Moving to Andalucía from Canada

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Hearns

Moving to Andalucía from Canada

Postby Hearns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:59 pm

My wife and I are considering a permanent move to Spain, we are Irish/Canadian. Is there someone out there that has gone through this process and is willing to share their experiences/advice.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Andalucía from Canada

Postby olive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Welcome to the forum.

There are several key questions to be addressed. Healthcare and Are you well enough off are two. If you are financially solvent with plenty of income or a guaranteed job offer then you go onto choosing an area. Most recommend renting before buying. It is easy to buy but not so easy to sell. If you have a look on the forum you will find plenty of information on the subjects.

Hopefully someone who has made the move from Canada will come along.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm

We know some canadians who moved here. One has an irish passport so that makes it alot easier as you can apply as a EU resident. Are you retired or working. Theres the healthcare issues. Citizens advice bureau spain website and f.book group will have members who have done the same as you and could answer questions

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:29 pm

HI

It may be 18 months to 2 years before you can move to Spain from Canada due to the Coronavirus.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://www.carbray.es/immigrate-to-spain-from-canada/

Good luck with your investigation

David

Hearns

Postby Hearns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. We are both retired and have Irish passports.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 pm

I'm currently in the initial stages of obtaining residencia here, I've been advised that nothing will likely happen for at least 3-6 months !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:23 am

Hearns wrote:Thank you all for the quick replies. We are both retired and have Irish passports.
Easy peasy then. You just apply as E.U nationals. You will need private healthcare though.

Mila P

Postby Mila P » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello Hearns,
my wife and I went through the process two years ago from the GTA. I, like yourselves also have a European passport along with the Canadian one. My wife has a Canadian passport only. Our home here is near Cadiz.
If you would like to PM us we will be happy to share our experience step by step. We found everyone most helpful beginning with the Spanish Consulate in Toronto.
Best regards,
Mike & Lana