Any potters out there?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Patricia 1of 2
Tourist

Any potters out there?

Postby Patricia 1of 2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Hello everyone.
I am hoping to move to the Andalucia Region soon as I have sold my house in the UK. So much you need to know but I have been very busy collecting information and guidance. I hope when I get there to set up a pottery studio. Are there any expat potters in the region who might be able to give me some advice?
Looking forward to hearing from you, good or bad or downright ugly!
Pat.

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: Any potters out there?

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:39 pm

As no one has replied yet........... There use to be a lady on here about 7/8 years ago, I think she was called Sharon?? She and her husband bought a large village house near Jerez and were doing some extensive renovation work and were intending on her setting up a pottery school and him fishing holidays.... possibly art teachers. This may jog someones memory if they are still around....I might even remember the village name one day :lol:

Patricia 1of 2
Tourist

Postby Patricia 1of 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:10 am

Thanks for the response. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Seems I will be going it alone. Shame I was hoping someone out there would be clued up on pottery suppliers. As I don't speak Spanish yet I thing this is going to be quite a challenge. I will not be deterred though. :P

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:08 am

Competa in the Axarquia has some potters ... http://www.competaart.com/

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 am

also just remembered Gaucin, near Ronda has a community of artists and similar ...

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 am

There is a supplier in Tomares Sevilla, near Leroy Merlin.

Patricia 1of 2
Tourist

Postby Patricia 1of 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Very grateful to you all. I am planning a trip in October just to look around the villages and towns of the Almeria province, away from the touristy areas. I want to be in a rural area when I buy. Anyone want to hook up, I will be arriving 11th October staying in Almeria for 10 days. Currently planning where to visit..

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 am

Are you a hobby potter :thumbup: or is it a business proposition :thumbdown: ?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Hello Patricia! Congratulations on selling your house and on thinking of moving to Andalucia. You do not mention whether you have an income in place and whether your pottery studio will be, as Nimrod has posted, an enjoyable hobby with, perhaps some teaching and exhibiting as a sideline. If these are your plans then it sounds really, really lovely. If you have no fixed income and hope to earn enough money from your pottery ...

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Patricia - if you are planning your lovely sounding pottery as a business then please research self employment before you commit any funds to it. I don´t want to dampen your dream but.............The structure of self employment is very different here and you have to pay a minimum sum every month (the equivalent of National insurance in the UK) of 250 euros, depending on age, there is no VAT threshold etc.....being self employed in Spain is a tough road to follow.

Patricia 1of 2
Tourist

Postby Patricia 1of 2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for the info. It gives me a lot to think about and raises some serious questions. I have income from my pensions. I will take a long look at the self employment thing and get some professional advice.

Patricia 1of 2
Tourist

Postby Patricia 1of 2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 am

Lavanda wrote:Hello Patricia! Congratulations on selling your house and on thinking of moving to Andalucia. You do not mention whether you have an income in place and whether your pottery studio will be, as Nimrod has posted, an enjoyable hobby with, perhaps some teaching and exhibiting as a sideline. If these are your plans then it sounds really, really lovely. If you have no fixed income and hope to earn enough money from your pottery ...

Thanks for the info. It gives me a lot to think about and raises some serious questions. I have income from my pensions. I will take a long look at the self employment thing and get some professional advice.