Is private health insurance compulsary

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is private health insurance compulsary

Postby katy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Not just pensioners. I meet up weekly with a few women who I was friendly with in Spain. 3 are in their fifties and none had a problem registering at a Doctors. Doesn't have to be a Utility bill, can be a bank letter or anything official (ish) Proof of address is not just for expats, one reason is because drug addicts used to register at multiple surgeries (according to the receptionist)

Cuevan
Tourist

Postby Cuevan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:07 pm

2 weeks ago I returned to the UK.....I DO HAVE A PROPERTY THERE.....but have lived in Spain for 10 years and rented out my UK property, I am not of state pension age in the UK.

I went to the local Dr's surgery to register. They gave me a form to fill in and asked for ID, I gave them my passport. They also asked for a utility bill but I explained that I don't receive utility bills I access all my utility accounts via the Internet. "don't bother about it, that's fine" said the receptionist.

Hey preston I was registered, my medical card arrived 5 days later and i returned to Spain the day after that.

I should add that I do not and never have worked in Spain, nor am I self employed. I do however pay taxes in Spain and I am fiscally resident here too. I also have a permanent residency certificate and a "green" Andalcia health card.

So, I can say categorically thet all this 6 months residency in the UK nonsense......is exactly that....NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Public sector workers do pay their contributions the same as most and quite often are on lower wages than private sector workers, so in that case elusive I think it shouldn't really matter, the thing that does matter I have mentioned above.
no offence ment but the inequality in the uk between pensions between the state and public sector is a bug bear of mine. how some can or did considering how things are changing pay into the system and retire after working for thirty years on final salary pensions while others are working and paying in for nearer 50 years.(its not as if they can stop paying N.I) and then retire on a poxy state pension and more than likely not live much longer to enjoy it sums up the uk to me.

sorry im going off topic here

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 pm

no offence ment but the inequality in the uk between pensions between the state and public sector is a bug bear of mine. how some can or did considering how things are changing pay into the system and retire after working for thirty years on final salary pensions while others are working and paying in for nearer 50 years.(its not as if they can stop paying N.I) and then retire on a poxy state pension and more than likely not live much longer to enjoy it sums up the uk to me.
After working for over 20 years in the public sector I receive a pension of just over £200 per month.Hardly the "Gold Plated" pension that you assume the public sector retirees receive.

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:09 pm

You may be suprised to know that the helth scam is a two way train
Two spanish ladies i work with here in London quite rightly have access to their own registered GP for day to day health problems,however for any treatment that needs hospitalisation they return to mainland Spain as they dont trust our NHS hospitals in the capital!!!!
Dying to move to spain

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:10 pm

katy wrote:Not just pensioners. I meet up weekly with a few women who I was friendly with in Spain. 3 are in their fifties and none had a problem registering at a Doctors. Doesn't have to be a Utility bill, can be a bank letter or anything official (ish) Proof of address is not just for expats, one reason is because drug addicts used to register at multiple surgeries (according to the receptionist)

I am sure you are right Katy, the experience of others, fully explained on many forums, supports this.

However the rules say that you must be ordinarily resident in the UK. Clearly the local doctors have a fairly laid back attitude to the proof of residency compared to what a government department might require. It is a well know fact that even hospitals are reluctant to challenge health tourists as they say that is not their job and I see their point of view.

From what I have read, if I were returning permanently to the UK, I would have very few concerns about getting proper treatment, even if I was not a pensioner.

Just as in Spain, there is always a big difference between what the rules say and what is accepted.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Cuevan wrote:2 weeks ago I returned to the UK.....I DO HAVE A PROPERTY THERE.....but have lived in Spain for 10 years and rented out my UK property, I am not of state pension age in the UK.

I went to the local Dr's surgery to register. They gave me a form to fill in and asked for ID, I gave them my passport. They also asked for a utility bill but I explained that I don't receive utility bills I access all my utility accounts via the Internet. "don't bother about it, that's fine" said the receptionist.

Hey preston I was registered, my medical card arrived 5 days later and i returned to Spain the day after that.

I should add that I do not and never have worked in Spain, nor am I self employed. I do however pay taxes in Spain and I am fiscally resident here too. I also have a permanent residency certificate and a "green" Andalcia health card.

So, I can say categorically thet all this 6 months residency in the UK nonsense......is exactly that....NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!
No, what you have actually done is apply for health care illegally in the UK. You have commited fraud. You have no entitlement to it nor does anyone owning a home in the UK ,paying council tax, income tax , national insurance , vat , etc ; etc; give you any right whatsoever.
Only Living/working there gives you the right.
As an aside ,legally, anyone 'wintering ' out of the UK for more than 6 months, motorhomers etc; forfeits the right & should notify dhss when leaving & re-register when returning.

All this does " I do however pay taxes in Spain and I am fiscally resident here too. I also have a permanent residency certificate and a "green" Andalcia health card." is show that A) you are completely ignorant of the laws or B ) completely stupid or C) a complete half-wit.

If you consider that I am being a tad harsh , try printing off your post/emailing & actually asking
the nhs helpline; DSS; Overseas benefit team whether you have entitlement. In fact just run it by the Doctors surgery . :lol: The answer will be a resounding no.
If you had told the surgery
" I do however pay taxes in Spain and I am fiscally resident there too. I also have a permanent residency certificate and a "green" Andalcia health card." , they wouldn't have signed you on.
The main point that you appear to have completely missed is that under EU rules you can have health care in only 1 state. This is taking into account that UK pensioners are actually entitled to Healthcare in country of residence & the UK by way of how the EHIC is interpreted in the UK. Mostly this is not a problem but occasionally it is. An old boy I know whose wife was taken ill in the UK & operated on f,ound a letter waiting when she returned here removing her from the health list. He had the same happen to him the year before & no problem.When I was asking him about it last week He said that he's tried getting her back on but to no avail. He won't let me assist even offered at the outset.

I'd be concerned now that the UK will notify the Spanish that you are registered in the UK especially as the UK would have known by virtue of your 'Fiscal residency'.

Link on which state provides your healthcare. Note; not how many :lol:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm
Todos somos Lorca.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Interesting post, Gus. The whole thing is a fraudulent mess and not only are patients or would-be patients to blame. When I left the UK I told my GP I was going to Spain and would not be back. He told me he would keep me on his list "just in case". Of course he gets paid per person on his list, I suppose.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 pm

This article states the position for those returning from living abroad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... Spain.html

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Although I'm not sure if this is still up to date, as the pages last reviewed in 2013 and due in 2015

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1087.aspx?C ... goryID=162

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:30 pm

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/h ... rom_abroad

I don't know if this link will work but I found this on citizen advice, Its worth a read

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

jogger wrote:This article states the position for those returning from living abroad.

Jesus :roll: This is the one Lavanda posted which has already been rubbished! I am giving up the will to live :lolno:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Calm, Katy! Calm! It's obvious not everyone is as smart as you on this subject. To some of us it IS confusing and there are many conflicting views on the interpretation of some jolly flaky rules that seem to be applied ah hoc by every second person's next door neighbour's friends. Although Sid confidently posted the NHS site's speil it's still not clear about a great many people's entitlement before the hospital bit. As for Jogger posting the same link ... give her/him a break. The link Sid posted to my link doesn't work so how is Jogger supposed to know what I posted?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Lavanda wrote: The link Sid posted to my link doesn't work so how is Jogger supposed to know what I posted?
No, it doesn't work and I have no idea why - I have tried a few alternatives.

Katy, does it really matter if someone posts the same link twice?

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Yes, because it is giving out incorrect information. Although if the link isn't working then I take it back :oops:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Lavanda wrote:NHS rejects expats returning from Spain

By Emma Simon | Telegraph – Fri, May 16, 2014

You mean that link?

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 pm

katy wrote:
jogger wrote:This article states the position for those returning from living abroad.

Jesus :roll: This is the one Lavanda posted which has already been rubbished! I am giving up the will to live :lolno:

Ha Ha no Katy don't do that...............well if you must :wave:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 pm

This has turned silly...living in Spain for some must have become very boring.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Boring :shock: Certainly not. What gives you that idea. Anyway, you started it. :lol:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Oops i hit a nerve lol :clap: