Gas cooker installation

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
waverunner
Tourist

Gas cooker installation

Postby waverunner » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 pm

Can somone tell me the procedure for changing from an electric hob cooker to gas? Apart from fitting , how you obtain a gas bottle ?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gas cooker installation

Postby olive » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:11 pm

Two ways.

The “ proper” way is to go to your local bottled gas supplier e.g. Repsol and take out a contract at their office. You can have as many bottles as you want but you pay for each one. As part of that you get a scheduled gas check every five years ( which you pay for). When you finish with gas e.g. selling up , you can take your bottles back and get your deposit back.

The other way is to buy used bottles secondhand off ebay, milanuncios etc. Maybe 13 euros for each empty one.

When you have your hob installed make sure the fitter leaves it with bottled gas burner nozzles rather than town mains gas if it comes with the choice. You can buy a hob specifically for butane bottled gas. The fitter ought to test it with a bottle before leaving.

waverunner
Tourist

Postby waverunner » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Thank you for the info...

Daisymay1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Daisymay1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:21 pm

In my experience you need to buy a really good gas oven/cooker as they tend to be really difficult to control the temperature! It’s either low or high, undercooked or burnt !

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:06 pm

I was left 3 bottles when I bought my apartment, I never bothered with a contract - just nip to Cepsa or Repsol with the empty. I only have a gas water heater so a bottle lasts for a long, long time.

I might get a gas hob but wouldn't bother with a gas oven - too hard to control the tempreature.