Tips to cure noisy ceiling fans?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Tips to cure noisy ceiling fans?

Postby Jool » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 pm

We have some ceiling fans and they can make a heck of a row sometimes and at others be almost silent. Any ideas on how to stop or reduce it? Its definitely not the lights rattling etc, I think its where the blades rotate inside the circular hub....but sometimes its sooo loud we can´t sleep.....strangely also if we leave a fan on for hours it sometimes stops making a noise but it gets expensive to do that for hours before bed...

We´ve jsut installed a new fan, expensive one and that is also noisy...duh :x

Don

Postby Don » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 pm

We have many and there is a trick to stick little pads or even thick sellotape under the head of every adjustment screw holding the glass shade. It is critical and for some of ours I put a large elastic band around the shade where the screws will contact and then tweak to silence. Fan blade balance is another thing if the whole unit is wobbling.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:47 pm

How about a squirt of WD40 :lol:
Life is 'ard den you die!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 pm

where?

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ceiling fans

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:05 pm

A thin fibre washer on the screw that hols the shade in place will stop the noise - it stops the vibration. It works!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:00 pm

THank you - I will work my way through them and see which is best/works, I knew someone would come up with something we haven´t tried...

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Jool wrote:where?
Wherever seems apropriate :lol:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:25 pm

OH will not put anything where I think it needs to go as he says the motor or moving parts should not be touched or squirted with anything yet it seems the most obvious place to me, its not the lamps rattling, that´s a different sound!!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Hate to suggest it but has it got something to do with the basic method of installation; what you are fixing them to for example?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Jool wrote:OH will not put anything where I think it needs to go
Isn't that just typical :roll: :wink:

Don

Postby Don » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:29 pm

If you are sure it is not the shades buzzing then it can only be the bearings of the rotating hub. Quite possible that they have become dry over time and that would explain noise coming and going as they heat and cool. Quite where to squirt a little WD40 depends on model but WD40 itself will not last that long although it will not harm the electrics and might prove where the problem is.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:19 pm

I agree, WD40 doesn't last but , if the problem is caused by a dust intrusion, it may wash it out. Here in the campo I find that the fine red dust gets into everything from the computer to our telescope and often a careful squirt will ease the problem. The dust is the oddest I have ever come across and it is almost impossible to get rid of as it seems to have some sort of magnetic quality!