Eu long term residents wishing to move to Spain

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
corysea

Eu long term residents wishing to move to Spain

Postby corysea » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 pm

Dear Friends,
My wife and I are citizens of Australia and residents of Portugal.
We are also EU long term residents.
Information on the EU long term resident status can be found here:
https://ec.europa.eu/immigration/genera ... eady-eu_en
We are looking for someone to help us move to Cadiz.
In particular, we understand that the EU long term resident status makes it easier to do this,
and so we need help from someone who is familiar with this status.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cory Sea

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Eu long term residents wishing to move to Spain

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:16 pm

After Brexit, my understanding is that if you wish to move your residence within the EU you will have to apply afresh for residency under the existing rules for non eu citizens in the country that you wish to permanently move to. Previous long term residency in another EU country does not seem to make any difference.

If you are eu citizens it is easier but you do not appear to be so.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:29 am

Agree with cid. Presuming you are Australian nationals. Not (dual brit/aussie) and theres no special agreement between oz and Spain for example then it doesnt matter if you already live in the E.U and want to move to another E.U country.you have to apply the same as a first timer

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:11 pm

From first hand experience I can tell you that it is not a simple task. regardless of where you live now you will still have to apply for residencia in Spain. The main stumbling block will be medical cover, you don't automatically acquire it as of right, the Spanish authorities will want to know (and you will have to prove it) who is going to pay your medical bills should you fall ill (I had to take out private medical insurance 1800 euros upfront) they will also want to know (and you will have to prove it) that you do not have a serious criminal past in your home country ! You will also need 7500 euros in your bank account, a Spanish one, there are a number of hurdles before you and it's a rocky path I know because I've been there ! My best advice would be to employ a good gestor to get you through, probably cost you around 3/500 euros. Having said that I wish you luck, Spain is not a bad place to live !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 am

They will need more than 7500 in the bank as thats the numbers for E.U nationals. They will need to apply for a visa presuming a retirement one that at the mo requires around 32k for the first year for both of them

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:55 am

i believe the tax rules are completely different in Portugal and Spain...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:52 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 am They will need more than 7500 in the bank as thats the numbers for E.U nationals. They will need to apply for a visa presuming a retirement one that at the mo requires around 32k for the first year for both of them
Yes, you're correct I was applying as a Finnish citizen so the amount was 7500 !