90 Day Rule

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
JohnnyMac
Tourist

90 Day Rule

Postby JohnnyMac » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:38 pm

I recently read on another site that if I, as a dual UK/Irish citizen and therefore not caught by the 90 day rule, am travelling with my wife (who has only UK citizenship) then she would also not be bound by the 90 day rule. Can anyone confirm whether this is true, please. Thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: 90 Day Rule

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:02 pm

In theory, that is correct. It is important that she checks in and goes through security with you.

I have not seen any firsthand posts on various forums that confirm this. As always, it is down to the various personnel involved at the time and whether they are aware of the new rules.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:57 pm

A friend has an Irish passport and he and is wife are using the rule to stay over 90 days without a problem as yet. They both have to travel in and out together. I am not sure the rule is cast in stone and if you had an awkward immigration officer you could have a problem.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:12 pm

The rule is in place so as not to restrict freedom of movement for an EU citizen who is married to a non-EU citizen.
The process of entitlement of a cost free visa and the requirements to stay longer than 90 days in Spain are outlined here.

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas ... Union.aspx

JohnnyMac
Tourist

Postby JohnnyMac » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the information and advice, much appreciated. I suppose if the worst were to happen I could always just leave her at border control....!! (Just joking :D )