Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 pm

barry wrote:Surely you do not rely on complaints before instigating any action?
It depends. I don't have the time to read every post so some of the time have to rely on input from other members. I suggest you take the time to read the site rules.

Are you another mod candidate?

I would be more than happy to let you take over.

I would also remind you that this is NOT the place to discuss the site rules. The " about this forum" is the correct place. Also discussions about specific moderator actions are NOT permitted on the forum and should be submitted by email to [email protected] in accordance with the site rules but that said a PM will normally be dealt with.

So, as I have asked more than once on this thread, back on topic please. Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 am

Well ,
Good Morning, and I hope that you've all had a good weekend, wherever you are .. :wave:

So you may be on a restricted income, who isn't , but what did you do this weekend ?

Can you still afford to play golf or did you have friends around for a barbecue, or did you go walking ?

I think that there are so many interesting pastimes that you can be involved in that don't cost a lot of money to be involved in, and that's not just for pensioners.

So what did you get up to this weekend ? No Vulgarity Please, this is a family show .. :lol:

Keep Smiling...

And now all join in with this chorus....'The Sun has got his hat on and he's coming out to play...Hip..Hip ...Hooray .. :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 am

I certainly did go walking - up in the Jerte Valley where cherry picking is in full force. Even though it was Sunday there were huge lorries in Navaconcejo loading up with cherries for all points north. Higher up the valley we (I walked with friends) were invited to 'sample' huge quantities of cherries by a family picking on their orchard. In turn we shared out packed lunches excavated from the depths of our rather hot rucksacks. Cool water came from fresh springs in the valley. Sitting under the shade of the cherry trees, with friendly company, overlooking the Jerte Valley ... great stuff ... and affordable on a pension as we all pooled the cost of the diesel to do the 100km to get there. :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Saturday was a lazy, do nothing day, Sunday we had breakfast at the chiringuito and back to the chiringuito for a sardine lunch. The late afternoon was spent at the dog refuge cleaning, so not an exciting weekend, just peaceful. Forgot, Saturday welooked after our neighbours chihuahua who had escaped. They had gone off to their daughter's wedding, so we had the little dog for the afternoon and night. Thankfully all the dogs got on with her!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

Anyway,

Talking figures. I believe someone mentioned EUR 1000 per month for a couple. That might be just doable, if there were no mortgage / rent costs involved. You would still have to have a nest egg somewhere for the little surprises that come up now and again, and of course you would be taking note of every food spend. Not a lot of fun especially as gas / electricity / water rates will still be going up every year.

It depends what you want out of life I suppose. In UK terms, I would still need my gym membership, and my season ticket to my Premier Leage club. Those two alone, with travelling to home matches, not a lot of change from £3,000 a year. As I said, it depends what you want out of life.

anyroads

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

BENIDORM wrote: So what did you get up to this weekend ? No Vulgarity Please, this is a family show .. :lol:
Not a lot at the weekend - just preparing for a Midsummer Barbecue today.

40 people coming, loads of food and drink!

The clever bit is that the guests all bring their own food and booze to be shared around - even an OAP can afford to have a party like that!

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:54 am

..we all do the same too , Sid, and for us it is a hangover from old expat days elsewhere when booze was difficult to obtain, so its origin was a sharing experience. We just continued the theme when we moved and found it to be acceptable and welcomed here too.
We went to a friend's pool party on Saturday and we all took different dishes, chicken madras and rice from us plus the usual booze. The wonderful thing is the host and guests end up with such an array of different foods - nobody knows what is going to be on offer - it is all a surprise unless of course we are specifically asked to fetch something for a special function.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am

Don't tell 'em about all the toys you treat yourself to though Sid........it'll shatter the illusion of a pensioner eeking it out :mrgreen:

Have a cracker today :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Even though the weather wasn't great, I had a decent weekend.

Classes are far and few between now so relaxing is easier. Saturday I watched my son play in the local little world cup. Our team is a mixture of the British countries plus Ireland.We lost 2-1 and as usual went out as usual in the group stage. We have never won a match ever :thumbdown: .
After the match we hung around having drink in one or two of the makeshift bars serving ethnic food and drink from South America and Africa complaining about the ref and what might have been.

