Non-Lucrative Residence Visa

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Gandom
Tourist

Non-Lucrative Residence Visa

Postby Gandom » Fri May 06, 2022 12:19 am

Hi! I hope this is not off-topic...my wife and I are looking at the most affordable option to settle down in Spain. As I understand, once we go through the process and get approved, we have to spend 183 days in Spain.

Two questions:

1. Is the 183 days "consecutive days," or is it the total number of days residing in Spain during the year? (Since 183 days qualifies as a tax resident, then I suppose that same rule applies here, i.e. it is rather not consecutive days.)

2. Is it possible for one person (me) to apply ahead of my spouse? Then, at a later time, request for residence visa for my wife.

Thanks!
G & M

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non-Lucrative Residence Visa

Postby costakid » Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 am

183 in a tax year and then you automatically become liable for tax. 183 but not necessarily all in one trip.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 am

Under the NLV you can only leave spain for 10 months in the first 5 years. At the most 6 months in one go. The 186 rule was under the old rules when we were in the E.U

The 183 is days in the year. Not consecutive

Im not sure re number 2. I know theres a reunification visa which this may come under. Rather than her applying in her right at a later time. The spanish goverment website has all the visas available on it. Or have a look at brexpats in Spain f.book group ran by anne hernandez

Gandom
Tourist

Postby Gandom » Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 pm

Thanks so much for the info and clarification on the "183 day" not being consecutive days. Also, good to know that the period of time required is within a tax year. Does this mean that if we enter in May and stay the rest of the year, we would get 1 year out of 5 under our belt?

@elusive I believe that's 30 months in the first 5 years and not 10, if requires stay of 183 days per year. Am I mistaking?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 07, 2022 5:27 pm

Yes. Your thinking of the rules for E.U nationals. You can only be out of Spain for 10 months in the whole first five years of residency on a third country NLV visa unless its a golden one then money talks!. The first visa you apply for lasts a year. Then its renewed for two lots of two years at a time until you become a permanant resident at year 5 then you are in so to speak.

Your looking at E.U citizen regulations of 183/6 months law not third country rules which the U.K now comes under. If you have an E.U passport and get residency, for the first 5 years you have to be in Spain for at least 6 month because that then,in its most basic form makes you a tax resident. Once a E.U national has permanent residency they can be out of Spain for upto 5 years without losing their rights.U.K nationals dont come under that rule anymore unless you lived here pre brexit.

Gandom
Tourist

Postby Gandom » Thu May 19, 2022 2:39 am

I had to ponder over this. Thanks, @elusive.

We fall under the third country NLV. That means we need to plan out our 5 years very carefully and not miss the permanent residency opportunity. The challenge is to balance between our home and Malaga until we figure things out. One of us needs to be back home to make money and the other can apply for NLV -- supposing we can apply for the other one at a later time.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am

Don't forget the 50 grand upfront bank deposit for your residencia application !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am

Manchesteral wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am Don't forget the 50 grand upfront bank deposit for your residencia application ! 25560 euros per applicant !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:14 pm

Its around 30k if a couple plus extras if you have kids etc. But if you do apply separately it will prob be different as one spouse already has a tie so its something to look up

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:32 pm

As spanish tax would bleed me dry compared to the uk I don’t want NLV. Also because our spanish house was bought over 8 years ago we would have to sell and buy another, incurring lots of cost. Looking at passports from st kits and vanatua which cost about £100,000. Then could come out in early summer for 90 days on uk passport and 90 days on Caribbean passport in autumn.

Bloody expensive way around a stupid rule but cheaper for some than €500,000 in housing or a higher tax bill (for some).

Gandom
Tourist

Postby Gandom » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:38 am

Sorry to hear that. We're leaning toward 90-day-spanish-living for now. For newbies like us, it's good to take things one step at a time.
ashtondav wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:32 pm As spanish tax would bleed me dry compared to the uk I don’t want NLV. Also because our spanish house was bought over 8 years ago we would have to sell and buy another, incurring lots of cost. Looking at passports from st kits and vanatua which cost about £100,000. Then could come out in early summer for 90 days on uk passport and 90 days on Caribbean passport in autumn.

Bloody expensive way around a stupid rule but cheaper for some than €500,000 in housing or a higher tax bill (for some).

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 pm

It’s such a shame. We would do May and June and September and October. Impossible now and costing local spanish businesses our €€€€€s.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:20 am

ashtondav wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 pm It’s such a shame. We would do May and June and September and October. Impossible now and costing local spanish businesses our €€€€€s.
...and yet down in Malaga, Marbella, Torrox and a few other places, there was a very vocal pro-Brexit campaign with a stand in the town square most Saturday mornings.

I hope they're happy with themselves. :clap:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:03 pm

ebyard wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:20 am
ashtondav wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 pm It’s such a shame. We would do May and June and September and October. Impossible now and costing local spanish businesses our €€€€€s.
...and yet down in Malaga, Marbella, Torrox and a few other places, there was a very vocal pro-Brexit campaign with a stand in the town square most Saturday mornings.

I hope they're happy with themselves. :clap:
Why shouldn't they be happy with themselves ?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:55 pm

Those who never registered as a resident, who now find themselves unable to live in what might well be their main residence, must be kicking themselves as well as those want to spend more time here in Spain and maybe like to travel to other European destinations.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:20 pm

Never wanted residency. Just wanted to spend 180 days in Spain, Of my choosing, not 90/180.