Isolated and Remote.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Isolated and Remote.

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Isolated and Remote are two words that instantly put me off reading a Spanish property description.
Only 5 or 10 minutes away from a lively village, or it is only a 'short' drive to the nearest bar / shop also sound alarm bells in my head.
As far as I'm concerned if we can't set off walking from our front door and arrive at a bar/shop and other amenities within 5 minutes , then I wouldn't be interested in living there.
Of course I love the countryside and enjoy walking and visiting, but there is no way I would wish to live there, and I really think that anyone who is contemplating actually buying such a property should really think twice, and if possible try renting such a place for 6 months, then decide.
I do understand that some people really love living in isolation and having lots of land around them, maybe farming or with livestock, but for the majority of expats I genuinely think that it is a big mistake.
And I know for a fact that many forum members wish that they had chosen differently, and many have been quite honest and stated so .
I have numerous Spanish friends who have country property, but they do not live in them permanently, they do enjoy spending weekends or the day there with their family and friends, but that is it.
I really appreciate why a retired couple or even a younger couple with small children would be attracted to a 'campo' house and it could appear fine in their current situation, but what would happen if one partner suddenly dies or there is a breakdown in marriage/ partnership ...I have observed this many times during my time in Spain,and it can be a dreadful situation.
So OK I'm possibly going to upset some campo dwellers by stating my opinions and I do apologise for this, but it really is based on my observations of actual and real situations that I've witnessed.

I am aware that there are now many prospective newcomers to Spain and I am only trying to highlight the problems and hope that they do find the right home and enjoy life in Spain as we have .
We first moved to Spain on a permanent basis in 1989 and have lived and worked in several areas and occupied different types of housing and we feel our present house , based on what we wanted to spend etc., is as near as we could get to our perfect choice.There are of course a few things we would like to change or alter, but generally we are very happy with our present situation.
We have a fairly large modern town house in a 'big' village with all amenities and can get to our nearest city within 10 minutes by car or bus.
If we can be of assistance to anyone with advice, then please feel free to ask by replying or by PM.

My apologies to anyone who is at present trying to sell their campo property.

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Isolated and Remote.

Postby katy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Absolutely agree Gordon. It is so easy to get carried away with the beauty of places without thinking practically. The thought of getting older and needing hospital treatment or not being able to drive anymore etc.

We almost fell into the honey trap. Actually shook hands on a place with the intention of starting the process next morning. I had a wake up at 4am and got cold feet and felt a bit embarrassed calling them the next day to call it off :oops: We did eventually buy a Cortijo, it was lovely and walking distance to a hamlet. Found out it wasn't for us, noise carries and it can be quite noisy out there, barking dogs, bikes on campo tracks etc. luckily it was boom time and we sold quickly.

I think they could be fine for people as a second home eg. Londoners wanting an escape from busy lives. I still remember my Spanish grandfathers words....we were walking through the countryside close to Ronda and came upon an incredible spot. I said wouldn't it be great to have a weekend place here and he said "As long as that" :lol:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

I am soooo glad to read this post. It is getting more and more peaceful out here...the Brits have left, the Spanish don't party every weekend. It is purrrrfect! ...oh, and: The swallows will arrive back in two weeks time...just us and them :shh:

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 pm

It's a very personal choice. For us, places like Competa and Nerja are out: too urban, too many tourists, and certainly too many Brits! Not what we moved to Spain for. Like Brighton, these two popular spots are, for us, nice to visit and have access to, but not the place to live.

The sheer quietness here is just stunning, especially at night, and takes visitors by complete surprise. By day, there's a little traffic, the chug of of the odd cement mixer, and plenty of birdsong. Great stuff!
Chris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 pm

I have met quite a few people who have bought an idyllic place in the middle of nowhere in France. They found it was great for high days and holidays sipping the obligatory glass of wine with friends and family on a summer's but when they retired there they found there was nothing to do most of the year, everything shut and very inclement weather a lot of the time. The friends and family dry up except Xmas and summer. Some people I knew who lived in the Limoges area said they had visitors one autumn and they could not find a restaurant open after 8.30 on a Saturday for miles.
I think, although I do not live in the countryside, that Spain is a bit different as mostly the weather is better and my limited experience of inland (from here) things seem to be open all year, maybe barring one month sometimes. I am sure someone will say differently but I can only speak from my experience.

I think the idea of living somewhere remote may often be better than the experience itself. One hears of boundary and neighbour problems in the country. To me, one of the most important things is learning the language otherwise the Spanish ideas about Brits are just perpetuated.

