One year ago today, to the hour.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

One year ago today, to the hour.

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Where's that gone? At this very moment we were sliding our house keys across the desk as a cheque was slid our way as we completed the house sale at the Notary office in Velez Malaga. We all shook hands and went ours separate ways, we stopped for an ice cream on the way to the car then set off at 2.15pm for the long haul up to Bilbao, taking in a stop just south of Madrid at Santa Cruz de Mudelo, a night at the Convento in Miranda de Ebro, then a few nights in Bilbao before the ferry home. Mrs left her favourite ever dress in the wardrobe of the hotel in Santa Cruz which made the trip a bit frosty :mrgreen: We cheered up when Currencies Direct called us though as we were crossing in to La Rioja that the monies were now in our UK account.

Seriously though what a year since. When we were having our final glass of wine and Pinxto in Plaza Nueva, Bilbao we we already planning next years adventure, which would feature a fortnight in Northern Spain and a fortnight visiting the old haunts in Andalucia, all without the pressure of being home owners there...........how wrong could we be?

The year has simply flown, I'm sure it must feel like that for a lot of people too with these abnormal circumstances.
We arrived back at Portsmouth to simply biblical rain, the 250 mile drive home was done in near enough zero visibility.
It felt like the rain only stopped in March (which it did in all honesty) and the sun came blasting out........only for us to be put in to "Lockdown" for the duration:mrgreen:

So it's August the 9th once more, feels like 3 days since the last August the 9th and we are still in a blur.

Holidays out for this year and the foreseeable future until this lot calms down .

We never thought in our wildest dreams as the boat left Spanish waters the world would change to such an extent so soon after.
And yes, I am now missing moaning that it's too hot, I am missing the Mossies and saying how Spanish bread is crap, but I'd be back in the blink of an eye if all was normal again and relish once more the European road trip.

With all these thoughts on this anniversary I also realise that the buyers solicitor is still holding on to 5k of our hard earned, with some dodgy and I now reckon illegal retention that was thrust upon us at the 24th hour, we'd forgot all about it.
I will have to start the ball rolling again to get it back, but won't hold my breath.......I think Covid 19 is all the excuse they need to keep on stalling.

Hope 2021 is a bit more normal
Cheers.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: One year ago today, to the hour.

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:38 pm

Bizarre times for sure and what a difference a year makes. I have heard all sorts of excuses for airlines etc refusing to refund money and I bet the Spanish solicitor will use a classic to try and stall repaying your 5K.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:00 pm

I have a hunch you may well be correct CK sadly.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Cannot believe it is a year!

I went over to the UK for two weeks and didn’t get back for five months!

Had been looking forward to travelling more and putting house on market. Who knows what the next five years hold....

Hope you get your 5k back.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks Olive and yes where has that time gone? I followed your posts on the struggles you had to get back home and again it was all part of the surreal blur.

Truly hoping you get to travel more very shortly and get the house on the market and sold.....then pastures new.

This can't go on forever, people are now becoming very weary with it all and are questioning the point of it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Devils Advocate said
Mrs left her favourite ever dress in the wardrobe of the hotel in Santa Cruz which made the trip a bit frosty :mrgreen: We cheered up when Currencies Direct called us though as we were crossing in to La Rioja that the monies were now in our UK account.

Had to smile. When we completed we went straight to bank and closed the accounts. Sat across road outside a bar where we waited for a friend taking us to the airport. Had a suede jacket for when we arrived in UK. Slung it over the back of my chair...and left it. Only missed it when we landed at Gatwick. I whinged at OH for not noticing it :mrgreen: Was my favourite jacket, very soft and was dark purple.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:16 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Unbelievable.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:17 pm

I haven't posted on this board for a while (though I read it regularly).
We completed our sale on August 12th last year in Torre del Mar. It was hot then!
Received the 'retencion' refund at the end of April, but we have not had success with getting a refund from Velez Malaga Ayuntamiento for the 'Plus Valia'.
We miss the place, but consider ourselves lucky to have sold last year before 'the new world'.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!