Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Well fair do's, but you know Frank does get up everyone's nose, he's very self opinionated and doesn't care what he writes, and anyway he claims not to read my input, so what does it matter.?

Anyway I hope that you enjoy your evening, what's left of it...I'm off to drink my Ovaltine...

Pleasant dreams :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:42 am

Irene, I've sent you a pm :wave:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:16 am

In 12 years I've never had anyone come who has hired a car or made there own way here from the airport. :wtf: They assume I have nothing better to do than a 320km round trip to pick them up. :lolno:
One brother-in-law & wife wanted to come with one of the daughters , her husband & 2 children. When I explained that I couldn't pick them up as the car wasn't big enough to carry them all he suggested that I hire a mpv/minibus & leave my car at the airport. ?? :wtf: & guess who would have been paying ? & that's a bloke with a bottomless pit of money ! Needless to say when I said no they didn't come . :lol:

The only people that actually make there own way here are friends from Devon in a motorhome.
The last time the mother-in-law came ( first time we'd seen it for 30 years ! ) , & I mean the last time 'cause she's never coming again, she offered me 100€ for diesel. At least she offered , pity I had to swallow the other 300 € diesel myself !
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 am

Julie wrote:
Gerry why not post it all :( why leave out the offensive part
Julie the post I quoted was the complete message and the latest message.
The one you just quoted was a different, also complete, but earlier message.
OK, perhaps I should have quoted both messages but as I didn't think either message was offensive I just posted the one I thought you thought was offensive.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:40 am

Julie, I agree with an earlier comment, your posts over recent months have changed and I see a definite cliquey feel with certain people being Camp Frank regardless of how unpleasant he can sometimes be. (and one or two others but no point in mentioning names as they have kept out of this little fracas)

Recently I tried to make a point about how the written word can be interpreted but when there is no room for misinterpretation, such as Frank being just plain offensive then what does one do? Yes, Beni gave him a (light-hearted) riposte but that was because he could see I was extremely hurt. Others agree about his nasty streak (Frank not Beni lol) but -as I say - there are Camp Frank supporters and good luck to you. I will continue to read A.Com as it's a very interesting forum. I will keep in touch with lots of you (many thanks for all the kind and thoughtful PMs) and I even have plans to meet up with a few people in 'real life' so good comes out of bad :thumbup:

Many thanks to you lovely lot for an excellent time here over the years, it genuinely has been invaluable in helping OH and I to settle - special thanks to the amazing Sid.

I will de-activate this evening (I nearly said 'exterminate' lol - even Frank isn't as 'orrible as a Dalek though he has to all intents and purposes exterminated me from the board :lol: )

Still time to swap e-mails! No not you Frank lol

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 am

As usual The nastiness is started by Frank. I have just read back through the post and the first rudeness ("tightwads", which is insulting on many levels.) was posted by him. before that the thread was coasting along amicably with very good points being made by everybody.

Julie, no matter what you say to defend him, If he didn't start it, nobody would feel the need to react. It doesn't matter that this is a forum not a pub

I didn't post on the thread because I am not a pensioner so have no personal experience.

However, the thread has moved on a bit and as far as friends and family are concerned, I have no problem picking them up from the airport etc and never expect anything in return. But not everybody is in my situation, I live close to the airport and both my wife and I are working. Frank really needs to respect other poster's situations without calling them names,

Even my own situation differs depending on my guest. I would never want any contribution from certain close relatives but friends will often offer take us out for a nice meal to show their appreciation.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 am

I didn't post on the thread because I am not a pensioner so have no personal experience.
Same here mate, but one cracking bunfight you have to say :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:22 am

However, I have never ever stayed there for free, we take the family for a free meal and we have always left at least a couple of hundred euros on the table as we left.
You are indeed Andrew Carnegie and I claim my $10. :wave:
Dave

