Few questions about moving to spain.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
pablosho
Tourist

Re: Few questions about moving to spain.

Postby pablosho » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Hola Beth,

I hope you are still around and not been put off. Nearly all of the advice you have received here is good but only you and your family know how much you want or need the move!

I can only offer a little advice. I have lived here 13 years (Jerez de la Frontera).
Firstly, don't even consider buying a property. Although prices are low, you need to get to know the area, get a feel if it is right for you and your children.
If you have time and can organise yourselves, why not move out in the summer (Spanish school holidays are end June to 2nd week Sept). Rental prices will be high on the coast but you could probably get something cheap for a month or two inland.
In the meantime get working on the Spanish, all of you as a family. The internet has loads of free stuff & courses http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/
Listen to Spanish music, radio, watch Spanish films with subtitles.
Your husband may not be able to get such a long time off work but if you and the kids spend a month or more integrating into Andalucia life you can get a taste if it is for you.
By that I don't mean have a long holiday and spend all day on the beach, although I am sure the kids would love that but take Spanish classes, join a summer club, investigate different areas, shop in local shops (not supermarkets, where you won't need Spanish), cost of living, etc etc

From now until then research, research & research. As well as Location, location, location, it is preparation, preparation, preparation.

As for work? It's been said; very, very difficult but not impossible. I reckon at least in summer there will be a chef needed somewhere.

The CAB website is very good but seems to be offline now but their Facebook page has lots of info https://www.facebook.com/CAB.Spain/timeline there is also a blog with free info on moving to Spain link removed

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Paul

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Hmm very comprehensive site, is it yours? A.com has a lot of competition now. :D

irishrosebud

Postby irishrosebud » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi all
I am new to the site,so please bear with me...
I am thinking of moving to spain,from Ireland
and need as much information as i can get...
ok,so firstly i want an area with a large expat
community(i don't have a word of spanish)
I have holidayed in spain many times,
Nerja,Marbella being the two places.
I will need to find work..my backround
is in the Beauty business(Beautician)
But i am willing to diversify,as i know
the work situation is bad.
I would be so grateful for your opinions
as to the best place for me to go,
to rent for a few months,while i look for work....
:) 8) :think:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 am

Why does the expression...

"From the frying pan into the fire" come to mind !

Just lie in a dark room, until the feeling goes away.

anyroads

KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KarenD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi
I live in Duquesa where there is a large ex-pat community. My hairdresser is actually looking for a beautician to join her salon. PM me if you want.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 pm

And back to the original post...

Do not do it for the kids. Life is difficult enough starting out these days. Jobs for life are long gone. Even the Spanish siesta is under threat !

Prospects are much better in the UK, in or out of "Europe".

When they are off your hands, hopefully you will have enough time to consider retirement in Spain. Something to look forward to.

All very simple, all very logical.

anyroads

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:26 pm

irishrosebud wrote:Hi all
I am new to the site,so please bear with me...
I am thinking of moving to spain,from Ireland
and need as much information as i can get...
ok,so firstly i want an area with a large expat
community(i don't have a word of spanish)
I have holidayed in spain many times,
Nerja,Marbella being the two places.
I will need to find work..my backround
is in the Beauty business(Beautician)
But i am willing to diversify,as i know
the work situation is bad.
I would be so grateful for your opinions
as to the best place for me to go,
to rent for a few months,while i look for work....
:) 8) :think:
Ok, take some advice from another Irish person . . . . Do not do it unless you have enough money to live comfortably for three months. Wages are MUCH lower in Andalucia than in Ireland. If you arrive into Malaga airport where will you spend the first week until you get a job ? You could "survive" without a word of Spanish if you had a best mate living there to help you get sorted but if you are coming "blind" (without a definate job or apartment) you are nuts. As for the best places to go . . . . there are lots of places where large numbers of ex pats live, but the residents are the worst type of people. Most are on fixed incomes or pensions and want everything cheap. They are very different from the holiday makers you are familiar with. If you want more advice PM me.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Even the Spanish are hardly spending any money yet !

I was in a bar recently watching the last 30 minutes of a European Cup game when Real Madrid were playing the German team they beat 3-2 over the two legs. During that time, I reckon I was the only one who went to the bar. There were about 25 people in the bar. At the final whistle, most people left. Five minutes after the match finished, my wife and I were the only ones left in the bar.

anyroads

jeffcaz02

Postby jeffcaz02 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Evening from the cold UK, I have to ask why your telling brits to basically not too bother if they need work??? Surely workers from the UK can make a successful happy life in Spain.? Im fully aware of the job situation, were desperate to live in Spain , after what ive just read I feel like ive been kicked in the guts. Ive done some research on renting an apartment to begin with, and my hubby wouldn't go at all unless he can secure perm work first. He too was in the Royal Navy, and has over 90 yrs of experience in this sector .. we were thinking a good chef would always be able to secure work...

