Moving to Spain to work for UK company, post-Brexit

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Moving to Spain to work for UK company, post-Brexit

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:01 am

Has anyone recent experience of moving to Spain to work from home for a UK company?
My partner's son works for a large UK company that is changing its operations, and one option during redundancy talks would be to work from home but based in his father-in-law's house in the Axarquia.
He is starting to investigate all the post-Brexit complications like visa, health cover, residency status, income tax etc.
Is anyone in this situation, preferably starting post Brexit who can advise on procedures, plusses and minuses?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Spain to work for UK company, post-Brexit

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:14 pm

As far as i am aware Spain does not offer a remote working visa for non EU nationals.I have read that they are planning to introduce a special visa for remote working but when that will be i don't know..You didn't say if your partners son has an EU passport which would make it easier.
I think people can apply for a self employed visa and run a business,it could be argued that he could work remotely for the Uk company on a self employed basis ( i think there is a self employed visa) meaning tax etc would be paid in Spain, however i think Spain is very strict on what constitutes being self employed and working for the same company may be viewed as employed.He really needs to seek advice from a professional.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:32 pm

Pamela, thank you for your thoughts but I am looking for certain knowledge, preferably based on recent personal experience, with no “as far as I aware” or “I think”.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi peteroldracer,

I'm guessing you have come accross this................. :?:

https://www.supportadventure.com/workin ... right-way/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:32 pm Pamela, thank you for your thoughts but I am looking for certain knowledge, preferably based on recent personal experience, with no “as far as I aware” or “I think”.
An Irish relative be handy...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm An Irish relative be handy...
Not much help for a UK Tyke!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:18 pm

Peter thats ok but you might struggle on here, generally most people commenting on this forum have either lived in Spain since before Brexit or live in the Uk..

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:39 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Whats a Tyke?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:52 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:39 pm
Whats a Tyke?
Born and bred in Yorkshire.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:56 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:39 pm
peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:16 pm
You werent brought up at east end park in Leeds then?! :wink:
Whats a Tyke?
Wash your mouth out :think: :D :wink: The people from Gods own county :wink:

Not possible at the moment peter as he would need a work visa and there isnt one right now for remote working. One is in the process of going into law but how long it will take.... probably not till next year and there will be lots of caveats. So it will be a case of keeping an eye on things. Or if his redundancy talks are lasting less than three months theres nothing to stop him from coming and and having a working holiday

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:39 pm

thank you elusive- it is as I feared...will pass on the news!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am

I met a young guy this week who had come over for work. I did ask him how he got the visa and he was doing exactly the situation you describe, working from home for British company, using the three month visa for the moment.

Not exactly the same but there must be some sort of working visa available though, because as there is a small international community here, I often come across people who work in both the engineering and scientific communities, not only from Europe, but also from India and the Middle East.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:12 am

markwilding wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am I met a young guy this week who had come over for work. I did ask him how he got the visa and he was doing exactly the situation you describe, working from home for British company, using the three month visa for the moment.

Not exactly the same but there must be some sort of working visa available though, because as there is a small international community here, I often come across people who work in both the engineering and scientific communities, not only from Europe, but also from India and the Middle East.
There is no 3 month visa. Any non EU can stay in the zone for 3 months as a holiday maker. If you chose to spend your 3 months holiday on your laptop then theres nothing to stop you. But obviously you cant come back into schengen for another three months when you leave.

There are working visas available but thats when working for a spanish company and living and paying taxes in spain. As a non EU unless its a highly skilled job that they cant find a spaniard/resident or EU national then its pretty much impossible to get one. The nomad visa is going through the system. I think it will only last a few years but there will be tax encentives amongst other rules.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:19 am

The son of a friend of mine relocated from U K to Spain working for British airways, this was last year, his company (Britsih airways) did all the paperwork for him, he has had to basically become a Spanish resident, pay taxes and social security etc in Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:38 am

"working for British airways" as they own Iberia that may have made things easier?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:57 pm

Possible and also because he was already working for them.if he were applying from scratch it would be a different ball game

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:27 pm

elusive wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:57 pm Possible and also because he was already working for them.if he were applying from scratch it would be a different ball game
For sure, the problem now is that so many people are trying to scam the system (and I'm not saying that Peter's friend is) is that lots of people now think they can "relocate" to Spain, live there, work from home and get paid by U K companies, it's not that simple anymore, there are a lot of hurdles, where do you pay your social security, where do you pay your taxes, the list is endless and it can be a can of worms if you don't do it right, I'd be concerned about would be that if they have offered him a legal option to w f h for the mother company then why are they not prepared to go through the process of doing it legally ? it sounds to me that the company have offered him the option of working on their behalf and him "billing" them which, strictly speaking would mean that he should become autonomo and therefore subject to Spanish law. I think the best option for him would be to contact both the foreign office and a Spanish lawyer !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:30 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm
peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:32 pm Pamela, thank you for your thoughts but I am looking for certain knowledge, preferably based on recent personal experience, with no “as far as I aware” or “I think”.
Why, if you live and work in Spain for more than 6 months then you are subject to Spanish law, it doesn't matter where you come from !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:12 pm

“ I'd be concerned about would be that if they have offered him a legal option to w f h for the mother company then why are they not prepared to go through the process of doing it legally?”
I did wonder who would be the first to make unpleasant remarks…you do come across as someone I would hate to have as a neighbour! Maybe it is the heat…
Put simply, his current position is to be made redundant : his wife’s family own a holiday house in Malaga, there is a possible alternative role that could be done from home and he is exploring the possibility of that home being Spain instead of Leeds.
No scam, no being under any radar, he just is exploring matters. His company have no objection in principle, but it would be up to him to sort his legal status.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 am

Manchesteral wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:30 pm
Cádiz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm
Why, if you live and work in Spain for more than 6 months then you are subject to Spanish law, it doesn't matter where you come from !
I think the issue is more about having a irish passport so he can move to spain and work as an EU national. Very easy. As a third country national its very difficult if not near impossible at the moment.