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:28 am

Yeh! He sounds like the ideal guest, if it was all about money!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Irene, I can assure you I am not in any camp as you put it, I am not a child in a playground who is so insecure I feel the need to take sides, I am just saying it how I see it, maybe its the fact that you see it as a fight and have to take sides that is the problem and makes you feel that you have to leave because again you didn't get your own way.
Gerry the post I added was and is the post that you posted.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Could we get back on topic now - pleeeese!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Julie - I would just like to point out that Irene has always been even-handed in her posts, and I'm sure that it isn't a case of [quote="Julie"]...feel that you have to leave because again you didn't get your own way...
quote], but rather that there comes a point where even the most easy-going person gets one insult too many :thumbdown:

Sorry Sid - won't say any more :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Julie. We are not talking about opinions but rudeness,which quite clearly contravenes the rules as they stand.
Frank, is entitled to his opinions, his feelings of superiority, and his dislike of the expat, riffraff, cheap and chips brigade (As he sees us) And we are entitled to ours.
Those opinions alone and some of his post only help to form a quite negative opinion about him without his having to confirm the fact he's a...........

El Cid wrote:Could we get back on topic now - pleeeese!
Sid ,
with respect your intervention should have been much earlier

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 pm

markwilding wrote:
Sid ,
If I had someone would probably complain about that. Incidentally I received no complaints about any of the posts.

Would you like to take over as Moderator?

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Being a moderator is a thankless task.
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Blimey...!!

I will have to put all of this nastiness down to the fact that there is a Full Moon... :shock:

Will all forum members please inspect the palms of their hands and if there is any sign of hair growing then please report to the local dog pound immediately. :D

I'm not happy to see stalwart members like Gerry being attacked, come on.. he's one of the good guys, and it is a real shame that such a colourful character as Irene is about to forced into seclusion. :(

And Sid..well who could replace him ?..anyway I'm going to recommend him for a pay rise . :wink:

So please lets get back on track and carry on with what I consider to be a very interesting topic, some great responses so far and it would be really good to hear from the ' youngsters' who are not receiving pensions.

Remember... Laughter prolongs an active and full life, almost as good as Marrow-bone jelly.. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon...

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Will all forum members please inspect the palms of their hands and if there is any sign of hair growing
I thought that was a sign of a certain solitary past-time! :lol: :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:24 pm

El Cid wrote:
markwilding wrote:
Sid ,
If I had someone would probably complain about that. Incidentally I received no complaints about any of the posts.

Would you like to take over as Moderator?

Sid
Sid, :wave:
I appreciate your job as a mod isn't easy but my opinion is that insulting other posters shouldn't be allowed.In the last month two posters have threatned to leave due to this.
There is a difference between curt answers ,which we are all guilty of ( you and I included) and the other type.

The OP's question was an extremely good one because even if you're not a member of the forum or if you are and don't feel the need to post, the real experience of people who have moved here might help other's, who are thinking about moving here,to decide.

In the last few years there has been a massive change in the viability of coming and some expats have found their income eroded and might need to make economical adjustments to their lifestyle.
It might be that they aren't too happy with this but rubbing their noses in it by calling them cheapskates is really nasty.

To answer your question. ...NO thankyou :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

markwilding wrote:
I appreciate your job as a mod isn't easy but my opinion is that insulting other posters shouldn't be allowed.In the last month two posters have threatned to leave due to this.
You are right, the rules on posting are quite clear.

Members are encouraged to post and respond in a courteous and polite manner and to be respectful of other users at all times. We discourage posts that are provocative, unnecessarily critical, attacking, bullying, ridiculing others.

However, we rely on people reporting posts which they think break these rules, as what one member finds offensive another (including the mods) may not. The report function is broken at the moment but a PM will reach me within a few minutes.

Also you are not privy to what goes on behind the scenes between the mods, members and the forum owners.

As has been said, it is a thankless job but we endeavour to do our best.

Anyway, enough of this - back to OAP pensions etc please.

Sid

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Surely you do not rely on complaints before instigating any action?