It must be lovely to have big fat pensions or a property here to rent out. I NEED THIS MOVE FOR MY HEALTH, we do not have any money to live off yet, but we are expecting to bring around £2500 as well as bond money and first months rent I personally have even considered putting an ad in a Spanish / brit paper advert looking for a job catering, he would even do private catering anything to make things work. It cannot be any worse than the weather here is making my life . I joined this site in hope to find positive advice from those who have got the life we desire so badly.
I apologise if I have said a little too much but I was so angry after reading people saying don't come over here etc etc.
regards carol jeff
markwilding wrote:
flyeogh wrote:Beth first a warm welcome.

Your logic for leaving a moderately rich country which despite cuts still has good wellfare to live in a third world country (and with a spanish wife and family I couldn't be more integrated here so my classification of spain is not chosen lightly) from admittedly the minimum you have offered is fundamentally floored.

The majority of Brits who have the greatest success in Spain have their economy in the UK and rely on Spain for absolutely nothing.

But enough of that I'd suggest you consider a scenario before you jump.

First of all Spain cannot be considered as a third world country. It is a developed country. The problem is things are done differently and this can be very frustrating to us Brits.

Andalusia and southern Spain has very high levels of unemployment so it isn't the best place to survive unless you have independent financial means. It's also the first choice of destination for many foreigners so the few opportunities there might be will be sought after.

Madrid, Barcelona and The Basque Country will offer more but even then it's extremely difficult. Apart from teaching English, I know English speaking engineers are highly sought after.

The strong pound and the current low cost of the housing market should actually work in your favor. However, I agree with the general consensus that you really need to think this through and not jump into something that is full of pitfalls

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Flyeogh has in my opinion given you a balanced and honest opinion.
I assume your husband is not trained in Spanish cuisine, and in any case woukd not be able to communicate with Spanish staff for a long time, so this leaves Brit bars, most if which are run on "him bar, her kitchen" basis, and rarely have enough money to employ proper staff. If he did get a job how long woukd he be happy working very long hours in up to 50 degree temperatures, and at low pay. You do not have the money to start your own business, so that saves you losing what little money you have.
In my sincere opinion, forget it.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 pm

jeffcaz02 wrote:we were thinking a good chef would always be able to secure work..
Here is a link to the situations vacant section of the main English language free newspaper in Andalucia. As you will see, there aren't any vacancies for chefs advertised at the moment (it's right at the end of the main summer season), only a couple of part time kitchen helper vacancies which would not be paid enough to support yourselves.

http://www.myservicesdirectory.com/Cate ... ant/2.html

I am afraid what people have been saying is right - it really is difficult for people moving here from overseas to find work, particularly if they don't speak Spanish. Another complication is that a lot of jobs in the catering/hospitality sector do not offer employment contracts and you or your husband would need a legal employment contract in order to be able to register as foreign residents and have access to the Spanish health system.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Could look for a catering job in Gibraltar and you could live in Spain?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Carol,Jeff

Maybe your idea of putting an advert in a Spanish/Brit newspaper will at least allow you to monitor the response rate and possibly save you from using all your savings up if you both moved over to Spain and Jeff did not secure a job..

If you do place an advert then bear in mind that one off adverts do not work well. you would be better off negotiating a block booking, you could opt to place an advert weekly or fortnightly for a set number of weeks or months. There are good deals to be had on longer term advertising and do not be afraid to haggle...

KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KarenD » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:29 am

I was going to say the same as Pilgrim2 - why not see what catering jobs are available in Gib (there are loads od restaurants and it's British style cooking, not Spanish) and you can live in Spain. We were desperate to move to Spain but we knew we wouldn't get jobs so we both secured work in Gib and we live in Sabinillas

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Or if it is just warmer weather you want, why not investigate Italy or France or Greece....I have no idea what the employment market is like in any of them but they tick one box and the health care, exchange rates and language barriers are the same. Of course there is always Israel or Syria.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 am

The problem with work is as others say.at the mo you will be looking at brit places which most likely will be cash in hand and everywhere is low pay and long hours in terrible conditions when its 30 plus degrees.i went from freezing my bits off working in the uk to boiling ny bits off here.it makes you ill. Also speaking english is of no use unless you speak at least another two languages.the northern europeans ie swedes germans danes speak multiple lanugages fluently so will always be a head of you in the que thanks to the great uk education system. You need a contract as that will get you health care.its one thing getting a job that will pay your way its another getting one with a contract. And if by chance you get a contract then no doubt it will be illegitimate interms of what hours you are doing so no chance of a spanish pension and minimum benefits if you lose it. Best bet is gibralter but no chance of living there due to the cost of property and frankly who would want to live there it makes the uk look under populated