Moving to Andalucia next Feb

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
alandliz
Tourist

Moving to Andalucia next Feb

Postby alandliz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am

Hi, We want to move to Andalucia Feb 2014 and would rather learn from your collective experiences than make too many mistakes ourselves. We want to rent long term and need to know any pitfalls. We hope that detached with 2 beds and a private pool is not outside our budget and are any unfurnished rentals available. When we say long term, we mean the rest of our lives [though not necessarily in the same property]. Is anything about what we want a non-starter? Thanks in advance.

carrowcrin
Resident

Re: Moving to Andalucia next Feb

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Firstly you will need to give the forum some idea of where it is you have in mind as regard location. if i was moving at the moment i think i would rent for three month as getting the location is very important. There are loads of properties available for rent and this is unlikely to change anytime soon but if your looking for house with pool i am expecting the owners will want a bit of a deposit and would not be interested in short term rental.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

alandliz wrote:Hi, We want to move to Andalucia Feb 2014 and would rather learn from your collective experiences than make too many mistakes ourselves. We want to rent long term and need to know any pitfalls.
Well, the biggest "pitfall" for your situation is that the spanish economy might recover and proeprty prices / rental rates would soar. While prices could well look attractive now, remember that this is pretty much the bottom of the market and there is more chance that future prices will rise - over (say) the next 10-20 years than decline further. How would you deal with that?

Oh yes: the other pitfall is that the spanish government (whichever flavour, they all seem to be as bad as each other) pass more badly thought-out laws that hit ex-pats badly: either by design or by accident. Although it's impossible to predict exactly what; they seem to have a long, if not distinguished, history of enacting some mind-bogglingly stupid laws.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:12 pm

If you have not already done it, assuming you will want to be resident, then the first thing you need to do I make sure you can fulfil the criteria for that. Then you need to make sure you fully understand Spain is no picnic for many given the dire straights the country is in. Vast numbers of unemployed, no benefits system unless you have paid into it and then it is limited. The costs if you want to be self employed, taxes paid on nigh on everything. The sun has not shone at all today here, heavy persistent rain with high winds and storms forecast :-)

I wish you luck with your plans, I like living here well about 95% of the time.

https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:33 am

Learn Spanish. Practice patience. Be prepared to relax totally and just not get stressed by anything. Whatever and wherever you rent, get a contract. Keep things legal. Enjoy living in Spain. :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:59 am

Lavanda's advice is absolutely spot on. If you are prone to stressing and worrying (as I am) then settling in Spain will be a challenge. It is a wonderful place though ........so if you haven't got a laid back, easy-going disposition, try to develop one - it will help :D Luckily, my OH is so laid back,he's practically horizontal. He needs to be, for both of us :thumbup:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Make sure if you are renting and moving around that you have a decent nest egg for landlords that may keep your deposit for at least a month after you have moved out to make sure all bills are upto date.

I've also heard that there are a few that won't return the deposit even if all is ok as they will try to make up a few repairs that need doing.

I'm sure there's a few horror stories ready to be told by current renters.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

alandliz
Tourist

Postby alandliz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks to you all for that. We have holidayed in the Frij/Nerja region and thought that would be a good place as an initial base for 6 months whilst we look around. Do any of you know some one who might want to rent out their property then?

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi, I do know someone who is looking to rent out there property. although it is near Lake vinuela over looking the lake. The house is beautiful she is looking for 600 per month but told us she would take 500, it has a private pool she is moving to madrid so the property would be long term.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 pm

& if you need an S1 based on national insurance contributions make sure you obtain it as they are stopping them as from march 2014.
Todos somos Lorca.

alandliz
Tourist

Postby alandliz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

gus-lopez wrote:& if you need an S1 based on national insurance contributions make sure you obtain it as they are stopping them as from march 2014.
Thanks for that Gus but it went straight over my head. Can you tell me more please?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 pm

if you are under retiring age you can obtain an S1 form which will allow you to sign on to the healthcare system in spain for the period of the form. It is based on previous national insurance contributions & , depending on when you stop work7request it , can cover you upp to a maximum of 2 years & 6 months.
they are proposing stopping it as from March 2014. The arguement is that it is over & above what the law requires, which is nothing lol, & no other country provides the same.

if you are over retiring age & in receipt of a state pension then you need to obtain an S1 ( yes , they have the same number ) for reciprocal healthcare from the spanish system.
Todos somos Lorca.

alandliz
Tourist

Postby alandliz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 am

gus-lopez wrote:if you are under retiring age you can obtain an S1 form which will allow you to sign on to the healthcare system in spain for the period of the form. It is based on previous national insurance contributions & , depending on when you stop work7request it , can cover you upp to a maximum of 2 years & 6 months.
they are proposing stopping it as from March 2014. The arguement is that it is over & above what the law requires, which is nothing lol, & no other country provides the same.

if you are over retiring age & in receipt of a state pension then you need to obtain an S1 ( yes , they have the same number ) for reciprocal healthcare from the spanish system.
Thanks for that, Gus, it is extremely helpful as I was under the impression that I would need private medical insurance. I will be 64 when we move so that will cover me until I reach retirement age. My wife is younger than me but I understand that if I get the [post retirement] S1 then she is also covered as a dependent. I hope I am right in that at least?

alandliz
Tourist

Postby alandliz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Thank you all for your help. The next thing is that we want a long term/permanent rental, unfurnished or partly furnished. We have a fairly large dog [Rhodesian Ridgeback]. Do any of you know someone who wants/needs to leave? What other ways are there to find accommodation without incurring large fees/commissions? Again thanks for previous help.

Krystal59

Re: Moving to Alhaurin el Grande In May

Postby Krystal59 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm

i am also moving next year, our plan is that we are coming over last 2 weeks in March, to find a property to rent in or around alhaurin el grande, then move out beginning of May, can we leave getting NIE, bank acounts, residency etc, till we actually move, or do I have to do something in March Also I have read, that it is a nightmare to get your car registered etc and that driving a RHD in Spain is dangerous, so don't know what to do about that one, but we are still bringing the motorbike and trike, is going to be expensive re registering theses, as I presume they all have to go on Spanish plates. Would be grateful for any advice

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Krystal59,
Welcome to The Forum................ :D

Try driving a LH drive car when you come out in March.......see how you get on.

RH drive cars are ok as the traffic density is lower than UK.

A Gestor will get your UK car, bike, trike :?: onto Spanish plates.......you may have to sort out the lights, front and rear.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Krystal59

Postby Krystal59 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you Enrique, may buy a car out there, but we certainly couldn't do that with the bike and trike lol a lot of work has gone into both of them, what time frame are we looking at, doing the change over to Spanish plates ?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:03 pm

alandliz wrote:Thank you all for your help. The next thing is that we want a long term/permanent rental, unfurnished or partly furnished. We have a fairly large dog [Rhodesian Ridgeback]. Do any of you know someone who wants/needs to leave? What other ways are there to find accommodation without incurring large fees/commissions? Again thanks for previous help.
Go to Frigiliana and sit in a bar and mention you are looking for someplace to rent. You'll be inundated with offers.
Dave

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Not sure if you will be able to re register the trike as is may not conform with Spanish rules as I assume its a kit. You may have to leave that one on UK plates.

Krystal59

Postby Krystal59 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 pm

No it's not a kit costakid, still has all original features to the bike and has gone through extensive testing over here, will have to try and find a club near alhaurin el grande, as I know there are a few trikes around over there, thank you for your help