Wooden Fence Posts

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Wooden Fence Posts

Postby telboy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:51 am

Wooden Post (rustic style) supplied by garden centres are weather treated in some way but over time they will split.

Is there a mastic that can be used (preferably transparent) that I can use to fill the gaps and protect the wood from insects and rain penetration.

Also for splits in the roof beams in rustic houses what can be used here?

Someone had suggested using polyurethene foam!

Also what is the best solution for ridding the beams of chomping carpenter bees? I can hear them but cant seem to find exactly where thay are!

pete_l
Resident

Re: Wooden Fence Posts

Postby pete_l » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:44 pm

telboy wrote: .....
Also for splits in the roof beams in rustic houses what can be used here?

Someone had suggested using polyurethene foam!
That "someone" might mean polyurethane adhesive, like this.
It's a bl**dy strong adhesive that does foam while it's curing, so it's important to keep the work clamped. Some say that the glue is stronger than the wood!. All I know is that if you get it on your fingers, it's there for a week until it finally rubs off.

You can get it in spain. I bought some last november .... sadly I haven't found any decent sized chunks of wood to glue-up (frustrated woodworker alert :evil: )

If you do use it, wear gloves.

pete

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 pm

most people we know with split beams live with it. My first thought too was to "filler" and then paint/finish off the lot. It is a big job to do!

The chomping carpenter bees sounds more like longhorn beetle( do a search on this forum as they crop up regularly). These make an unholy racket when they are chomping and are quite difficult to erradicate. You can buy liquid and aerosol type containers of a treatment from Xylasyl. The smaller tins come with a natty applicator to squirt into the holes on a regular basis to kill off the blighters as they later hatch from little eggs. Take precautions when applying this chemical (see tin). Look for small piles of sawdust on the floor from active holes above in a beam. The good news is it seems you need an awful lot of bettles before the beams collapse.

Good luck, olive

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:55 pm

What about creosote?