TEACHING ENGLISH. 1:1 and classes for young learner s

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ninja Nonna

TEACHING ENGLISH. 1:1 and classes for young learner s

Postby Ninja Nonna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 am

Hi
Does anyone have any idea on prices for the above please? I would like to pitch the lesson prices quite low to make affordable, but not price myself out of the market as students progress. I have a 140 hour online advanced TEFL, plus a British Certificate to teach in the Life Long Learning Centre (post 16 - adults), plus experience of both supporting and teaching ESOL learners in an adult further education College.
I will be living in a poor agricultural area for a while but hope to progress to a city shortly. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to build a website, and perhaps start a small business legitimately? How much does this cost? Thanks for any tips or ideas?

Mike.M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: TEACHING ENGLISH. 1:1 and classes for young learner s

Postby Mike.M » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi,

You will probably get more of a response posting here -> http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/. It's a site aimed at Expat English Teachers in Spain.

If you want an idea of prices here in the North, then see here -> http://www.englishinasturias.com/bookings/Prices.php and at the bottom of the page you an see the ammount of bookings she has ... seems a fairly consistant tickover.

From speaking to various TEFL people on the flights to and from Asturias .... the one consistent thing they mention is their location ..... 'being in a Town / City is better'. I'm sure that this would be correct even though it is a generalisation and obviousy the woman at the website above is fairly rural.

Regards,

Mike

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi,

"I will be living in a poor agricultural area ".....so around 5€ /Hour if you are lucky, MOH has been doing for the past 6 years and I've yet to see any "real" money change hands as they pay in kind, land clearing etc... but then we aren't running a business.

Checkout your chosen area...English Academia..from my area see below...

http://www.alcalaonline.net/BusEducation.htm

They are primary English Teaching but advertise Spanish on an "English" Website... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

LizFox
Tourist

Postby LizFox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

My niece was getting €10 an hour in a pueblo blanco. If you don't accept less, you'll find people willing to pay that - otherwise they're taking a lend of you. You want the tusclasesparticulares website - I found loads of classes through that when I was looking. It's brilliant - just log what you're looking for and people come to you. Good luck.

LizFox
Tourist

Postby LizFox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Don't forget you're looking for Spanish people wanting to learn English - why use an expat website?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,
The OP did say "poor agricultural area", rates €10/hr in Jaén city, for Teenage and Adult classes.
Pre-teenage.........€5 or payment in kind......... 8) On our mountain. :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:46 pm

You don't say which part of Spain you're based. In the north you can expect to earn much more per hour than in the south. I've looked at the prices on the link and I those rates could quite easily be achieved up here.The problem is that in a little village the needs are different.

Unless you find someone is going to study for or has a job which requires a good level of English, you will need to rely on kids that are struggling to get the grades they need to pass from one year to another.

To earn more per hour, try to fix up classes with two or three or more kids of the same level at the same time and charge per month,not class so if one doesn't attend,they'll still have to pay.

The EU subsidizes learning for adults so quite often companies offer classes and need native speakers,However,this will also depend where you are. Again in the north there is a shortage of native speakers,whereas in the south companies are suffering badly and are cutting down on this perk.Even in Madrid and Barcelona, you would earn less for this type of work because it's easier to find people.

In July you might be able to supplement your earnings by working in an summer camp if you don't mind being away from the family for a few weeks. You'd need to keep an eye on the English teaching websites.

You will need to take into account that taxes will need to be paid especially if you are the main breadwinner in the household.

Good Luck

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 am

[quote="LizFox"]My niece was getting €10 an hour in a pueblo blanco.[/quote]

Better not let my little Spanish teacher here in UK see this, she gets £25 for an hour, but she normally does a good hour and a half. She says we are paying her too much, but there are three of us and we all think she's worth every penny.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 pm

frank wrote:
LizFox wrote:My niece was getting €10 an hour in a pueblo blanco.
Better not let my little Spanish teacher here in UK see this, she gets £25 for an hour, but she normally does a good hour and a half. She says we are paying her too much, but there are three of us and we all think she's worth every penny.
Why make a comparison with the UK, is it relevant?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:39 pm

It is actually possible to earn that or more in Spain. Again it depends on the area.

Ninja Nonna

Postby Ninja Nonna » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded, you've all been a huge help - such good advice too! Thanks again :wink: