First Post, hello to everyone, got a few questions on our move

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Trevor&Lina

First Post, hello to everyone, got a few questions on our move

Postby Trevor&Lina » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Hello,

We are planning our big move this summer, we are very excited but at the same time have lots and lots of things to think about :crazy
My husband will continue to run his own business in the UK with a little help from me as secretary, we intend to apply for the S1 / E106 form, does anyone have any knowledge of this? .
Wondering if anyone else on here has moved to Malaga with a child who has diabetes type 1, if so could you please share your experience.
Is an insulin pump and their parts funded in Spain or will we have to buy all the parts for the insulin pump from our own pocket?
Will we have to return our insulin pump which is funded by the UK back to our hospital before leaving to Spain?
At the moment our daughter gets disability allowance, is it possible to apply for this in Spain?
Would be very thankful for your responses :)

pensure1988
Resident

Re: First Post, hello to everyone, got a few questions on our move

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi Trevor & Lina

Have a look at these two links below for information on your queries.

1. Do not know if you have to return the Insulin Pump issued in the UK. Have to ask UK Health Authorities about that one.
2. Doubt very much if you will obtain any disability allowanes in Spain as an British Expat. You can try and obtain them once you are resistered for Healthcare in Spain

https://lifestylegroup.es/transition-ch ... ing-spain/

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpra ... 0/fulltext

David

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am

Re disability benefit you need to speak to the goverment overseas benefit team which i presume is still based in blackpool. (A google will bring it up) Some disability benefits can be continued to be claimed once you are living in spain some cant.so its important to find out what you can claim. I guess you need to speak to your Dr re what equipement they want back.

From reading i presume you mean your husband is staying in the U.K to work? Then the S1 you talk about is connected to him working? Or the below? If you husband is staying in the uk beaware that the spanish tax man will more than likely view him as a spanish tax resident aswell because his family etc are all based in spain. Something to look into.

You dont give your ages of yourself or your daughter.I presume you are an O.A.P if you are talking about an S1? Is your daughter an adult? This will effect you all getting residencia.if your daughter is an adult ask about whether she is entilted to an S1 aswell because of her disability.contact the overseas healthcare team in newcastle for this and to apply for your S1 if you are an O.A.P. you should do this about a month before you plan to leave.

If you havnt already .look at citizens advice bureau spain website and facebook group. Lots of helpful info.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am

I don know the value of an insulin pump but when you return it it will most likely go to a company who deep cleans it and sends it to Africa. You may want to just keep it because the NHS will almost certainly dispose of it. I have a friend who sells used NHS medical equipment for export, some of the crutches are only ever been to 1 person then disposed of. Electric beds at £4000 a piece are disposed of after 12 months. You need not feel guilty if you decide its worth more to you than going and sitting in a dusty warehouse for export.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am

From a quick Google i found an article that mentions the "S1 (former E106)". We obtained E106s 20 years ago when we first moved here in our 40s and it gave us 2 years health cover here as we met the criteria of working for so long and paying so much etc into the UK system. It seems that the E106 no longer exits.

You will need to take advice from the UK authorities to see what forms they will issue to you and your daughter. If you are not working here and under retirement age then I'm not sure what NHS health cover you can get.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:45 pm

The S1 for under 65-66 O.A.P was stopped in july 2014.

If the O.P is a OAP then they can get an S1 the daughter maybe entiltled to one depending on what disability she gets. Or theres the possibility of one based on the husband working and paying stamp in the U.K. its something they need to seriously look into. Even more so when the daughter has health problems. Although on paper there is Spanish healthcare for all in reality its difficult to get. They will need to become residents first to even try and access healthcare. So without an S1 the daughter will struggle to get covered by private healthcare which without she wont be able to apply for residency. After a year theres the option of the covenio especial.

Trevor&Lina

Postby Trevor&Lina » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 pm

Many thanks for all your replies.
We are not that old yet, lol, our daughter is 13.
As my husband and I both work fur a UK company and pay NI in the UK we thought we could apply for the s1 e106 (form number on gov website ca8454) as we will be working for a UK company in the UK and also we are working for that company in spain too( UK employee posted abroad)
If we get turned down for the s1, can we pay autonomo for my wife to cover health care whilst in spain?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:28 am

If you are a fiscal resident working in or even 'from' Spain for a company outside of the country you have to register for tax and social security. It is not a choice.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:31 am

This is turning into one of those posts where I cannot help thinking "why would you?"
A family member with complex medical needs, presumably no-one with fluent Spanish, the uncertainty of Brexit, possibly complex taxation situation...
Is a bit of sun really worth all the risks and complications you would be putting yourselves through?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:49 pm

can we pay autonomo for my wife to cover health care whilst in spain?
------------
Your wife woud have to set up a business,file quaterly tax returns etc. Alot of peope have gone self employed just to get health care but the authorities are catching on so its not really viable. Im not to clued up on this sort of stuff as its not something that effects me but if you are classed as s spanish tax resident even though you are working for a uk firm than presumably you are covered for healthcare in spain which also means your dependents are aswell ie your wife and daughter. Have alook on citizens advice bureau spain f.book page/website. Yours is quite a common situation. You could ask on the f.book group for advice from people who have done the same thing

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 pm

Trevor&Lina wrote:Many thanks for all your replies.
We are not that old yet, lol, our daughter is 13.
As my husband and I both work fur a UK company and pay NI in the UK we thought we could apply for the s1 e106 (form number on gov website ca8454) as we will be working for a UK company in the UK and also we are working for that company in spain too( UK employee posted abroad)
If we get turned down for the s1, can we pay autonomo for my wife to cover health care whilst in spain?

What if any help has the uk company given you.surely this organising of medical schooling etc should be down to them.Are you employed or self employed.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Just another point.seems very risky taking your child 13 out of the uk education system at such an important time in there education.Unless you are prepared to pay for an english scoool in spain.I bet they arent cheap.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi swerve,

From OP, first Post............

My husband will continue to run his own business in the UK with a little help from me as secretary,..................so no company backup hence the questions.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.