Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby anyroads » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:39 am

You are right of course.

However, getting back to the original question.

Personally I think it is a big ask. Survive, perhaps just, but "live", no !

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 am

Besides.

Not sure if the UK could afford to have too many pensioners back who are living quite content in Europe on the basic state pension.

anyroads

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:21 am

Well thinking about it. I'd far rather my contributions go to the OAPs on here and anywere else abroad for that matter, as I know you've all done your bit and earned the right.........worst thing you've ever done to the UK is to say Mercadona is cheaper than Tesco :mrgreen:

However supporting qatadas puchbag and his army of sprogs is something I definitely don't want any part of.

One in the eye for Brussels and one for the scumbag himself.

Maybe the penny is dropping now and we may start looking looking after our own a bit more.....irrespective of where they live.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Maybe the penny is dropping now and we may start looking looking after our own a bit more.....irrespective of where they live.
Don't hold your breath!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 pm

gerryh wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

Nag a ram. :crazy:
I've never tried Nagging a ram, tried Muffin the Mule and Doggin a Donkey .
Cheers
Gerry
Who's been at the vino again.
Gerry

aren't some of the above illegal? Or did you work for the BBC?
I can spell but I can't type

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

janda_grant2 wrote:
gerryh wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

Nag a ram. :crazy:
I've never tried Nagging a ram, tried Muffin the Mule and Doggin a Donkey .
Cheers
Gerry
Who's been at the vino again.
Gerry

aren't some of the above illegal? Or did you work for the BBC?
No I didn't work for the BBC, but the Mule and Donkey where consenting adults and it was all done in privacy, so it was perfectly legal. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Who's been at the vino again. :wave:
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

This is all very well but I'd like to know if UK OAPs can survive in Spain on basic pensions. After all, we can't just live on goat.
Dave

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I've had a drink so not sure I should be posting.
But ,whatever you do d not look up muffin the mule on the urban dictionary

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 am

Mowser wrote:This is all very well but I'd like to know if UK OAPs can survive in Spain on basic pensions. After all, we can't just live on goat.
Quite right, too expensive.
Bread & cheese is sufficient. Maybe sometimes with a onion.
Todos somos Lorca.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:30 am

SO,
When I first wrote the title I tried to select the wording carefully ..''Can UK O.A.P.S. Survive On Basic Pensions'', and I am now convinced, more than ever, that it is possible and many 'Are Doing Exactly That'.
Obviously, as correctly pointed out by many forum members, it really does depend on whether you own your property and the type of lifestyle that you lead.
I know that there could be many sacrifices to be made, or maybe I should say 'adjustments' to your lifestyles, but it is achievable, and in many cases a change of lifestyle will be beneficial , money doesn't always bring happiness, but of course it does provides creature comforts and removes worry about paying the bills etc.

Ok , so you can manage on a relatively small amount of money, and of course this also includes many of the younger people who don't have regular pensions supporting them, but should you have to ?

For pensioners just a relatively small increase in State pension would make a world of difference and instead of giving the extras like 'Winter Fuel Allowance', surely it would make more economic sense to pay a standard pension to everyone. ?

And for people without the help of a pension I am aware that it is extremely difficult, but there are many still struggling on, not everyone has returned to the UK.

I've seen many trying to survive by selling at car-boots, very difficult I know, but you really need to say 'Well Done' to them for making the effort, and of course it would be good for everyone to try and support these people by buying from them, I know that 'every little helps'.

Keep Smiling !!

Regards,
Gordon

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Surely this also applies in the UK, if survival here is dependent on owning houses and having reduced overheads, then this applies in UK. Except that in the UK access to further benefits is available, pension credits etc. If you were having trouble surviving on income here and returned to the UK under the same rules, that is no top ups etc , then life would be difficult in the UK as well.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:02 am

BENIDORM wrote: And for people without the help of a pension I am aware that it is extremely difficult, but there are many still struggling on, not everyone has returned to the UK.

I've seen many trying to survive by selling at car-boots, very difficult I know, but you really need to say 'Well Done' to them for making the effort, and of course it would be good for everyone to try and support these people by buying from them, I know that 'every little helps'.
To be honest, Gordon, I am not sure that it is best for people in those circumstances to keep struggling on. I've known one or two couples who kept hanging on in Spain until they literally found it difficult to scrape together enough for the airfare back to the UK, couldn't afford to take personal possessions back with them, and left debts like unpaid rent behind. I'm sure some people keep making a dogged effort to hang on believing that things must get better soon, but surely it would be better for them to accept the reality of the situation at an earlier stage when they still have a little bit of money left that would help them to make a new start in the UK where their chances of finding work would be much better (everyone I know who went back looking for work has been able to find it), and if they can't, at least some financial help is available from the state even if they would rather not claim it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 am

F.A.L,
Yes I entirely agree with you and maybe 4 or 5 years ago I did start numerous threads on here about 'going back' and actively encouraged and assisted numerous families to return, and it was the correct decision for them.
However there are many people who will not quit, for all types of reasons and it is their choice and I do respect their resilience and 'Dunkirk Spirit' for keeping going, and they have learnt some valuable lessons that will stay with them forever.

When I was first setting up business in Spain in the early '90's it was a very similar situation, I remember many families standing on car-boots selling everything to raise enough cash to fund their flights back, and many of them owned very large villas and had enjoyed good lifestyles until the bubble burst, so nothing new there.

It's impossible to make statements about what is correct, everyone's circumstances differ dramatically, so really I only ever intend to write about issues that maybe some people will take guidance from.

Barry, I also understand where you are coming from, for some moving back it will be the same struggle , but just in a different location, and I know that there is probably more help available, but it really is a 'swings and roundabouts' situation.
Another thing I often mentioned was the fact that there is 'No Shame' about admitting defeat and returning, it's just another chapter in life.
Regards,
Gordon

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm

"Another thing I often mentioned was the fact that there is 'No Shame' about admitting defeat and returning, it's just another chapter in life"

After all......

katy went back.

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Best thing we ever did too. At least if we wanted to return we would have made at least £90,000 profit on UK house and could buy cheaper in Spain than the price we sold :P We would at least have a pot to draw on.

I have seen those Brits selling tat from their old lives at boot sales, they are pathetic, you have to feel for them. Money doesn't buy happiness but poverty doesn't imply being happy either...look at all the recent suicides in Spain.

I would say to anyone reading this thread to come out and try living on basic pension for a month or two before burning your boats.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Blimey katy,

Is there anything you do not pick up on these boards ?. I am sure if I had posted this in error on one off the "minor" areas, you would have still picked it up.

Do you have spies out there ?

anyroads

PS. It was tongue in cheek of course.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Postings are so scarce it's difficult to miss anything :lol: You can't beat a good poverty thread when all the national treasures come out...it's very PC to boast about being poor...even if you aren't :wink:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 pm

I am a little bit too honest to boast about being poor, especially after renewing my Gunners ( as in that North London team who keep betting beeped ) season ticket for the 20th year running. Why I bother there days, is another story.

anyroads

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 pm

that North London team who keep betting beeped
Ars­enal?
Dave

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Yes !,

But always "beeps" me.

anyroads