Family with 2 small kids searching new life in Andalucia

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
PC1005
Tourist

Family with 2 small kids searching new life in Andalucia

Postby PC1005 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi, can you please help us with your insites? We are family of 4 with 2 kids age 4 and 6 currently living in Netherlands, planning our permanent move to Spain, Andalucia. Our first step was to look for international school - BIC in Benalmadena looks good. Can you give any references? Ultimately we want to live close to school ( preferably walking or biking distance), but isn't this area toooo touristy for locals? And we would like to become part of international community-making it our new home with new friends. Would this area fit?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Family with 2 small kids searching new life in Andalucia

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 am

I will get shouted at for being negative, BUT have you thought:
You would be moving from an economy which seems to be working, to one which is still heading downhill, so how would you earn a living?
If you are unable to secure employment, how would you get health cover?
With unemployment of young people at over 50% and as yet no sign of improvement what future would there be for your children in this country?

This is a good country for people of independent means, without young children (i.e. pensioners) to retire to but could be a very bad place for anyone else.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Have a look at Mayfair Academy which is near San Pedro.

There is also an excellent Spanish Private school in Estepona called Colegio San Jose. My neighbour's little girl goes there. It is in the town. Your children are young enough to learn Spanish really quickly, and if you are going to make your home here you should all speak Spanish.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm

There are some international schools east of Malaga in the El Palo area. Very cosmopolitan along this part of the coast. Benalmadena can be a bit brits abroad. I think there are better areas for you.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm

costakid wrote: "Benalmadena can be a bit brits abroad".
Understatement of the year...our favourite holiday place before we came to live here, once we had learnt where to avoid tattooed drunks with foul tongues.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:24 pm

From what I hear they are all up your way now Peter :D

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:08 pm

What do you mean??!! Oi!! mind wot yous doing with that f%^**&%$ing needle!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:36 pm

We took a trip to Comares today! It's absolutely lovely although a bit of a challenge to get there for our car in places. You weren't one of the people in the bar by the Molino De Los Abuelos restaurant were you, Peter? Lol!

PC1005, welcome to the forum - there are so many nice places to live in this area. We like our pueblo, very Spanish but plenty of extranjeros mainly in the campo. I am not in your age group so will leave it to others to advise you about places with good schools. Enjoy your search. :thumbup:

PC1005
Tourist

Postby PC1005 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:56 am

Thank you all for very interesting, although discouraging replies. Seems that Benalmadena doesnt have very good reputation amongs residents. Does anyone have any references about international school there? Another option we were looking at was Mijos - still reasonable distance to the school and further from the turists? Is this a place with international community where we could fit in and find new friends we can relate to? Or any other recommendation where to find it? Thanks for the tip for the east part of Malaga (El Palo) we will look into it! Is El Palo better than Benalmadena - for international community and place to live?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am

If you go further east, you'll find Almuñecar International School.
http://www.almunecarinternationalschool.org/
Dave

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Its in a different class to be honest. I am not knocking Benalmadena and the likes but you would not want to live there.

PC1005
Tourist

Postby PC1005 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 am

What about Estapona or San Pedro.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 am

PC1005 wrote:What about Estapona or San Pedro.
Estepona and San Pedro are both still quite Spanish and very nice. San Pedro area has one or two what you call "International Schools" (expensive ex pat establishments). One of them is at KM 167 just up the road a little from the Bena Vista commercial center and there is one around Guadalmina as well. San Pedro is really nice and friendly, property is not that expensive to rent if you go to places like "El Paraiso" etc etc. Estepona is a good town, again its friendly and has everything you need. Do you intend to work ? Let me know if I can be of more help to you.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I can recommend Estepona. We do not get the horrible tourists and it is quite Spanish and a true working town. Moreover it is very safe. I have been here years and have never had any problems other than someone making away with my Carrefour trolley inside the store for the euro.
As I said earlier there are some private schools and the Spanish one in town, Colegio San Jose, is very good. The other 'International' schools generally have buses that pick up pupils in the morning and bring them back later. I know at San Jose that the school day is until 5pm or so, useful if you want to work. There is a new devlopment which is going to include a skating rink and other amenities and the town is having a makeover in other areas. The old part of the town has been truly beautified with pots of flowers and beautifully laid old streets. The puerto (marina) has a great selection of restaurants and a fully working fishing fleet as well as the yacht marina. Beach all along the front of town and also a cove which is ideal for young children.
Worth a look maybe.

