Spanish woman deported from UK

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Spanish woman deported from UK

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 pm

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish woman deported from UK

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:49 pm

I am not sure anyone knows the exact rules.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:51 pm

Border Force seem tto think they do!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:54 am

It just struck me as really incompetent by border force especially when we consider who gets to walk into the UK daily as they step out from a dingy.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:09 am

Lavanda wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:54 am It just struck me as really incompetent by border force especially when we consider who gets to walk into the UK daily as they step out from a dingy.
totally agree because at least we would have known who she was and where she was staying unlike 36000 illegals yearly

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:41 am

Exactly. She was also working and, presumably, paying taxes.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:11 am

Apparently she left the UK and went to South Africa for some time. Also, she applied late for the necessary permits. More than enough to make a border official suspicious. No doubt, UK border officials have their own interpretations of such a complicated set of rules -though not as bad as Spanish officials can be!

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:27 am

When my mum was in her sixties, she went on a day cruise to Europeand was stopped on her return. What is the purpose of your visit to the UK? I Live here! Have done since I was two.

She came from Canada with her mum when she was two and was understandably proud of her Canadian passport and heritage. What was funny was she had been abroad times and she was the driver and keyholder for the journey home rom the port.They let her go to make preperations oleave the UK within 28 days!

That caused quite a lot of anguish in the family as you an imagine but common sense and help from a Telegraph journalist and the situation was regularised.

There seems to be an abundant lack of common sense nowadays. My brother picked up a string of traffic offences in london with his one man business small Ford van despite never going to London in it. The pictures showed a Large transit van with the reg number clearly altered from a six to a five! Despite pointing this out to the office, the onus was on him to prove it. No doubt the perp got away with it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:33 pm

Interesting posts Sid and Olive. I think if laws are created that are wide open to multiple interpretations and are so woolly or complicated that people cannot understand them, then the law-making process needs improving.

The first time I went to see my parents in the UK, post-Brexit, going into the UK on my British passport was fine but on coming back, the Spanish border policeman stamped my passport. I told him he shouldn’t have done that and explained why, showing my resident’s card. He was not aware of the rule. Since then I always show both passport and resident’s card and not had problems since. It takes a while for new rules to filter down to the coalface, maybe?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 pm

I had to put my hand under the stamp when the official tried to stamp my passport even though I had shown my resident card the last time I travelled to the UK. He very quickly realised his mistake and had done it automatically because most passports have to be stamped. It’s really important to show the TIE because obviously, they will not know your status without it.

My son also got a fine for speeding in Barcelona even though he hadn’t been there. The photo showed a completely different car with a similar plate and a quick call to relevant people got it quashed with no fuss.