So, if you like isolated, good luck to you, but as a previous poster said, rent first.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:48 pm

I don't know whether you would call where we are proper campo. We're only 20 minutes from Torre del Mar, and have 1km of proper track to drive before we get to the concrete/tarmac. When we needed an ambulance, it arrived in 30 minutes, which, considering that the drive to the HC it came from is 20 minutes, was quite impressive. We can't walk to either a shop or bar but when we lived in UK we couldn't either, so it's no big difference for us. We've got spectacular views, but having lived here for almost 8 years, there are some days when I can honestly say I haven't looked at them! (Shame on me). But I agree with the other posters - we have both said we couldn't live here alone, when something happens to one of us. We have several friends who have moved from the campo to town, but I couldn't live in close proximity to lots of Spaniards (or Brits either come to that). I know my ideal house. It's in the row opposite the BMW dealer in Velez Malaga - just behind the new employment office they have built. It's on the edge of town, but walkable, not too many neighbours, and although I haven't been inside, the houses look a decent size and relatively modern.
The one thing we absolutely hate about living here is the wind. In winter it can be incessant, and drives us mad. We can live with the dogs - at least the Spanish ones are all enclosed.
AlisonB

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Well like I explained earlier, I live in a town house in a big village, so is it noisy ?....No.

In fact it is quite peaceful with just about enough noise to stop me from pinching myself to see if I am still alive.
And in the morning I'm usually already awake when I hear the sound of the Singing Chicken who resides nearby, and then I lay in bed listening to my 2 White Pigeons cooing contentedly.
I acquired the 2 pigeons when old Fernando asked me if I liked Beautiful Birds and of course I excitedly said Yes...Pity they are the wrong species, but I do like them.

And sometimes I can hear old Donkey Oatey braying, I like that sound as it reminds me of the donkeys on Scarborough beach.
Then there is the neighing from Everard the large horse who spends quite a bit of time tethered in a field near us.

Also until recently Ofenbach , the old Alsation opposite,would bark a bit too much , but he passed away and is now in Doggie Heaven, but I actually miss him.

Then Postman Paco will sometimes whistle as he does his daily rounds and Old Man Quadger will rev his engine as he passes on his Quad bike.
And a couple of times a week a van with a Tannoy will back down our cul de sac and a droning woman's voice will announce something that sounds like 'Bring out your Dead', actually I think she trying to sell furniture.
Of course then there is the Fiestas , quite noisy, but it's usually me and the Missus making most of the noise . :oops:
So really I think that we have a great house in a great place with all we need without having to get the car out.

Regards,
Gordon...Now so 'laid back' that I often fall over...But that might be from the effects of the vino.!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Each to their own Gordon, and I'm glad you have such a quiet place to live. Not every Spanish village and hamlet are like that! We are campo people and love the pitch black nights and peace (most of the time anyway). We have lived way up in the hills for a time and we got used to making sure we didn't need to pop out for anything, but are now much closer to a village which is only 5 mins drive away. I don't really like living that close to people. Apart from their noise, it means that we can have our music full blast if we fancy without disturbing anyone.That may change in time, but we wouldn't be anywhere else for the moment.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 pm

The first night living here I thought I would never ever sleep again- chickens, dogs and peacocks :shock: Now I do not hear them. I love the dark nights- to me nothing worse than a street light keeping me awake! When I stayed at a friends house back in the UK I was woken at 3am by the doves cooing in the trees :shock: I was glad to get home to the quiet campo dogs, hens and peacocks :lolno:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:18 pm

I think it is possible to have the best of both if chosen carefully. Our villa in Marbella was about 7 mins from the centre. the bottom of the garden led to open countryside as far as you could see with no houses in sight. A glorious back drop of the Sierras too. However, we did have other villas at each side but well spaced. We could also walk to beach by the side of a stream in 15 mins. The CDS hospital was only a 5 minute drive too. Did hear Cockrels acoss the valley but I got used to them and actually liked them if I woke up during the night.

Likewise here, a private lane with about 12 houses, garden opens into a wood. Walk to a charming pub/restaurant. Need a torch as there isn't a street light around. Shop/Post Office is a pleasant walk up the Lane and is a Nisa which has deals of the month. Full size Baileys for £8 at Xmas, cheaper than the Supers. January was Teachers whisky for £10. Hospital is a long way but you can't have it all :D

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Personally we love living with no neighbours, fabulous views, quiet, no dogs howling(though they do visit from time to time to kill our chickens) no chairs scraping on marble floors five stories higher etc etc.

There will come a time with older age where we will have to move . that will be a problem as selling even in five,ten years time will still be a problem. I am hoping to have lost most of my hearing by then and found a quiet town house on a golf complex near doctors,hospitals, shops and doctors.

The only downside is poor Internet compared to cabled areas.

When I go back to the UK (as infrequently as i can get away with), I am always shocked at how hemmed in everyone is.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

If you think that's hemmed in you should see Calahonda..or perhaps not :lolno:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:20 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:It's a very personal choice. For us, places like Competa and Nerja are out: too urban, too many tourists, and certainly too many Brits! Not what we moved to Spain for. Like Brighton, these two popular spots are, for us, nice to visit and have access to, but not the place to live.

