Who should choose the "Notaria"?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Kite29
Tourist

Who should choose the "Notaria"?

Postby Kite29 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 am

Hi, my husband and I are looking to buy a property near Granada. We have paid the deposit and and waiting for a date from the current owner to come to Spain in the next month or so to finalise the purchase.
The agent is very keen to use the notaria he knows of. We don't know any. Does it make a difference? How does the pricing of the notaria work? Would it cost us the same if we find our own? Or he could be getting some commission? We asked him how much it would cost, on two occasions, and he just says roughly and it was different response on the two occasions with difference of a few hundred. Please shed some light.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Who should choose the "Notaria"?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm

First the Notary is a public official and their fees are based on the purchase price of the property , so in practice the fees from any notary should be very similar.
However I have been aware in the past that some agents do get a 'commission' for introducing a client.
Some people are not aware what the notary does, so you will also need a solicitor or a gestor ( much cheaper ), to actually prepare the contracts.

If you are not happy then I suggest that you contact the notary asking for price , tell them that you are interested in purchasing a property xx amount and don't tell them who the agent is and then compare the price, it would be better to contact by mail/ e-mail then you have the figures in writing.
May I ask what nationality the agent is ?

I hope this helps...
Regards,
Gordon.
ps expect around 600 euros notary fees for a property of about 100,000, ...from memory...

Kite29
Tourist

Postby Kite29 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:36 pm

The agent is Spanish and the property is only 13500 euros

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 pm

There will be a fixed notary fee as the property has a low sale price, but I'm not sure what the current rate is.

The sales commission will be low for the agent so that is probably why he may be looking to improve his 'wages', I would suggest that you insist on a written statement of all fees, don't accept 'vague' verbal quotes....

Good Luck,
Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 pm

No ones going to get rich on a transaction that small!

Sid

Kite29
Tourist

Postby Kite29 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:38 pm

El Cid wrote:No ones going to get rich on a transaction that small!

Sid
Yes but when you are on an extremely tight budget saving even 100euros can matter

Kite29
Tourist

Postby Kite29 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:39 pm

BENIDORM wrote:There will be a fixed notary fee as the property has a low sale price, but I'm not sure what the current rate is.

The sales commission will be low for the agent so that is probably why he may be looking to improve his 'wages', I would suggest that you insist on a written statement of all fees, don't accept 'vague' verbal quotes....

Good Luck,
Regards,
Gordon
Good advice thank you

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:39 pm

kite29,
As long as you follow the well published procedures which are all available on this and other forums, then you shouldn't have any big problems, it's always wise though to try to keep a contingency fund for any unknown costs that might arise.
You are buying a house for a very realistic price and you could pay more for a caravan, which is more costly to run, so a wise move if you are on a strict budget.
I live in a big village in Granada and there are some very cheap properties available, some have been unlived in for many years so obviously need quite a bit of TLC and improvements, but good projects and it doesn't follow that you are buying into a depressed or poor area just because a house is cheap, for instance my neighbours house is on the market for 350,000.
May I ask the name of the village ?....PM me if you don't want it to be public.

If you need any other help please Pm me I may be able to offer advice if you need it.
Regards,
Gordon