Are electric tools sold in street markets any good?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Daystar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Are electric tools sold in street markets any good?

Postby Daystar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:00 pm

I have thoughts of buying a hammer drill from my local street market as the drill I have has a small chuck and is hammerless. Has any one bought one from a street market and how did it go?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I haven't bought one from a street market but did buy a cheap SDS hammer drill from Leroy Merlin for 29 euros. It included a variety of bits and is still going strong 3 years later. The last time I went they were selling the same drill less bits for about 25 euros. I have seen the same drill in street markets for MORE money. Not sure what sort of guarantee you get from a street trader but you get a year or maybe two from Leroy.

If you are an occasional user I would say buy it because at that price the tool is almost "disposable". If you are a builder you will already know that known branded tools are a better bet long term for heavy use. One problem with the cheap hammer drill is that they are heavier than similar from say Bosch so you get fatigued quicker using them. No doubt they are made in the PRC, one day all drills will be made in China.

One final tip. Go for the SDS system it is more effective than the ordinary hammer drill.

olive

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Id buy something for the same price from leroy merlin or equivalent, more likely it will be of better quality

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:08 pm

Daystar

I have never bought one from a street market, but ask yourself this.

Would you buy one from a market in the UK?
Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

Daystar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Daystar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:19 pm

You are all probably right, I only really need a drill for the odd job, picture hanging etc., as Mrs D likes to move these things around a lot. :(
I usually use 10mm rawplugs with the largest "L" shaped hooks I can find, as one day a hanging pot plant is swopped with a lightweight picture. So I thought a hammer drill might ease my drilling into concrete and brick.
Thanks anyway :D

Fruity
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electrical Tools

Postby Fruity » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi

If you decide to go ahead and buy a new Electrical Drill then you may wish to check out Premier Tools in Coín, they stock a whole range of Draper tools and their website is in English and Spanish

Hope you find what you want :)

http://www.premier-tools.com/electric_tools.php

Fruity
Twisted and Curved...........I like that in a person

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:30 pm

You could try electrochollo in San Pedro too.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:02 pm

Daystar, buy only De Walt power tools, not cheap but will last a lifetime in the h.ands of a handy man, I have a small building company and try to use De Walt whenever I renew tools
Ah! the full english!!