newbie here hello

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

newbie here hello

Postby mountainlass » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello

I have joined this forum as my husband and I are planning to move to Andalucia at the end of 2013.

I will be taking early retirement from the NHS, we will both be 56. Financially we have done our sums and investigates tax/private healthcare/residency etc and are as confident as we can be that we will be able to manage. We have a file several inches thick full of information on taxes, utilities etc, but appreciate that this is an every changing force within Spain at the moment.

The move is driven by a desire to have a different experience and way of life... not a better life just different. We have over the past few years, lost friends and colleagues and have now decided that life it to short to just sit and say what if.

We will be visiting in February to travel around several areas that we have identified.

My top spot is the Alpujurass, We live in a rural location in the UK and a pint of milk is a 15 minute drive so we are used to that type of life. However I am also aware that mountain life is not for everyone. We are hoping to stay in Cadiar for a few nights so would appreciate any advice on places to visit both the good and the bad, I am not interested in just focusing on the pretty want to know the negatives. I am drawn to this area for the birds, walking and peace and quiet. We need to be certain though we can deal with the weather in the Winter months, some snow and cold we are not worried about, but how long does the snow lay for? As I have already said the idea of mountain life is appealing the reality takes a bit more thought. Having said that we are hardy folk, and capable of being self sufficient.

Another location we will be visiting in the area around Alcala De Real - Castillo De Locubin - Again looks to be a lovely area but needs more research

Someone has also recommended that we view the areas around Puente -Genil - this is the area that I am least sure about.

As I said our first visit will be in February and then we will be coming over several times. When we move we will, rent initially before committing to one area unless the right property comes along
We wish to purchase a property with enough land to be fairly self sufficient on a small scale - not farmers!!!! - we are here - with some chooks - have 6 of those here as well!!. Long term I would like to offer Accommodation, mainly for several reasons - any extra income is always helpful but mainly because although leaving work here, it would be nice to have something else to focus on.

I speak, ironically reasonable French, and I am studying Spanish at the moment, on my own, but will be studying at a college in the new year.

Well that's my ramblings at an end.

ML

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: newbie here hello

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi mountainlass,
Welcome to The Forum..........

"We live in a rural location in the UK and a pint of milk is a 15 minute drive so we are used to that type of life" More like 1200miles from this area...........but we know what you mean. :thumbup:

Alcalá la Real great area not too many Brits....... :thumbup: Most locals only speak Spanish..... :D and not even been out of the area. Wall to Wall Olive Trees.............some reasonable high hills, the one running up from us is higher than Snowdon. Not so cold as the Alpujarra, we get snow most years for a few days and temperature drops to -9c on frosty nights.........got some snow forecast for tomorrow so the Huskys will have some fun.
If you want more specific info PM me nearer the time of your visit............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 pm

I have visited Cadiar several times, lots of Brits around and properties look cheap, its a fair way to a large supermarket though. imobicosta granada rent and sell properties in that area, enjoy !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 am

Ok, here comes some food for thought... :D

You're both 56 (or will be), and in reasonable health, so living up a mountain isn't likely to be a problem - yet ! It obviously depends on how long you think you might stay for, but as you get older you may have illnesses, mobility problems etc, so you need to think about that side of things. Could an ambulance reach you ? Could either of you drive the other to a hospital ? Where is the nearest hospital ? Do you want complete isolation, or a nearish neighbour who you could call on in an emergency ?

Sorry to be a bit doom & gloom-ish, but you sound as though you're being very thorough, and I thought this might be something you hadn't considered...

I envy you - we planned to move out to our casa, but ill health (for both of us) has changed these plans so much that we may be forced to sell up in the next couple of years as we will no longer be able to travel to Spain :thumbdown: :(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 am

"Long term I would like to offer Accommodation"

That would indicate the need for a base in Tourist area...........Alcalá la Real is not .

All the British run B&B that where up and running in the boom years have long closed down, except a niche market one.

As chrissiehope points out.......some mountain villages are quite isolated........one bus a day for the school children.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Many thanks - this is interesting - We have presumed that these sort businesses would have closed down now, due to the economic situation. Def food for thought, it is a case of wanting the best of both worlds i suppose - non tourist for us, something to do ie accomodation , maybe we will review that plan. We are lucky that we will not be financailly dependant on rental income - I will just have to sits and thinks a bit longer when we arrive

Enrique wrote:"Long term I would like to offer Accommodation"

That would indicate the need for a base in Tourist area...........Alcalá la Real is not .

