in Almeria. Lubrin is located 2000ft up in the Sierra de los Filabres and just 45 minutes from Mojacar on the Costa del Almeria.

Look after and care for 2 dogs and a cat, and willing to manage 3 self catering holiday accommodation units and carry out maintenance to the property and grounds.

What responsibilities will my house sitter have?
Domestic cleaning and Laundry
Maintenance of Swimming Pool(Summer only)
Garden Maintenance
Set up Welcome Pack
Meet & Greet renters
Advise renters on local tourist information.
Experienced Gardner & Handyman an advantage.
Full training given.

What are the good features of my property and location?
Located in the very Spanish village of Lubrin in Almeria. Lubrin is located 2000ft up in the Sierra de los Filabres and just 45 minutes from Mojacar on the Costa del Almeria.

The Farmhouse is set on a hilltop and surrounded by an acre of terraced lawns and Olive, Almond and Pomegranate trees and is a short walk to the village. The views are truely panoramic of the surrounding village and mountains. There is a swimming pool to cool off on those hot sunny days or just pick a shady spot to read a book , sip a glass of wine or take in the views.

Cortijo Fuente Arriba offers complete rest and relaxation, an excellent base for exploring and sightseeing and an unforgettable experience of Spanish mountain hospitality from the delightful and charming villagers of Lubrin in the Province of Almeria, Andalucia.

Availability: 5 July, 2010 to 30 September, 2010

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Test Drive Living in Almeria - House Sitting Opportunity

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm

I thought Slavery had been abolished..? :lol:

Or would there be some financial remuneration as well ? :?

I doubt anyone would have time to sit under a tree reading or lounging around the pool after dealing with all of the work listed.. :problem:

Regards,
Gordon..

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:53 pm

If you end up with a surplus of enquiries, send them to me, I could do with a break from same set up :lol: :lol:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Did you have any takers for your similar requests in previous years?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:43 pm

thats not house sitting, thats taking over your business for just short of 3 months :wtf:

how much are you paying.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Lubrin is not the most attractive of places neither are the views. :(

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 am

And you are prepared to pay how much ?
This is a joke posting, has to be :?
Ah! the full english!!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 am

Re reading the original post(which was quite cleverly done) this has nothing to do with house sitting it's a bloody free advert !!
Ah! the full english!!

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alig99 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:46 am

It was my understanding that house sitting often requires the house sitters to pay for the opportunity to house sit! maybe this is the charge for free accommodation. Just a thought as people seem to think that you housesit for free. ali

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:42 am

This has nothing to do with housesitting, it's a pitiful attempt at free advertsing !

As for your comments, I can't think of anyone in thier right mind who would want to pay someone to house sit, where do you get this stuff from ?
Ah! the full english!!

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alig99 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 pm

ooh Retro P get you!! :clap: that stuff you refer to is from a friend of mine who house sits thank you very much :D

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 am

Actually Lubrin IS quite attractive, think you must be confusing it with somewhere else.

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am

fuentearriba wrote:What am I looking for in a house sitter?
What responsibilities will my house sitter have?
Domestic cleaning and Laundry
Maintenance of Swimming Pool(Summer only)
Garden Maintenance
Set up Welcome Pack
Meet & Greet renters
Advise renters on local tourist information.
Experienced Gardner & Handyman an advantage.
Full training given.
[/b]
Sounds like a full day's work to me - presumably the reason there is no pay is that you benefit from the wonderful climate and scenery. Using this logic then really all holiday reps, waiters, cleaners, bar workers in fact all workers should really be working for nothing in Andalucia. What a marvellous idea - I think that this could take off - as the Spanish economy is going in a seriously bad downward direction then this is a surefire way to reduce wages and provide a major boost to the economy. And if the workers really feel the need to eat and clothe themselves then they could go busking on the streets which would benefit the tourist industry with the wonderful street music! Win win all round then! :thumbup:
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon May 03, 2010 10:20 am

Jool. no it was Lubrin that I was referring to. Co-incidentally it was to view the property referred to here which was on the market in 2004. Nice property but the village and the area did nothing for me nor, for that matter, did anywhere else in that area of Almeria but I accept that it is a matter of personal taste.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Retro P wrote:This has nothing to do with housesitting, it's a pitiful attempt at free advertsing !

As for your comments, I can't think of anyone in thier right mind who would want to pay someone to house sit, where do you get this stuff from ?

so you wouldnt pay someone to stay at your house, keeping it secure, feed your dogs and cats, water your plants, making sure it doesnt get robbed? why not?

you could leave the house empty and put the dogs and cats in kennels, away from their home, with strangers, for 9€ per animal per day - if you have a few animals, that works out at alot of money if you are away for a couple of weeks or more, and your house is empty.

so you´d come back, the pets would be safe (maybe), you´d have a big bill but your house is ransacked and youve still got to cut the grass. surely if you paid someone to stay at your house, you would be getting a personal service and the pets would not be under distress, and you´d come back in a few weeks time with no worries?

whereas.. i do agree.. this looks like an attempt at a free ad. or they are expecting far too much from someone that is helping them out.

like i said, how much are you paying op.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 am

Spanish lad, sorry if I have caused some confusion here, what I meant here was, who in thier right mind (the house sitter) would pay to take care of someone else's house, put it this way if I was house sitting I would want at the very least, my living AND travelling expenses paid !!
Ah! the full english!!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 am

Quite agree, Retro. When I need a house sitter, it is usually someone I know or a member of family who will fly out. I leave a freezer and fridge full of food, all their drinks and pay their flight. I have several houses on one plot and it is worth it to me. I expect them to use pool and jacuzzi and have a generally nice time, chilling out and having a holiday in the sun. They are doing me and my animals, plants etc., a big favour. It is the least I can do.
My friend recently went away without a sitter and there was a power cut - she lost the entire freezer full of food. The cost of putting all of my pets in kennels is more than compensated plus I know they will be happy staying in their own home with someone they know.
If I needed the services of OP, I would pay a site manager - it is simply a very clever advert as Retro pointed out initially - can I have a freebie advert too ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 am

I have seen the add on several different forums, surely someone must want a few unpaid months work :lol: shouldn't laugh because I Imagine they will find someone it will suit eventually !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.