Is it possible ... ?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is it possible ... ?

Postby brianjackson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Something you may be able to help me with:

My Grandson is currently Studying Spanish at university here in the UK.

Next year he is going to Spain for a year to live, study and work. This is organised by the university and they are helping him to find accomodation etc.

His girlfriend is wanting to accompany him for the year and will have to be able to support herself while there.

The question is, how easy will she find it to gain employment over there ? We are not sure which region he will be in but will either be the around Cordoba or Granada.

The main sticking point I can see is the fact that she speaks very little / no Spanish language at all. This may not be such a handicap in the Costas, but inland I know it can be very difficult to communicate.

Any idea as to what kind of opportunities may be available, or is it a no chance ?

I would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Thank you

Brian.
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Is it possible ... ?

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Brian,

Spain is going through one of the worst crisis it has ever seen at the moment. the lates figures for unemployment in August 2010 is 20.5% of the population are unemployed. Partly because at the end of summer more people are layed off (there is a lot of seasonal work here) and the crisis.

Speaking Spanish would certainly help but even Spanish people are finding it hard to get work.

Appologies for the not so good news but this is how it is at the moment here (I live on the coast and its hard).

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:46 pm

ian.wilson wrote:Appologies for the not so good news but this is how it is at the moment here (I live on the coast and its hard).
Maybe for you but not for everyone! We are doing fantastically well and at the point of needing more people to help out (thats another story and one that makes this current unemployment situation a bit farcical). Moving in a more positive crowd would suggest that there is definitely work out there if you are suitably professionally skilled and can actually do what you say you can. Almost everyone we know are doing OK work/business wise and some actually turning work away such is the load. "OK" may not mean that it´s back to the good old days but at least it´s not closing down and going back to the UK which can only be seen as an improvement.

Apologies for putting a positive spin on things as I know it isn´t particuarly fashionable to do so in the current climate but there is work if you know where to look, know who to ask and actually know what you are doing and not just offering the "I will do anything" CV around

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Maybe you should think about offering some people in marbella jobs. I know someone who sent out 400 CV's and never got a reply :roll:

Or offer this guy a job who wants to sell a kidney :wink:

http://www.diariosur.es/v/20101028/mala ... 01028.html

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:34 pm

katy wrote:Maybe you should think about offering some people in marbella jobs.
Maybe we already have and maybe that is the other story :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:09 pm

I do think Marbella may be the exception as unemployment is 30% in Almeria.....

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Bad in marbella too, especially outside the summer season.

http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerjanews/201 ... its-14000/

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm

:roll:

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Andy T,
What line of work is it you are offering?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 pm

AndyT, I don't see any vacancies advertised on your marketing website.
It is good to see a positive outlook in the commercial world in Spain.
Are you sure that you have a grip on reality? :lol:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Glad to see you are busy Andy T,

but please, please, don't tell me you are in foreign currency exchange/conservatories/removals abroad/selling oak beams/selling plots in Bulgaria/ selling whisky or gold/ letting out holiday homes

If none of these things, then good luck :thumbup:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:20 pm

I too am glad you are busy Andy. In the meantime, one friend of mine has just had to return home this week and another going next week due to lack of work in this area.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 pm

[quote="Jool"]I do think Marbella may be the exception as unemployment is 30% in Almeria.....[/quote]
And generally in Spain, for under 25's, the unemployement rate is nearer 43%, and I imagine the two the OP mentions would be in that age group.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 pm

brianjackson wrote:
The question is, how easy will she find it to gain employment over there ? We are not sure which region he will be in but will either be the around Cordoba or Granada.

The main sticking point I can see is the fact that she speaks very little / no Spanish language at all. This may not be such a handicap in the Costas, but inland I know it can be very difficult to communicate.

Any idea as to what kind of opportunities may be available, or is it a no chance ?

Brian, it's probably a no chance.

Youth unemployment in Spain is over 40% and worse in Andalucia - and they all speak Spanish.

I know of young Spaniards who are leaving Spain for carer jobs in the UK for £500/wk - more than they can earn in a month in Spain - if they can find a job.

Sid

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 am

I am sure there are no 'real' jobs out there. Simply look at the numerous adverts in Sur in English taking up a couple of pages and see if you can spot one, I can't!!!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am

Yes Andy I´d like to know where there are real proper job vacancies too please as I know several bi-lingual people who may well want to apply.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:55 am

Agree, chances seem pretty remote. She "might" be able to earn some pin money giving English classes, but even if you get it, it's sporadic, odd hours, and poorly paid. Plus everyone seems to go armed with e TEFL nowadays, and I imagine in places like Granada where loads of Brits study, it'll be even worse. She might need to rethink her plans. Young Spanish girl near me works at the local comp as a teaching assistant, and gives several Spanish classes a week working for the nearest university, moneywise she thinks she's died and gone to heaven! Just changed her car, looking to buy another house with her partner, and as it's half term, she's on holiday in the Greek Islands!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am

Figures out today show that the number of unemployed has risen again in andalucía. Most other parts of Spain saw a slight drop. Official figure for Andalucía is 28.5 :shock:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:52 am

She could try teaching English.There are plenty of people who don't want to do grammar or learn vocabulary by heart and just want to practice speaking and listening to a native speaker.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 pm

If she is going to teach English then I would suggest getting a TEFL qualification. I heard something that it was going to become a requirement anyway. It is in some countries already.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!