House Aircon servicing

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

House Aircon servicing

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm

Thinking of having our aircon units serviced as we had them installed 3 1/2 years ago. Don't often use the bedroom one but the livingroom one is used extensively in winter and summer. What sort of cost should we expect? Had one quote for 150€ to do both.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: House Aircon servicing

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:21 pm

We replaced our units two years ago after 16 years of use and no services at all. The guy who installed the new units said they were in perfect condition.

All they usually do is clean the filters which you can do yourself.

Save yourself some money and just clean the filters. Call the engineers when it stops working.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:00 pm

That's interesting Sid. We have cleaned the filters already as we have a dusty house! We were told when we had them installed that the gassing needs testing every couple of years (but I guess they would wouldn't they). Mind you, we've only ever had one ancient car's aircon regassed which was about 20 years old, so if it's a similar concept, perhaps it's not worth having done

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:09 pm

A modern air con unit will only need topping up if they have a leak...in which case the leak will also need to be fixed. So you should never just need topping up without getting it repaired.

So if the unit is working correctly all you need to do is manually clean the units surfaces and filters. A vacuum cleaner and a soapy water will look after that. There are lots of you tube videos so search for your mo del number and look for tips on how to clean it.

As regards any leaks...look out for a unit that won't blow cold air, strange noises, ice or frozen coils....all of which you can check when you clean it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 am

It seems that a service after just a few years of reasonable use isn't necessary unless they start to go wrong. Mind you, with the luck we're having with electrical goods bought in 2017 and 2018 this past couple of weeks, I'm keeping my finger's crossed the aircon units are better quality. At least they aren't LG!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Service from a technician shouldn't ever be needed unless something goes wrong...however you need regular maintenance (cleaning as I described above). When I lived in tropics it was a stipulation of houses that I rented that this was done every three months the. So here in Spain I reckon every 6 months...your only real enemy is dust that can clog filters etc, so if you live in the campo and have the doors open a lot the more chance of dusts in the air to clog the unit up.