Planning to move

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
dani_who_blogs

Planning to move

Postby dani_who_blogs » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:47 am

Hey guys, few questions but here goes. We are looking to move back to Spain within the next 2 years. My partner is Spanish and his family live in Granada, I’m English and not fluent (can speak a bit). I’m a psychotherapist and my concern is being able to continue to practice in Spain. I know we would need to live somewhere in that I could travel to an area in which there are expats and I know it won’t be easy trying to set up as a private practice/therapist so I’m keen to hear if any other English psychotherapists currently practicing in Spain.

My next concern is what area of Andalucía to consider living in. I love Granada and would like to be close to my in-laws but I believe there isn’t a huge expat community in grandad (so thinking work wise) but if anyone has any further info/advice on this would be great.

Our daughter is almost 10 and I’m anticipating that she would be ready to go into Spanish year 7 by the time we move so advice on schools would be much appreciated.

Lastly I am hoping that my father would be able to move with us. He is 76 and would be financially stable but again with brexit etc I really just don’t know where things stand even for myself as a British citizen wanting to move to Spain

Sorry it’s long, I’m working my way through the forums so maybe some of my questions have already been asked so thank you in advance

Danielle

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: Planning to move

Postby gavilan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Methinks most of us down in Andalucia are trying to get used to unforeseen/unique circumstances ... my suggestion would be to wait a year before you consider moving over here ... by then hopefully schools/employment/house prices and availability will have stabilsised ...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:25 pm

I think the poster said they were looking to move somewhere in the next two years....

I am sorry that i cannot be very helpful but i'm sure someone will come along who will be very knowledgeable and helpful in answering your questions. No better time than the present as everyone is locked down in their homes and many are reading the forum during this time.

You mentioned partner? i know that you would be able to live in Spain if you are married to a Spanish national but i'm unsure how it will work if you are not married to a Spanish national or what agreements will have been made ( if any) after the brexit transition period. You may run into difficulties....If you were married then as far as i'm aware your father could apply to be with you...
Work wise, you are right, there isn't a big ex pat community in Granada especially if you hoped to have a good clientele in your area of work...If you did move to Andalucia then maybe consider Malaga area for your work where there is more opportunity for ex pat clients, Granada is only an 1/12 hrs drive for a weekend visit..

Hopeful you will get further answers to your post, good luck. :wave:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Maybe in 2 years the world might have returned to normal, or a new kind of normal, whatever that actually is.
Until then, yes, make loose plans, but be flexible as nothing is happening at the moment.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:33 am

I'm sorry that you had a poor response to your questions, perhaps no one on the forum knows of any English psychotherapists practising and therefore can't help with some of your questions..Your line of work does fit into a niche market and i would imagine if there are any British or English speaking psychotherapists around Granada or Andalucia then there will be very few...Look in areas where there is a large ex pat community, near the coast ... join other forums if you haven't already done so, the more people who see your post then the more chance you will have of getting a reply.. :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 pm

I would have thought that just as in the UK you have to be registered with the British Psychological society and the branch for psychotherapy. I am sure that is going to be the same here in Spain and you would need to be able to speak Spanish. I do not think you can just set yourself up as a Psychotherapist you would be breaking the law.

You should get your husband to ask them how to register. Here is a link Asociación Española de Psiquiatría y Psicología Aplicada
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 pm

I will tell you the same as anyone else who had had long term contact with Spain.

Presently there are few jobs here, Spanish unemployment is high, this situation will only be excacerbated by the effects of the pandemic.

I honestly don't know if there is a need for your services here especially if you don't have command of Spanish.

In my opinion I would not even come here unless you have a solid work programme and sufficient funds to last for at least a year (I live well but not ostentatiously) and it costs me around 11-1200 euros per month.

I apologise if my response appears negative but it's the truth, think and plan before you do this, good luck anyway !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Psycotherapy for an expat would be in the luxury category, and living in Spain there is less stress, so I would retrain in something more mainstream need?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.