Hot tubs/spas

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hot tubs/spas

Postby Mariacristina » Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 am

Need some general advice please about advantages/disadvantages of spas. I live in the south of Cordoba Province. Can anyone recommend where I can get one?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Can't advise on where to buy one but we have looked after and used a friend's spa on a regular basis (I presume you mean the jacuzzi style of hot tub with massage jets?). He has built a room to put it in so it isn't affected by weathering and has kept like new. They wanted one as they aren't here in the height of summer and don't swim, and I must admit, I think I would use a hot tub far more than the pool (June to late Sept for the pool and the rest of the year in the hot tub!). It's wonderful on a chilly night to go and have a soak before bed time and it really warms you through and relaxes you.

The one we've looked after has an ultraviolet system for keeping the water clean and you must never put chlorine in it, just balance the ph. Clean the filter regularly and change the water every 2-3 months if it's in constant use. I do know of people who have never changed the water and then blast it with chlorine when they want to use it and then they wonder why the motors need replacing, not to mention the bacteria that could be lurking in it :?

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Fri May 02, 2008 2:29 pm

http://www.canadianspacompany.com/

We have had one from the above company for about 5 years now...

It's great, we use it more when it's cold than we do in the summer, but it is used every week ... in the winter we crank it up to 38 degree's

And cool it down to 35 in the summer... but thats in the uk, in spain we would cool it down to maybe 30, and use it as a cool ish plunge pool.

Ours has an ozonator to help keep the water clean along with 2 huge filters, and we keep the PH balanced and help it all along with clorine tabs... keeps the water good for about 4 months

It has one silent pump that circulates all the time, and 2 other pumps for the massage jets... I would not be without it...

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hot tubs/spas

Postby Mariacristina » Sat May 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Many thanks for information posted to date. Any more information would be very welcome.