The sheer quietness here is just stunning, especially at night, and takes visitors by complete surprise. By day, there's a little traffic, the chug of of the odd cement mixer, and plenty of birdsong. Great stuff!
Hav to agree here. We are way more than 5 minutes walk from our village, 30 mins if we are feeling energetic 45 if not but there is no way that we could be considered isolated or remote.. Far enough away, but close enough when we want village facilities (read bars) Absoultely love it in the Sayalonga campo, lovely village, great location and great friends. Right now can't think of anywhere else in the world that I'd rather be living.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Gordon
Whilst I can see your point about not wanting to be isolated or remote due to the fact that, one day, you might not be able to drive I believe in living for today.
My wife and I have discussed that one day, when we can't drive, we might need to move, but for now, whilst we still have our faculties, we are happy where we are.
We don't believe in not starting something now because in a few years time we might not be able to do it. That is the reason for doing something now before it is to late.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for all your responses so far.. :thumbup:

And I knew that you would give good common sense and interesting replies which will I'm sure, be of great assistance to the many newcomers who are now planning their move to Sunny Spain ...but not today, it's raining cold and miserable. :)
It really is down to personal choice, but I do know that campo living isn't for everyone, and anyone who hasn't experienced it before should really consider all of the options first.

I suppose the selection of our present house was based on the fact that we have lived in Spain a long time and we really have done what most members have indicated that they will probably do in the future.
We really do have the type of house we wanted and in the right location for us, and we have the' best of both worlds' as our street is the last in the village and from our lounge we have wonderful views of fields and hills rising to mountains and of course millions of olive trees !
We did go through a very unsettled period due to family illness/loss, but now we feel very settled and for the moment we intend to make the most of our time here.
Anyway I'm really pleased that so many members are enjoying their life in Spain, and as I've said before making the most of what they have.

I hope that more members will add their thoughts ....

Regards,
Gordon.
ps...Gerry, I thought that you lived in a second floor cave apartment... :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:26 pm

katy wrote:If you think that's hemmed in you should see Calahonda..or perhaps not :lolno:
Agree . Whilst the occasional trip to the built up coast are nice , it is always without exception better to be back home.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:12 am

Well ..not much input from 'The Village People', I'm beginning to think that this forum is frequented by just 'Campo Dwellers'.

I do realise that most people can adapt to living in different environments, like myself, I am a 'seaside person', born and lived most of my life at the seaside.
And now I'm living inland ,almost a 'campo person', but with all amenities close by, but it did take awhile for me to settle.
Yes, sometimes I do miss the buzz of the seaside, but if I need a 'seaside fix' I just go and spend a day down at the coast, and then I'm really glad to get home.!

However I still think that newcomers should really be careful that they don't make any moves until they are completely satisfied that they will be able to adjust to living in a remote location etc.

Regards,
Gordon. :wave:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm not a Village Person, in fact we live in a very large town. I never even considered living anywhere isolated or remote, both because I am a non-driver and it would have been the height of stupidity, and because we lived in a small place in the UK where we had a 7 mile journey to any decent shops, even a proper supermarket, and roads that were sometimes blocked in the winter, and had no wish to replicate that here.

We live in the old part of town, and in our particular bit there is no access for vehicles except for motos, of which luckily we don't get many and those we do get can't travel fast. Our house (being a casa de dos esquinas) isn't attached, and none of the houses nearest ours are actually lived in (all owned by local Spanish families who come regularly to clean and maintain them). Considering that we are only 5 minutes' walk downhill to the town centre (10 minutes back up!) it is amazingly quiet, especially at night. Wooden shutters on the inside of the windows are very effective at blocking out streetlights, in fact we have to set the alarm if we need to get up before 9.00 am otherwise we can't tell what time it is!

We have excellent public transport connections (a bus every 15 minutes to the coast at Torre del Mar, 5km away, which also calls at the regional hospital, a half hourly bus service to Malaga, plus buses to Nerja, Torrox, a variety of inland villages, a daily service to Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla - the Granada one is great, a nice scenic route, tried the Cordoba one once and never again, it took hours!).

For us, it's a best of both worlds location. We will, we know, have to think about moving in a few years' time in case we should develop any mobility problems in later life, but I'll be loath to leave.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:08 pm

F@L, we have Spanish friends who live very close to you and I love that part of town, In fact I think Velez is superb if you are shown what's what by the Spanish. Proper Spanish town with a great atmosphere.

Also great point that I and nobody else I can remember ever posting about..............shutters!!

Love them too, in England I'm a 6.30 am'er...............in Spain I'm out until the shutters open.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:F@L, we have Spanish friends who live very close to you and I love that part of town, In fact I think Velez is superb if you are shown what's what by the Spanish. Proper Spanish town with a great atmosphere.
That's what we like about it. We'd holidayed in Nerja so many times and never even knew Velez existed (!)
then when we started looking for a house I read an article in a magazine about it, we came one day for a look around and had been here all of 20 minutes before we decided it was where we wanted to be.