All the British run B&B that where up and running in the boom years have long closed down, except a niche market one.

As chrissiehope points out.......some mountain villages are quite isolated........one bus a day for the school children.
chrissiehope wrote:Ok, here comes some food for thought... :D

!

You're both 56 (or will be), and in reasonable health, so living up a mountain isn't likely to be a problem - yet ! It obviously depends on how long you think you might stay for, but as you get older you may have illnesses, mobility problems etc, so you need to think about that side of things. Could an ambulance reach you ? Could either of you drive the other to a hospital ? Where is the nearest hospital ? Do you want complete isolation, or a nearish neighbour who you could call on in an emergency ?

Sorry to be a bit doom & gloom-ish, but you sound as though you're being very thorough, and I thought this might be something you hadn't considered...

I envy you - we planned to move out to our casa, but ill health (for both of us) has changed these plans so much that we may be forced to sell up in the next couple of years as we will no longer be able to travel to Spain :thumbdown: :(
many thanks to you as well. Yes this is something that we have given a lot of thought too and will be taking into consideration when we veiw the area and properties. The idea of Isolation is great, however the reality is something different. I am not worried about a bit of doom and gloom because thats the reality. Yes health is something to be considered. We are lucky that we do have back up resources in the UK should the worst happen. Hopefully we will get old enough to be a burden on our children!!! LOL -

I appreciate your replies

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Another thing to think about- when the rains come, they come! We looked at a couple of ´rural´ homes, they were perfect, we went back for a 2nd look a month later, after there had been heavy rain, and the track was all but washed away, so that ended our vision of living there. We were assured by the agent that a road was being built by the town hall, but we took that information as ´estate agent talk´ We could not see the town hall building a road for 4 houses that were along the track. :lol: :lol:

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:05 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Another thing to think about- when the rains come, they come! We looked at a couple of ´rural´ homes, they were perfect, we went back for a 2nd look a month later, after there had been heavy rain, and the track was all but washed away, so that ended our vision of living there. We were assured by the agent that a road was being built by the town hall, but we took that information as ´estate agent talk´ We could not see the town hall building a road for 4 houses that were along the track. :lol: :lol:
This is probably my one misgiving......funnily enough Husband mentioned about the rains this morning, as we assume like most "summer hot" places the flip side is going to be torrential rains at some point. But you do make a good point. We decided to visit in Feb so we are not seduced by the warm sunshine and prettiness! Visiting after heavy rain in now on my list - so thanks.
As for estate agents - yes they can be a bit OTT and it is amazing how many properties are advertised as Would make great B&B / lettings - yes they probably would convert and be great but not much good if no one ever visits the area!!!!.

Where are you based?

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi Mountainlass

My advice would be to rent for at least a year - move around to see where you really want to be. There is no substitute for actually living in a place. We are on our 2nd rental and will be moving to a 3rd next year. One thing we have found - what we thought we wanted was not what we want at all!

As for living in isolation - I see no problem in doing that at 56. Enjoy what you can whilst you can. When you finally get the zimmer frame with go faster stripes you can always move!

My brother and family lived in Mecina Bombaron which is further up from Cadiar. Cadiar itself isn't particularly 'touristy' but the alpujarras are attractive to many and if you aren't reliant on rental income then have a go.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:45 pm

mountainlass wrote: We decided to visit in Feb so we are not seduced by the warm sunshine and prettiness!
Some might say that visiting in Feb you will see the countryside at it's prettiest.
The grass and trees will be green, the almond blossoms in their full glory and the wild flowers appearing.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 pm

gerryh wrote:
mountainlass wrote: We decided to visit in Feb so we are not seduced by the warm sunshine and prettiness!
Some might say that visiting in Feb you will see the countryside at it's prettiest.
The grass and trees will be green, the almond blossoms in their full glory and the wild flowers appearing.
Cheers
Gerry
now stop it my mouth is watering at the prospect :mrgreen:

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 am

Hi ML, we too are in a very similar position, including age and reason for retiring etc. We made a couple of trips this year and will make some more next year. You are obviously not going into this with your eyes closed as I hope we aren't and it is something to look forward to. No matter how much research we have done and prepare we still expect some surprises, although not quite as many as those who sell up and decide to buy a bar in fuengirola.

We looked in and around Periana, which is stunning imho. There is a blog which is very good called, east of malaga, produced by east of malaga who has been on here and is worth a read through.

Good luck and enjoy the research, I also think it is best basing calculations on a low euro exchange rate as opposed to those that moved when they were getting €1.80 to sterling and some have had their fingers bitten badly. Then again even that looks on the up again.

Roy

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Just to pick up on the point about February weather, yes it is a beautiful time of the year so I would advise another visit in mid-July/August just to experience the heat! Before we moved we also spent a lot of time exploring a number of areas but we visited in the cooler winter months. With hindsight we wish we had done the same in the height of summer because we would probably have opted for the coast rather than inland. Endless weeks of sun and high temperatures can be tedious, they really can! :shock:

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 pm

As for living in isolation - I see no problem in doing that at 56. Enjoy what you can whilst you can. When you finally get the zimmer frame with go faster stripes you can always move!
LOL - that is our thoughts as well....life is all too short.

Many thanks for all the advice and good wishes.

We are looking forwarded to the visits and although have a certain amount of nervousness ( which I see as a positive) we are looking forward to the exhilaration of what lays ahead be it good, bad and indifferent.

We know there are going to be days, weeks even months where we think what have we done, Days in the summer when we pray for the English rain. Will we fit in, who knows, we can only but try.

ML

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm

In the height of summer I long for winter, now winter is here and it has turned cold how I long for summer :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am

oliveview01 wrote:In the height of summer I long for winter, now winter is here and it has turned cold how I long for summer :lol:
We say the same. It can be a bit 'all or nothing' here as it seems to switch between summer and winter without the spring and autumn sometimes. It can be very windy here too .... as it is today .... so beware of living on a windy ridge. We have done that in the past. The views may have been fantastic but the wind almost blew us away at times.

Mountainlass, you seem to be well prepared. Nothing can substitute actually living somewhere though, so you are very wise to rent and see how it goes. We live only a few miles inland from the coast but it is a very quiet and Spanish area and we are the only foreigners living in this part of the valley. You don't have to be miles up into the mountains to feel isolated or in the 'real Spain'. We have the best of both worlds that we are only 1.5kms from our nearest village and we can walk there if absolutely necessary (it's very steep, but do-able in an emergency). Our track was almost washed away in the rains the other week as well. We couldn't have got out without our 4x4 and even then it was hitting the rocks underneath. All good fun! We moved here in our early 40s and have never regretted it, so good luck to you.

Navas
Tourist

Postby Navas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

We know what Andalucia is like in the summer having been there several times in various parts, so we decided to do our first visit to look for a place to live at the end of October. We were only there two days. The first day it rained so heavily that the roads in the hilly town we stayed in had streams of water running down them. The dramatic landscape disappeared under a blanket of low cloud (It was amazing watching the clouds rolling across the hills and closing in on us from a distance!). We were able to keep warm next to a lovely log burner - it wasn't a warm day. The following day was mostly cloudy with some sun. The sun came out the moment we walked up to a house we fell in love with and standing outside that house with views across the valley to the hills and mountains beyond, I was so hot I took off my coat and fleece (yes, I had felt that cold!)
I am now under no illusions about the weather there but still feel a very strong yearning to live there (my mother's family were from Jaen province - I always feel like I'm going home). Hoping to move in 2014.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Hope you get your dream Navas. :thumbup:

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Mountainlass

Just live your dream. - We moved here 8 years ago, we are in our mid 50s and live in a ruinous cortijo in the campo (countryside) near Iznajar. We have taken breaks in the Alpujarras especially around Bubion, Capileira, Pampaneira and Trevelez, the scenery is stunning.

We would strongly recommend that you rent somewhere for a year or so, more as a base, so you can explore other areas of Andalucia and get a feel for living here.

Best of luck
Terry

spaniola
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby spaniola » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Mountainlass and Navas, Jaén is lovely, Alcala had become rather a Brit haven but I´m not sure how many are around there now. We´re further north and have a holiday home which we rent if you´re looking for accommodation in Jaén, PM me if you like.
http://www.andaluciaexplorer.blogspot.com