Mobile Air-Con Units

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
cfc.Kimo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Mobile Air-Con Units

Postby cfc.Kimo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:07 pm

Has anyone got one ? Are they any good ? What is a good make ? How much does one cost ? Got mum coming out and don't want her getting hot under the collar. Thanks.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I have a Balay that cost about €450. Pretty useless really. You have to stick a great fat hose pipe out of the window and it is about as effective as a €15 fan.

Some of the problem could be due to the fact that it is designed to run on 220 volts a voltage which Sevillana/Endesa vary rarely achieves in this area. I sometimes wonder if we still have a 125 volt supply. :roll:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:18 am

:P Hey Beach..I think we got yours...we got up to 255 the other day .... only 216 at the moment...I've been checking for leaks can't find any...think it must evaporate on the poles :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:31 am

I have just taken Sevillana to court for melting the control panel on my generator (the only thing I can't protect with a UPS). It will be interesting to know the outcome!

They will probably cut me off completely if I have won!! :(

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Corte Ingles and other places are selling these units called convair basically a ventilator that has a filter behind which is kept constantly moist with water that has to be refilled once a day. Basic idea but it works well without any of the nasty health effects of refrigerated a/c and is only 45w i believe, i have them all over my house and i think theyre great

Corazones
Tourist

Postby Corazones » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 am

We use one of the "normal" portable a/con types and it's excellent for a small room, but useless in a big one unless you have plenty of extra capacity on your electricity supply for the most powerful model. It helps if you wrap insulation around the flexible vent hose, otherwise the warm hose returns much of the heat back into the room! I also made a plywood adaptor which fits the window opening, with a hole of exactly the right size for the hose. Still expensive to run, though.

We have had a holiday home for the past 6 years and have found that a cheaper way to keep cool is by comparing the readings on indoor and outdoor thermometers, using a fan to draw cooler air in immediately that becomes possible.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:46 pm

We've got a Balay unit, it's brilliant!! - Paid €399 for it last year.
Sorry Beach, is yours a dud! :oops: - We tested ours & it reduces the temp in the room by 4-6 degrees in 1hour, I know my fan doesnt achieve that.

I agree with Corazones "It helps if you wrap insulation around the flexible vent hose, otherwise the warm hose returns much of the heat back into the room!" - We wrapped a towel & masked tape around the hose & it reduced the temp by a additional 1.5/2degrees!

We had one of the convair units & I personally thought it was rubbish, does not change the room temp but does for some reason make the room smell nice. We kindly donated it to a friend with no a/c, he was grateful at 1st with the gesture but said it was a very expensive fan!

What is the difference between a/c units you fill with water & the ones that expel water?

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:09 am

Do a search for "swamp coolers".

They are/were used in the southern states of the US.

Can be very sophisticated with self cleaning self filling etc but they do work.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.