On sunday the rain and chilly weather returned so we just did the usual thing and went to the in laws for lunch.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am

Well seems like we are all quite a 'laid back ' lot.. :thumbup:

This summer we want to try and get out further afield to visit historical buildings , museums etc, and I know that there are lots of other interesting places to visit, so if you have any unusual or places of interest worth visiting where you live, I would be very grateful if you could give a brief report / details about them...
I do know that the A.Com has plenty of info. on most places, but it's also nice to hear opinions from people who live near them.

Regards,
Gordon.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 am

One place I only briefly stopped in but regret I did not explore properly is Antequera. It's got a long history AND Ferdinand the Catholic's grandfather came from here. It was a much-prized and much-fought over city in the Middle Ages (mixing my threads here). For history lovers I think it would press many buttons.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:14 am

I agree with you about Antequera. About an hour from us and we regularly visit the place.

We also like Osuna.

Can I suggest that Beni or Lavanda start a separate thread on this as it may throw up some gems. The large tourist places are well documented.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 am

Great idea Olive, I've started a new thread under the correct heading..

Perhaps you could add a few tips about visiting Osuna, we've visited a few times , but not had a really good look at the place.

Regards,
Gordon

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Are you writing a guide book Beni?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:16 pm

''Are you writing a guide book Beni?''.....Barry asked.

No at present I'm working on a book about the Spanish Civil War, but I have previously assisted someone writing guide books, but not Spain.
I've always been interested in visiting ancient and historic sites, so atmospheric...well to me ... :oops:

I think more people are now interested in visiting places that at least have either historical or entertainment value, including places like a donkey sanctuary etc.

Anyway everyone please add a little to the new thread, I'm sure that everyone will be interested.

Regards,
Gordon

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

There was an old relic in Frigiliana in May, but my mother-in-law has returned to the UK.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm

What a confusing thread :crazy: from can you manage on £100 pw to sponging, moderating (or not), Who is leaving the forum, writing books, where to visit, and have you had a good weekend :lol: Really helpful to the guests who come on thinking of making the move with their hundred quid :silent:

I did have a good weekend thank you, a wedding in Marbella and a golf party. However I came on to make a comment about can you live on a pittance...er basic pension. So, as Sid said lets get back on topic.

So, is anyone, hand on heart surviving on a basic pension...without any back-up savings to dip into? Remembering previous posts it doesn't seem like it

At the risk of offending the wolves in sheeps clothing I doubt many of the posters on this thread are living on a single basic pension. Maybe 2 pensions which brings it to £200 and 2 can live as cheaply as one. Nearly everyone seems to run a car which would be clearly impossible on about €120 per week. I know poor is the new rich on here but own up like Irene…you have a pot to pee in!!

No names but one poster claims to be living a frugal life on a basic pension but should remember what they have said in previous posts
“I pay my income tax in the UK” …what on £100!!

“I have 2 bank accounts in the UK and one in Spain” Likewise

and the real give away…”I am an ex- teacher ” :?

Talk of buying gym equipment!! Asking for Info about buying a hot tub. Some of you claim to do frequent trips out in Spain, member of a health club so there are a lot of contradictions around the forum.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 pm

OK, I see your point, but if someone could survive on a basic pension in the UK why wouldn't they be able to do the same in Spain?
As long as the rest of the conditions, owning their own house etc, were the same.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

In the UK no one gets the basic pension - there are various topups which pensioners in Spain do not get.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm

katy wrote: Talk of buying gym equipment!! Asking for Info about buying a hot tub. Some of you claim to do frequent trips out in Spain, member of a health club so there are a lot of contradictions around the forum.
I believe it was I who referred to being a member of a health club (I haven't seen any other such references recently). Since I have taken no previous part in this thread, being neither an OAP nor surviving in Spain on a basic pension, may I ask why you felt the necessity to use that reference? It has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.