Replacement Sand Filter in Pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Replacement Sand Filter in Pool

Postby burrotaxi » Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 am

We have a really small splash pool and have been informed that the Sand Filter has failed. Does anyone have an idea of the going rate for one as we are being quoted circa 500 euros and I wanted to check whether this seemed reasonable?

Thanks as always
BurroTaxi

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Tue May 20, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm assuming the filter has nothing to do with the pump? as we had a new pump last year.

More expense!
BurroTaxi

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 20, 2008 12:43 pm

If this price is the total for the new filter, sand, installation and removal of the old filter then the price is OK. If is just for the filter it is expensive. see here for an indication of prices:

http://www.baeza-sa.com/db/subfamilias/ ... amilia=293

A filter doesn't just 'fail'. It may be that one or more of the collector pipes in the bottom of the filter is broken. You should be able to replace this but all of the sand would have to be removed first.

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Apparently it is 'split both sides at the top and as it is pressurised it cannot be repaired'
As the guy who looks after the pool charges for maintenance he will normally fit items at no additional cost so this represents the cost of the filter. Is there much difference in quality, are there recognised makes of filter? what is best? He's always seemed to be honest in the past but I was out recently unannounced and noticed the pool hadn't been cleaned for some time.
BurroTaxi

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm

The Astral ones are fine. Also called SuperStar. They are the red ones shown in the link. Find the specifications on the plate of the one that is broken and compare the price on the web site.

If your pool man charges for maintenance on a weekly basis I would have thought it would fair for him to charge extra for his time in removing the old filter and disposing of it, collecting the new one and fitting it.

If it is split and is not too old this could have been caused by running the backwash without opening the waste valve! :(

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Tue May 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks Beachcomber. I think I have all the information I need! will check at the weekend, looking at the forecast we won't be using the pool anyway!!
BurroTaxi

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue May 20, 2008 9:17 pm

We have just bought one of the red ones this morning, including the valve and gadget for turning the lever to " rinse" "backwash" etc, for €175 from bricaluz.
hubby found it really easy to take our old one out and put the new in.
hope this helps.
karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Yes, as long as it is the same and the pipes coincide it is a fairly easy job.

There is some information here:

http://swimming.about.com/od/poolandspa ... olsand.htm

but this is only about changing the sand, not the filter as well.

J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Sand Filters

Postby J Cooke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

If it is split and is not too old this could have been caused by running the backwash without opening the waste valve

Confused here sorry how can you backwash and open the waste at the same time ????

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:38 pm

I meant the waste valve which may be on the waste pipe not the multiport valve. This is a valve which may or may not have been installed in the pipe that takes the water to waste. If there is one and it is left closed during backwash or rinse it means that the water cannot go to waste and pressure builds up.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 am

Re piping: my advice is "Beware the Spanish Plumber"!!
When our guy had 'finished' the pool and pumphouse, as a novice pool-owner I looked over all the valves, stop-c0cks and piping............on his next visit I asked him to show me how to do a backwash, but first, could he tell me if he could swim. He looked puzzled, then followed my gaze to the Hydra's head of tubes and stuff. It was funny watching the 50cent drop, as he realised that he had not connected the waste outlet from the pump - to anything! If anyone had done a backwash or suction to waste, the pumphouse would have filled with water.....................as Brian Deller says at the end of his excellent 'motoring' column in CdS News "Trust No-one" :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.