Buying a property and AFO's

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ella102

Buying a property and AFO's

Postby Ella102 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am

We are interested in purchasing a property but it needs an AFO. Vendors are wanting us to get the AFO after we buy (they will start the process) and we will adjust offer price. Anyone have experience of doing this?

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Buying a property and AFO's

Postby Trooperman » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:45 pm

There might be circumstances where the AFO cannot be granted....as far as I know, it's not a given.......and further work and other permissions may be necessary in order for the property to comply with the requirements of an AFO........and they're not a given either.

My advice? Don't do it!

I'm thinking of such things as septic tank drainage, location relevant to ancient rights of way, Natural Park authorities etc. etc.

Just speaking from experience.

BUT, whilst you say "it needs an AFO", it's perfectly possible to buy a property without such a document, but the price you pay should reflect this
nil illegitimum carborundum

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 pm

Ask yourself why they want you to get the AFO after purchase. My advice would be to agree with Trooperman, it could cost you dearly. So much has been built without planning I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Town Halls can be very strict, more so these days unless you are family to the mayor (just joking!)

DannyB
Tourist

Postby DannyB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:49 pm

When we bought the vendor arranged ,and paid for, the AFO. When the septic tank was declared inadequate the vendors had to replace it with a new one. I would want a very confident solicitor and a very good price before I would agree

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:59 pm

There is one potential advantage of buying without the DAFO. It does mean that you can carry out some extensions or modifications and then get them included in the DAFO when you apply for it. Once the DAFO has been issued there is no way you can make any changes.

Either option is fraught with potential problems, but that is the case when you buy any non-urban property.

Sid