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

I don't quite agree with all the negative remarks on Benalmádena. Benalmádena Costa is the tourist and brit bar area, and unfortunately not too well kept, but Arroyo de la Miel and the Pueblo are very good options. It is an excellent area to live with a family. Excellent sports facilities for all ages and many sports classes for children in the local polideportivos (sport centres), one of the best ways to mix with the locals. All type of sports day events are celebrated: bike day, skating in the streets, .. There's also a heated pool, ice rink. Parque de la Paloma is great for walks with your children.
It is perfectly situated for the airport and shopping in Myramar or Plaza Mayor.
Unfortunately I can't help you out with the school, as my children are in public education in Benalmádena. There is another private school option, in the same area: Torrequebrada, a Spanish bilingual school: http://www.colegiotorrequebrada.com/. The other schools in this area are The British College in Benalmádena and Sunny View in Torremolinos.
You enquire about biking to school, that seems a little difficult, in general Benalmádena is very hilly and not the best town for biking.
I don't think it's worth living in Mijas and come so far to school every day. Both schools are situated in Torrequebrada, the area inmediately around the school is too built up, but 5 mins away you are finding quieter urbanisations.
Best of luck in your new adventure!

PC1005
Tourist

Postby PC1005 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Thank you so much!!! It sounds promising.. Estepona was the first place we actually considered - till we got in touch with some real estate agencies, from which we understood it was a "ghosts town" - a lot of properties, but nobody living there. We are really looking for place with an international community we can become the part off. We are thinking about starting (or buying) a business we can run there or from there. The less than hour access to airport is crucial.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 pm

I do not know who told you it was a ghost town but it is not true. I have lived here 13 years and had property here for 25. There is a very international community and Estepona has over 50,000 inhabitants. There are urbanisations in the country not lived in as all over Spain but the town is thriving. And spending money on great new projects. It is about 1 hour to the airport, and that is me not a fast driver. From here you also have access to communities in Manilva, Casares as well as Marbella and San Pedro. Recently there have been two major hospital/clinic groups that have installed new facilities in the town. The state health clinic is excellent with quick service. The agents were incorrect and do not understand their motive for lying to you.

caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caboodles » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi, we took a complete punt and came here 18 months ago, our children were 6 and 8 at the time. We literally looked on the web and found a place which looked nice, wasn't too touristy, close to Malaga airport and railway and activities for the children. We haven't once regretted our decision. We are still renting as we are finding it difficult to find our perfect home, but I'd recommend living here. Where we are in Alora it is mainly Spanish, but we have German, Dutch, Russian as well as Scottish and some English friends. Our children have been immersed into Spanish life and are now fluent and we are getting by slowly but surely! I would hate to live in Benalmadena or anywhere along the coast as it is so over populated with Brits. But here in the Campo life is great! If you need any more info please get in touch with me.

PC1005
Tourist

Postby PC1005 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 am

Hi, thank you - I was trying to see where Campo is - but didn't find it on map ( I found Alora) . Do your kids go to Spanish school? We found quite some International schools around Malaga, which we thought would be easier for them, so we are starting our search for place to live around those areas. About Benalmadena - we look in areas of Pueblo or Mijas, hoping that would be further away from tourists. And for you - was it difficult to find work where you live? I have so many questions - about the kids, education, etc. It would be great if I can get in contact with you - any suggestions? Thanks!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:52 am

PC1005 wrote: - I was trying to see where Campo is -
Campo is all over Spain.
It's the countryside. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris