Reconnecting Electric and Water in property

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
RaybertK
Tourist

Reconnecting Electric and Water in property

Postby RaybertK » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
In the final stages of buying property in Torrox pueblo.Before I can move into it my Spanish lawyer has said I need to get my Electricity and Water reconnected and also some work done to both of them. I am a newbie in how these things should be done properly in Spain, since I am based in the UK.This is what my Spanish lawyer emailed me about the electric and water;
WATER: Not connected.It is required to carry out some small work on the water box to update it
ELECTRICITY: Not connected. It is required to move the electric meter box, change of derivation to 10mm, put a new electric board, a new differential as well as make a new electric certificate.
Anyone information (especially the electric work) what this means would be really helpful in making sure that the work will be done to the proper Spanish regulations.
Thanks,
RayK

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Reconnecting Electric and Water in property

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Re: the electrical side of things :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but getting all that done, legally, is going to cost you a small fortune. Think about 2k if its "just" moving the box, making a few upgrades and doing a bollatin (certification of the work). If its a complete rewire, about 5k for the work to be done...and dust everywhere (you are better off emptying the house before they come)

You´ll need an electrician to sign it off. Any monkey can do the work, as long as its "up to code" - but it has to be a registered (in spain) electrician who signs it off, and many will refuse to sign off on work they havent done themselves, even tho they can test its "upto scratch" with their machines.

I´m sure that someone will be along in a bit telling me not to scare you and jump to conclusions, but I´ve done loads of these myself - I used to work with an electrician in Coin.

Water connections, I have no idea.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi guys,

Spanish_lad:.........if the property was up and running prior to having the Water and Electric " disconnected " why does it require all this work to Turn on the Water and Electricity :?:

I suspect the Lawyer has just the Tradesmen to recommend to do the work........ or am I a little cynical here :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Endesa see everything as a "new contract". As the OP´s lawyer has said, it needs upgrades and the box moving, and a certificate.

He could go to endesa directly and ask to be put back on, but if they require a bollatin, then the house needs to be brought up to current code, there is no way around it, they will not put the electric back on.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Spanish lad if perfectly correct.
A new contract means everything has to comply with the current standards and be signed off with a bolletin.
It cost me €2000 for a new contract etc as I wanted the potencia upgraded.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:32 am

My Bolotin cost about 90€ in 2003 as everything was ok.
Gerry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 am

Gosh I hope you didn't pay too much for this house that doesn't have current water or electricity connections. We were quoted 1400€ ten years ago to move a meter in a house we were considering buying (albeit it was a campo house and it needed to be moved from the house to the gates, about 10m). The boletin for our current house was 100€ 9 years back, but then nothing needed doing.

RaybertK
Tourist

Postby RaybertK » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your advice and information regarding the electrical work.Will take this information to my Spanish lawyer to clarify what the work involves and the costs involved.
Regards,
Ray.

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm

gerryh wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 pm Spanish lad if perfectly correct.
A new contract means everything has to comply with the current standards and be signed off with a bolletin.
It cost me €2000 for a new contract etc as I wanted the potencia upgraded.
Cheers
Gerry
I'm considering a campo property that has been empty for about 10 years. It has a mini-pylon and a fat power cable coming to it, an (empty) meter box on an outside wall that the power cable goes into, and indoors has a modern-ish consumer panel with trip-switches.

In principle,
i) would this be a "new contract" to reconnect it / get a meter in the box ? (and would that cost €2000 ???)
ii) is it possible to identify the "old" account number/contract for the previous supply ? and would this help ? and how could you go about this without previous paperwork ?
iii) what are the practical options and considerations for mains potencia/voltage choices ? (I'm just used to the UK where you simply get a "domestic supply" - as far I know its all 240V and thats all you need to know)
iv) would it be also/instead worth looking into solar panels and batteries (there is a south-facing slope)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm

AndyLucyOne wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm
iii) what are the practical options and considerations for mains potencia/voltage choices ? (I'm just used to the UK where you simply get a "domestic supply" - as far I know its all 240V and thats all you need to know)
In Spain you contract for a fixed maximum potencia depending on what your total power requirements are.
Typical potencias are
2.2 KW gives you a maximum of 10 Amps
4.4 KW gives you a maximum of 20 Amps
6.6 KW gives you a maximum of 30 Amps
8.8 KW gives you a maximum of 40 Amps
All of the above are on a single-phase supply.
Higher potencias need a three-phase supply.
You should be able to tell what potenciaas last contracted for by looking at the rating of the main power supply circuit breaker.
This, of course, assumes that the previous owner didn't put in a larger circuit breaker than he should have.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi AndyLucyOne,

Following on from Gerry's Post.......

Will depend on what you're going to use for cooking , heating etc......

iii) Our supply is Rated at 3.3Kw so 15Amps, can run washing machine, dish washer, microwave and two electric water heaters. BUT not at the same time :!:
The higher you go on Potencia the greater the Standing Charge.

As the House has been empty for 10 years don't rely on the Rating of the circuit breaker as it was some years back (5 :?: ) they came round and regulated the circuit breakers to the contracted potencia....our original one was 25Amp. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:17 pm

gerryh wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm
AndyLucyOne wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm
In Spain you contract for a fixed maximum potencia depending on what your total power requirements are.
Typical potencias are
2.2 KW gives you a maximum of 10 Amps
4.4 KW gives you a maximum of 20 Amps
6.6 KW gives you a maximum of 30 Amps
8.8 KW gives you a maximum of 40 Amps
All of the above are on a single-phase supply.
Higher potencias need a three-phase supply.
You should be able to tell what potenciaas last contracted for by looking at the rating of the main power supply circuit breaker.
This, of course, assumes that the previous owner didn't put in a larger circuit breaker than he should have.
Cheers
Gerry
That's very clear, thank you Gerry. So calculator in one hand and crystal ball in the other !

I stayed in an old Spanish cottage with twisted wires nailed to the walls and bakelite light switches. When on, it just managed to make the (dusty 20W incandescent) lightbulb glow orange, just enough to prevent walking into a wall, but not enough to read under. Presumably that was a low end KW home ?
Is the voltage supplied all the same at 220-240V or do voltages vary too ? (I read that some older properties are 115V)
Last edited by AndyLucyOne on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:37 pm

In theory, the standard harmonised voltage in Europe should be 230V.
Most of Europe was 220v and UK 240V.
All of Europe should be on 230V now but when I see it I will believe it.
Depending on where you are you could see anything from 200V to 250V.
I was at a outdoor event here in Spain where the voltage, in the evening, dropped to about150V.
Played havoc with my stage lighting and the radio mikes. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Enrique wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:03 pm Hi AndyLucyOne,

Following on from Gerry's Post.......

Will depend on what you're going to use for cooking , heating etc......

iii) Our supply is Rated at 3.3Kw so 15Amps, can run washing machine, dish washer, microwave and two electric water heaters. BUT not at the same time :!:
The higher you go on Potencia the greater the Standing Charge.

As the House has been empty for 10 years don't rely on the Rating of the circuit breaker as it was some years back (5 :?: ) they came round and regulated the circuit breakers to the contracted potencia....our original one was 25Amp. :D

Wow. :wtf: So if you put the kettle on for a cup of tea (UK 2-3KW), you cant use the microwave at the same time (UK 650-950W) with the light on ?

I guess an electric shower is out of the question (UK 8.5-9.5KW)

Out of interest (and for calculation) what are the ratings for your washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, your water heaters and your fridge/freezer ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 pm

I have an electric water heater for my shower.
That is why I'm on an 8.8KW potencia.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:53 am

If there's no meter did it ever have a contract? I believe there's something called a builder's connection which I seem to remember various illegal properties around us used to use for years before Endesa caught up with them. In fact our very first house here in the 1990s had electricity for 2 years without a meter or contract now I think about it!

I have 4.4kw. We have a washing machine, microwave, dishwasher, 2 aircon units and electric water heater (1500w), all the usual household stuff. We have never known the system to trip out here. In the winter before we had the aircon units which are very economic to run, we used to have various electric radiators varying from 900w to 2kw. Our bathroom blower heater is 2kw and I've had that on with other things in the house and it's always been OK. The one thing we don't have a an electric kettle, and we have a full gas cooker.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:00 am

Raybert k, Are you currently living in Torrox pueblo, if so I can pm you with some useful info, I lived in the pueblo for six months and I know someone who has recently been doing up an old house there in Calle Baja, and has first hand knowledge and experience of this, there are a few English builders there who work with accredited spanish tradesmen, plumbers and electricians etc !

RaybertK
Tourist

Postby RaybertK » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi Machesteral,
Sorry I am not in Torrox pueblo due to the COVID19 situation. I am still in the UK.When things get a bit better for me to travel I will be going over to Torrox to check the house, I know that it will need some modernisation so your friends first hand knowledge and experience will be really useful.So when I plan to travel over to Torrox may I pm you for the useful information?
Regards,
Ray.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Here is a handy caculator to find out what power you need.

https://www.iberdrola.es/webclipb/calcu ... cia.action
Hardworking resident !!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Sorry, here is the link to the calculator.

https://www.iberdrola.es/en/energy-savi ... ica-optima
Hardworking resident !!