Reconnecting Electric and Water in property

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Reconnecting Electric and Water in property

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:30 am

Thats a handy calculator :thumbup:

I would go for a 4.4kw supply at a minimum, if possible.

We are in the same situation now - we are looking at a property thats been empty for 3 years. I would assume straight away that it will need some updating, so that will have to be done before we can move in, unless i can hook it up to "builders electric" of course.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Enrique wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:40 pm Hi guys,

Spanish_lad:.........if the property was up and running prior to having the Water and Electric " disconnected " why does it require all this work to Turn on the Water and Electricity :?:

I suspect the Lawyer has just the Tradesmen to recommend to do the work........ or am I a little cynical here :
Not cynical just underinformed, I know someone who is doing this right now.
Once the supply has been turned off OR a new subscriber turns up then it's new contract, take it or leave it, the Spanish are becoming very savvy with utilities as it's a big money spinner for them and why not ?

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:56 am

RaybertK wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm Hi Everyone,
In the final stages of buying property in Torrox pueblo.Before I can move into it my Spanish lawyer has said I need to get my Electricity and Water reconnected and also some work done to both of them. I am a newbie in how these things should be done properly in Spain, since I am based in the UK.This is what my Spanish lawyer emailed me about the electric and water;
WATER: Not connected.It is required to carry out some small work on the water box to update it
ELECTRICITY: Not connected. It is required to move the electric meter box, change of derivation to 10mm, put a new electric board, a new differential as well as make a new electric certificate.
Anyone information (especially the electric work) what this means would be really helpful in making sure that the work will be done to the proper Spanish regulations.
Thanks,
RayK
if the house was recently lived-in i think you should ask the seller to have utilities re-connected prior to sale complete..
If the house has not being recently lived in you will likely have to re-do the electrics.
I think if it were me i would say i wanted utilities done before i complete unless the property has been vacant for a time.
I think the lawyer should sort this out if you were not made aware of lack of utilities in the sale contract.
Have a good look at the sale contract.
A little bit of "hard ball" may be needed...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Based on us needing to update electricity supply fusebox etc and obtaining a "boletin" (the electric certificate) will cost €2000 to €3000 depending on rewiring and updating required (ours is a three bedroom campo property.) I would imagine water is much simpler, requiring the installation of a new meter.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am

Manchesteral wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:24 pm the Spanish are becoming very savvy with utilities as it's a big money spinner for them and why not ?
I dont think its so much the money aspect, afterall, the electric company themselves get nothing - it has to be an electrician that gives the bollatin, but anyone can do the work, if its "up to spec". (not like in the UK).

To be fair, some of the horror film stuff we saw while "re-wiring" houses.. it was lucky that they hadn´t burned down yet. If you plug in heaters and microwaves to some of the sockets that we redid..

Its definatly a saftey issue for 80% of the old campo houses.

I was looking at ours yesterday. Until 3 years ago it was running and working.. theres only ONE breaker. for the WHOLE house. But all the wiring is new... I haven´t opened the box up yet to see what pleasures await :crazy: :crazy: (technically we have only paid a deposit, so its not ours yet) :crazy: :crazy:

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:25 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am
I was looking at ours yesterday. Until 3 years ago it was running and working.. theres only ONE breaker. for the WHOLE house. But all the wiring is new... I haven´t opened the box up yet to see what pleasures await :crazy: :crazy: (technically we have only paid a deposit, so its not ours yet) :crazy: :crazy:
Amusing! Currently, we renting in Galicia. Oldish house, one breaker. The lights glow at night with the switches OFF.
I checked the wiring, it's the old type wires. It's the old style siatuation to deal with earth leakage also, I think.
But, the landlord installed electricin the annex not that long ago. All looks pretty on the outside. I opened some of the junction boxes, to find earth wires cut, lol. Wouldn't work if they were connected.

The point is.....he would have needed a boletin for the new work! At the end of the day, it's who you know. This bloke is a politician, lol.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:25 am

I mean, technically, there's nothing 'wrong' with only having one breaker.. I mean its protected, right? :lol:

Looks like I'm gonna have a bit of work to do hahah

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:42 pm

jhonie99 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:25 pmBut, the landlord installed electric in the annex not that long ago. All looks pretty on the outside. I opened some of the junction boxes, to find earth wires cut, lol. Wouldn't work if they were connected.

The point is.....he would have needed a boletin for the new work! At the end of the day, it's who you know. This bloke is a politician, lol.
well.. not really.. if he doesn´t tell anyone, and does it himself or get a mate who knows "just make it work" ...